NHL 2017-18

Bmac

I'd love for the Devils to bring back the red helmets. When they switched from green to black the red helmets were supposed to be carried over but the red helmet did not match the shade of red on the jersey and then decided to go with black helmets instead.

IMG_0005.jpg.3ad6b608a1b222bebe66f6457a16c9bc.jpg

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For some reason I am actually ok with Edmonton making the switch; I remember reading an Sportsnet article about how these are now Connor McDavid's Oilers and not Taylor Hall's Oilers after the offseason trade. Considering the fact that he was drafted in that sweater, these could be part of the brand. We associate the current look with Wayne Gretzky and the success, but he hasn't played in years and won't play again (other than possible future Alumni Games), and these jerseys seem like a beacon to the past of an icon and face of a franchise. But after decades of turmoil, and one of the worst times in franchise history , Edmonton may be looking to create a new brand for a new face of this storied franchise, using these jerseys, a look that future players can look to for inspiration just as we do with the current uniforms. And even though these are throwbacks, they were only worn for two seasons in the WHA, so they would basically be new for this franchise. Hopefully they make a white version with orange shoulders and numbers, because I could also see this being a temporary move to keep the orange sweaters in circulation for a year and the current whites until the thirds come back, and things go back to what they are this year. 

This is one instance where I'd be okay with a mismatched set.  The orange jersey looks great and makes for a solid alternate, but that road version doesn't do it for me at all.  I'd rather the classic 'dynasty' set live on in some capacity, even if it's exclusively on the road.  It would also pave the way to reintroduce the blue version as an alternate and... ugh.  This is just terrible news, no way around it.  The Oilers set is perfect right now. :angered:

53 minutes ago, Morgo said:

This is one instance where I'd be okay with a mismatched set.  The orange jersey looks great and makes for a solid alternate, but that road version doesn't do it for me at all.  I'd rather the classic 'dynasty' set live on in some capacity, even if it's exclusively on the road.  It would also pave the way to reintroduce the blue version as an alternate and... ugh.  This is just terrible news, no way around it.  The Oilers set is perfect right now. :angered:

As far as we know, this is for only one year until other wise noted by Adidas. They could introduce a handful of alternate uniforms for the 2018-2019 season and bring back the blue vintage jersey. 

Let's just hope if they bring back an alternate jersey, its a blue one - and not the 2000's Todd McFarlane one. Then we can panic.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

- Isn't the whole no alternates thing old news? Didn't this info come out a couple months ago?

- I don't like Edmonton promoting the orange alternate. The blue jersey (imo) is much better. The number font is pretty god awful and when you add the weird white outline it doesn't help especially when that same outline is added to the NOB and it becomes next to unreadable. Simply works best as an alternate. If they follow through with this they better keep their current pants to go with it since it's actually the pants they used back when they originally wore those jerseys (current alt pants don't have striping, originals did similar to the primary pants).

- I'm open to New Jersey doing something new for once. The Devils have easily the greatest aesthetic history in the league, but it has remained relatively unchanged since their founding (only 1 logo, 2 variations and 4 jerseys in their entire history). It better be good or else they look like fools. 

- Please Washington don't stick with the throwbacks. Just because they're better than what you currently wear doesn't mean they're good jerseys (I have to admit that the red alternate looks ok on ice). Everyone wants you to bring back the pre-Edge jerseys and guess what? THEY'RE BETTER! I mean at least bring back that color scheme.

- The one team confirmed to be promoting their alternate has to be Minnesota, right? It's basically been in the works for the last few years and I'm surprised they have yet to do it. Perfect opportunity. I've seen them more in the alternates than in their home reds.

- I think it's almost guaranteed that Ottawa, Colorado and Washington end up changing jerseys even if Chris doesn't believe so. These teams have had the same crappy Edge jerseys since Reebok took over and SHOULD change it up with Adidas. Columbus and Calgary are also in this pot, but I really don't see them changing considering how meh and accepted their jerseys are. Unfortunately, I doubt we see any major changes to any of these teams. If any of them do end up changing looks it well probably end up being along the lines of the rumors with the Caps and they'll all just promote an alternate. Ottawa --> Fauxback alternate. Colorado --> Most likely their current alternate, but I'd prefer the SS jersey with the logo changed with their primary. Washington --> Hate to say it, but their throwback. Columbus --> If they do change, it will be to something similar to their alternate with the colors changed (GET RID OF COPPERPLATE). Calgary --> Throwback.

What I think will end up happening:

Anaheim - Nothing. Gonna miss the alternate.

Arizona - Nothing. These jerseys are already tailor-made for Adidas.

Boston - Nothing.

Buffalo - No more grey. No more navy. No more chest numbers. Will re-adopt royal blue and their old jerseys.

Calgary - Honestly don't know. Their primaries have just started to grow on me, but it seems like bringing back the throwback is a sign of change.

Carolina - Nothing. Which sucks because their new set sucks (apart from the away which is just ok). Jerseys don't suit to logo at all. Do something new whydontcha.

Chicago - Nothing. Maybe add the shoulder logo to the arm stripes?

Colorado - Something will change just not sure to what.

Columbus - Nothing.

Dallas - Nothing.

Detroit - Nothing

Edmonton - Promotion of throwback.

Florida - Nothing

Los Angeles - Nothing

Minnesota - Promotion of alternate.

Montreal - Nothing.

Nashville - Nothing. But I hope they change because those jerseys have become so tired.

New Jersey - Complete re-branding.

NY Islanders - Nothing.

NY Rangers - Nothing.

Ottawa - New jerseys whether it be promotion of their alternate or something new. End our suffering ...

Philadelphia - Nothing.

Pittsburgh - Nothing.

San Jose - Nothing. Maybe finally add a hem stripe?

Tampa Bay - Nothing.

St. Louis - Nothing.

Toronto - Nothing.

Vancouver - Nothing. But they should. Once again, throwback promotion?

Vegas - Jerseys.

Washington - Throwback promotion (are you seeing a running trend?)

Winnipeg - Nothing. Although with the hoopla with their heritage jersey I could see them making those their primaries in a few years, I mean who doesn't want another blue and red team?

BTW can we please title this thread THROWBACKS THROWBACKS THROWBACKS THROWBACKS THROWBACKS

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

5 hours ago, Chico said:

I'd love for the Devils to bring back the red helmets. When they switched from green to black the red helmets were supposed to be carried over but the red helmet did not match the shade of red on the jersey and then decided to go with black helmets instead.

So like every team when they wear white? lol

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

11 hours ago, elliott said:

Edmonton? Good move.

-separates them from the last few years as they start a new era of winning

-separates them from the islanders.

-they stand to make A LOT of money right now with McDavid. Might as well introduce a new white jersey to sell that matches the orange.

They will simply bring back the blue jersey as an alternate when Adidas brings them back in 2018-2019. not a huge deal.

It's a terrible move. It doesn't match, and more important than separating them from the Islanders is that it separates them from their dynasty years, which was the whole point of bringing these back in the first place. The Gretzky uniforms are classics. Make money with McDavid's name on sweaters that don't suck.

The Devils are making a huge mistake and should be talked out of it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

8 hours ago, Armadillo said:

From Michael Russo at the Minneapolis Star Tribune:

Make the home a green version of the current roads, and we're done here, boys.

Assume it's something like their Winter Classics...only ya know, better.

IMG_4252.JPG

Put the Scenery Bear on the shoulders and the Minnesota script on the chest home and away. "Minnesota" in and of itself is a good brand for hockey. "Wild" is the worst name in sports.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Just now, the admiral said:

Put the Scenery Bear on the shoulders and the Minnesota script on the chest home and away. "Minnesota" in and of itself is a good brand for hockey. "Wild" is the worst name in sports.

I'm a fan, wearing a hoodie right now and couldn't agree more.

Still wish 17 odd years later we would have picked Polars, or even Voyaguers. Oh well.

At least they made up for it with the logo.

17 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Not worried about losing alternates for a season. My fear, though, is that teams will be given a choice between the alternate or regular home jersey and they'll choose the alternate thus creating Minnesota Wild like mismatches all across the league. Edmonton has already done this. 

The Devils don't need new uniforms and they have history, but it's a brave new world without Lou. 

I'm with you on the mismatches, McCarthy.

One thing I'm looking forward to with the new Adidas jerseys, and it appears this has already started with the World Cup jerseys, is the use of jersey materials to make lighter numbers.

The NBA introduced it like a decade ago where the main layer of the jersey numbers is actually just colored fabric while the outlines of the numbers are a kiss-cut twill or the appropriate color. (In the case of one color numbers, the twill around the edge is just the same color as the fabric.)

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Wouldn't that make it loook like the number has an outline, even if it's the same color (due to different materials and different weights)?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

35 minutes ago, Roger Clemente said:

One thing I'm looking forward to with the new Adidas jerseys, and it appears this has already started with the World Cup jerseys, is the use of jersey materials to make lighter numbers.

The NBA introduced it like a decade ago where the main layer of the jersey numbers is actually just colored fabric while the outlines of the numbers are a kiss-cut twill or the appropriate color. (In the case of one color numbers, the twill around the edge is just the same color as the fabric.)

7 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Wouldn't that make it loook like the number has an outline, even if it's the same color (due to different materials and different weights)?

yes and it looks like doodoo. 

The NBA teams have been very limited with what they can do with numbers ever since Adidas has been supplying their uniforms and a few teams had to up and change their numbers because adidas couldn't make their style happen. I'd hate to see NHL teams deal with the same roadblocks to creativity. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

52 minutes ago, Roger Clemente said:

The numbers at the World Cup were not fabric, they were perforated twill. 

Archived