NHL 2017-18

Bmac

Just now, wildwing64 said:

Well, yeah, of course they're different logos. But the core elements are there.

851161996.gif  865602016.gif

Going from this to that isn't really much different from the Pens going from this to that.

36ai6de8ef0svi6hiugcgpwjl.gif  3102.gif

yes but that penguins logo was NEVER USED by anyone else. If the avalanche UPDATED their logo that's fine, that's part of branding, but dont take someone else's logo. THAT"S MY POINT! How have you guys not realized this yet, I don't like it when teams rip off other teams. 

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Rollins Man said:

yes but that penguins logo was NEVER USED by anyone else. If the avalanche UPDATED their logo that's fine, that's part of branding, but dont take someone else's logo. THAT"S MY POINT! How have you guys not realized this yet, I don't like it when teams rip off other teams. 

But it's not exactly a carbon copy. Yes, it's obviously similar and deliberately designed to pay homage to the Rockies. They are after all another NHL team with a mountain themed identity that once played in Colorado. Less of a subtle homage than the stars in the Minnesota Wild logos, but it is what it is.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

17 minutes ago, Rollins Man said:

Minor league teams? Who cares about minor league teams? And the rockies taking their name from another rockies team is terrible. It's about as lazy as you could get. Show me someone in the nhl who took another teams logo and passed it off as theirs and got it right. 

Well see, this is the problem with discussing anything with you. You make some grand statement, and then when someone provides evidence that contradicts whatever you've said you go "no thats different it doesnt count open your ears!" and otherwise inelegantly move the goalposts.

First you want me to show you a team that's adopted an identity from another. I do. Now you're saying it doesn't count because no one cares about minor league teams? And now it's NHL teams only? Well ok!

The Ottawa Senators. They use the =O= logo of the original Senators (which the NHL considers a separate franchise) as an alternate.

Or even the Detroit Red Wings! Do you know the story of the Red Wings' logo? No? Ok.

See, they were the Detroit Cougars. Then they were the Detroit Falcons. And then they were sold to a fellow by the name of James E. Norris. Norris had played for the Montreal AAA Winged Wheelers, an amateur team that had won the first Stanley Cup back in 1893. The Cougars/Falcons franchise had been struggling on and the ice and financially, so Norris wanted to change things up to help establish a winning culture. He changed the name to the Red Wings and adopted a version of the Montreal AAA Winged Wheelers logo.

BxcP8YR.jpg

I would say the Red Wings' use of the Montreal AAA's winged wheel worked out pretty well for them.

40 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

yOrj9hm.png

...isn't the historical travesty you say it is. "Oh the Avs and Panthers had their 90s looks for decades!" Yeah, and some O6 teams wore stuff for decades before ditching it in favour of newer designs that had more staying power.

If the Avalanche weren't forced to shoehorn their identity on an awful RBK template, their original look would still be around today.  That's why the socks, logo and striping patterns haven't changed in 21 years.  I like how you state that the navy third has staying power when it's been around a whopping 2 seasons. 

Rollins man addressed your weak pre-world-war comparisons so I won't bother but if the above image is considered 'progression,' we are truly living in backwards land.  The Rock-alanche third looks like it was slapped together in under 5 minutes.  "If we could just put a recoloured Rockies logo on a paint-by-numbers template with an awkward, boxy shoulder yoke we'd be gold!"  I love how the flag adds two colours not found anywhere else on the uniform.  Because the genius's in their marketing department sure wouldn't want to go through the trouble of designing a real secondary logo.

3 minutes ago, wildwing64 said:

The core elements are also there in the Rockalanche thirds. Basically the same colour scheme, and the same type of logo, a triangle depicting a snowy mountain. That's not really them throwing away their identity. I could go as far as to say the Avs logo is essentially a 90's remake of the Rockies. Let's face it, if not for that pesky baseball team with the same name, they probably would have been named the Rockies today anyway.

The core elements are not there.  The Avalanche are and always have been a burgundy team.  They never used Navy as a trim in their entire history, let alone as their main colour and the original logo is not a static triangle.  It's an 'A' with an avalanche rushing down it.  Something the Rockies re-colour can't even be bothered to depict.  The new alternate looks like it belongs to an entirely different franchise.  An incompetent, visually illiterate one at that.

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

*Sarcastic use of Simpsons video*

Okay, I will address it then.  Pre-WWI to Post-WWII was a completely different era for uniforms and branding.  Teams like Bruins, Blackhawks, Leafs and Rangers tweaked their uniforms on a near-yearly basis.  This is not a fair comparison to the Avalanche set which remained more-or-less untouched for 11 years.  If it weren't for the Edge takeover, it would have been 21.  Differently named franchises aren't a fair comparison either.

KDG2oOc.pngos6B6MP.png
cCAyk5v.pngfMrSTOi.png

2 hours ago, Morgo said:

I love how the flag adds two colours not found anywhere else on the uniform.  Because the genius's in their marketing department sure wouldn't want to go through the trouble of designing a real secondary logo.

Says the guy with the Flames avatar.

----

I wonder how many of those old pre-WWII changes were made intentionally like "We need to change up our jerseys and socks for next season to have a fresh new look" and how many were made because Hudson's Bay stopped carrying that style or a player named Red "Wild Moose" McSutton lost his pair of socks in the coal mine during his off-season job so they had to order new ones for the whole team.

IEI5Tg1.png

2 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

But it's not exactly a carbon copy. Yes, it's obviously similar and deliberately designed to pay homage to the Rockies. They are after all another NHL team with a mountain themed identity that once played in Colorado. Less of a subtle homage than the stars in the Minnesota Wild logos, but it is what it is.

it's obviously a rockies styled logo. That's why they went with it because of the rockies connection. And they can use it if they want as a thrid but not as their main look, that's another teams logo, they already have theirs. 

2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Well see, this is the problem with discussing anything with you. You make some grand statement, and then when someone provides evidence that contradicts whatever you've said you go "no thats different it doesnt count open your ears!" and otherwise inelegantly move the goalposts.

First you want me to show you a team that's adopted an identity from another. I do. Now you're saying it doesn't count because no one cares about minor league teams? And now it's NHL teams only? Well ok!

The Ottawa Senators. They use the =O= logo of the original Senators (which the NHL considers a separate franchise) as an alternate.

Or even the Detroit Red Wings! Do you know the story of the Red Wings' logo? No? Ok.

See, they were the Detroit Cougars. Then they were the Detroit Falcons. And then they were sold to a fellow by the name of James E. Norris. Norris had played for the Montreal AAA Winged Wheelers, an amateur team that had won the first Stanley Cup back in 1893. The Cougars/Falcons franchise had been struggling on and the ice and financially, so Norris wanted to change things up to help establish a winning culture. He changed the name to the Red Wings and adopted a version of the Montreal AAA Winged Wheelers logo.

BxcP8YR.jpg

I would say the Red Wings' use of the Montreal AAA's winged wheel worked out pretty well for them.

almost all those teams you mentioned were just starting up and didn't out right take someone els'es branding just a name. Colorado has been around for over twenty years and has two titles to their name, why change to another team! The colorado rockies of baseball just share the same name, nothing else, the avs are taking the logo. 

46 minutes ago, Morgo said:

Okay, I will address it then.  Pre-WWI to Post-WWII was a completely different era for uniforms and branding.  Teams like Bruins, Blackhawks, Leafs and Rangers tweaked their uniforms on a near-yearly basis.  This is not a fair comparison to the Avalanche set which remained more-or-less untouched for 11 years.  If it weren't for the Edge takeover, it would have been 21.  Differently named franchises aren't a fair comparison either.

KDG2oOc.pngos6B6MP.png
cCAyk5v.pngfMrSTOi.png

exactly teams way back when were constantly changing their looks, even their names almost every year, the avs have been the same since day one. And they were very successful for a decade, and there look is still pretty much the same today. None of these examples i keep getting are a good comparison. The bruins, the leafs, the rags, the habs have a ll changed over the decades but the changes really haven;t been anything drastic since the 50's. It's a different time now and if you're going to rebrand do what those teams do update your brand, don't throw it out the window and try to dress up like a less successful team. Imagine if the wild started wearing the northstars logo on their main jerseys but with an M all of a sudden after nearly 20 years. How dumb would that be.

32 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Says the guy with the Flames avatar.

I've been very vocal with my criticism of the Flames current jerseys.  The clash flag is horrible and hopefully this is the last season of it.

1 hour ago, Rollins Man said:

almost all those teams you mentioned were just starting up and didn't out right take someone els'es branding just a name. Colorado has been around for over twenty years and has two titles to their name, why change to another team! The colorado rockies of baseball just share the same name, nothing else, the avs are taking the logo. 

Ok. So I'm an Avs fan (living in the Toronto area if that matters) who doesn't love the idea of adopting the Rockie logo.....assuming that's what is going to happen. Personally I think the "A" logo is way better. 

I'd like to ask you this, and I'm not trying to be rude or make a point. I actually am curious. 

You mentioned that "those teams were just starting up". 

So when does "just starting up" stop and the logo can't be changed anymore? Is it years or is it 'cause the Avs have won 2 cups?

this thread has gotten a little hostile so, just to reiterate, I'm just curious. Not judging, just asking. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

14 hours ago, TRoyConcepts said:

Was anyone here even old enough to watch the Rockies play?

Yes. But just barely. They moved to Jersey about a year or so after I first started watching hockey. And even at that, in the nascent days of cable, I probably only saw them once or twice when they played Montreal or Toronto on a Saturday night because all we got were Toronto HNIC on CBC English and Montreal HNIC on CBC French.

I'm old.

10 hours ago, mr.negative15 said:

Ok. So I'm an Avs fan (living in the Toronto area if that matters) who doesn't love the idea of adopting the Rockie logo.....assuming that's what is going to happen. Personally I think the "A" logo is way better. 

I'd like to ask you this, and I'm not trying to be rude or make a point. I actually am curious. 

So when does "just starting up" stop and the logo can't be changed anymore? Is it years or is it 'cause the Avs have won 2 cups?

this thread has gotten a little hostile so, just to reiterate, I'm just curious. Not judging, just asking. 

well if you're a team like say the winnepeg jets and you return and decide to name your team after the old jets that's fine. But when you're an already established long time team winning history i don't like the idea of not only dropping everything that represents your better days but replacing with an identity the is similar to that a much lesser franchise.

A logo can always be changed no matter how old the franchise, even toronto just changed their logo and boston updates theirs every so ofter. I'm not against logo changes they're kind of impossible to avoid, what i dont like is getting rid of your own look and replacing it with someone ele's look, especially when that someone else is a less successful team. If you're going to change the logo at least create something original and new.

10 hours ago, mr.negative15 said:

Even something like these or another modern take on the avs logo im fine with, at least it's still their logo. 

166a0d00969fe325d2ed11303d331547.jpgNew%20Colorado_zpsvmxkk2ot.png

47 minutes ago, Rollins Man said:

Even something like these or another modern take on the avs logo im fine with, at least it's still their logo. 

166a0d00969fe325d2ed11303d331547.jpgNew%20Colorado_zpsvmxkk2ot.png

The top one is way too overdesigned, and the bottom one looks to be using the mountains from the Jazz logos.  The idea behind the bottom logo is pretty awesome though.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived