NHL 2017-18

Bmac

45 minutes ago, wildwing64 said:

The old Lightning uniform is no more creative than the current one. It's still a basic striping design, and that logo really has not aged well. The new one's not perfect by any means but it's still an improvement over the original.

Unpopular opinion: I like the current Lightning uniform in spite of it being deliberately derivative. Something about that blue jersey just works for me. The white version less so because of the arbitrary "Tampa Bay" stuck on top of the logo. Note to Bolts management; that's not how you create an "iconic" brand.

Just add more silver and black to the uniforms and they'd be great.  Maybe make the logo a little flatter rather than the awkward quasi-3D oval.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, wildwing64 said:

The old Lightning uniform is no more creative than the current one. It's still a basic striping design, and that logo really has not aged well. The new one's not perfect by any means but it's still an improvement over the original.

The old Lightning uniform is absolutely more creative than the one used now.  Where in the NHL prior to 1991 did you see blue, silver and black used together?  No the striping was not original but the scheme more than made up for it.  All they needed to do was refine the logo, which they did in 2007.  Unfortunately it was saddled to a terrible template so now we're stuck with the bland Leafs ripoffs.

1 hour ago, Point1 said:

Did someone really just say that these are "actually creative"?

s-l300.jpgOttawa%20Senators%201995-96%20B%20jersey

There are plenty of reasons to prefer 90s jerseys to current ones but pretending that these aren't "click-and-fill templates" is ridiculous. The Senators O jersey is a hell of a lot more creative than either of these. Some people just have constant nostalgia blinders on. There are plenty of cases where 90s jerseys are aesthetically more interesting than current ones (I'd argue Florida, San Jose, and Anaheim are great examples) but there are also plenty of 90s jerseys that were boring as hell or just plain ugly.

Yes.  Prior to 1991 you never saw either of those colour schemes, which more than made up for the slightly derivative striping patterns.  You also never saw a logo like the original centurion which depicted its subject matter in an original and tasteful manner.  Someone praising the =O= jersey and talking about nostalgia blinders is absolutely priceless. 

43 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

There is nothing about those original Tampa Bay uniforms that requires saving. The color balance was pretty good, but was there anything really special about them? The uniform was pretty standard, and the logo is "meh" at best.

The colour scheme was worth saving and is a far better option than ripping off the Maple Leafs.  Every time those teams square off it's like watching a inter promotional scrimmage. 

35 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

That's subjective. Bucfan56 admitted to loving Nashville's inaugural look for how off the wall it was. Some people here are claiming that Tampa and Ottawa's 90s looks weren't anything special either. I bet if we took every uniform that debuted between 1990 and 1999 and asked posters to divide them up between uniforms they like and dislike? No two people would have exact lists. 

You mentioned the Avs' 90s look and the Hurricanes' 90s look in the same breath. To me? The Avs' 90s look is tired and dated but the Hurricanes' look still holds up today. "Only teams that got it right the first time" is hard to quantify.

The same holds true the other direction. Tampa, Carolina, Dallas, Ottawa, and Colorado all moved, or are moving, in the same general direction aesthetically. I find Tampa and Carolina's new traditional looks derivative and boring, but I think Colorado, Dallas, and Ottawa's more traditional looks are rather sharp. It's all subjective, and trying to fit stuff into universally accepted boxes doesn't work.

Fair enough.  I think the only time Dallas has looked better was when they were the North Stars with minor black trim.  So we agree on something.

1 hour ago, Morgo said:

Yes.  Prior to 1991 you never saw either of those colour schemes, which more than made up for the slightly derivative striping patterns.  You also never saw a logo like the original centurion which depicted its subject matter in an original and tasteful manner.  Someone praising the =O= jersey and talking about nostalgia blinders is absolutely priceless. 

Only slightly derivative... Well firstly the Senators are still wearing those colours on the O jersey, just with vintage white instead (a more "creative" colour than white). The 1990s Senators logo is completely lifeless, outdated, and screams 1990s corporate. What are the three things on the left side anyway?

Also, as a 20 year old I don't have a lot of nostalgia for the 1910s... I just think it's a pretty sharp jersey. I don't like the logo and there are plenty of things I would change about it (see my concept threads), but if I had nostalgia blinders I'd be advocating for the same boring set you are.

Not to mention the supposed uniqueness of the Lightning jerseys is counteracted by a.) there being almost no blue on the jersey and b.) the blue being almost indiscernable from the black from any distance further than 2 feet away.

1 hour ago, Morgo said:

The colour scheme was worth saving and is a far better option than ripping off the Maple Leafs.

That blue is not a great fit with black IMO.  It can look alright, but it's like walking a tight rope.  There's not great contrast.  My assertion was that it's not terrible, but it's not special enough that it needs to be saved.

This is probably not a great suggestion since the Leafs literally just did it, but they seem to have dropped silver as part of their regular color scheme?  I think the silver on the Centennial Classic jersey was just for the Centennial Classic?  I'd like to see the Lightning go blue/white/silver or gray.  Put some damn detail into that primary logo.

53 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

That blue is not a great fit with black IMO.  It can look alright, but it's like walking a tight rope.  There's not great contrast. 

The original Hawaiian blue didn't have this problem.  No idea why they swapped it out for the Leaf's blue in the late 90's.

4 hours ago, Morgo said:

Fair enough.  Though the flying V is never a good example to make a point :P

No because that change didn't happen organically.  The entire league was forced to adapt their designs onto restrictive and frankly, ugly templates.  If they hadn't it's highly plausible that many of the better designs from the 90's, that lasted until that implementation, would still be around today.                        

Not all 90's teams, just the ones who got it right the first time.  You don't hear me calling for Nashville to bring their 98 set back.

Vanquishing uniforms that were actually creative in favor of click-and-fill templates used by other teams is stagnating creativity.  It could be argued the creativity is at an all time low in the NHL right now.

vHmK3db.jpgx2oEUQv.jpg              ci5ywqy.jpgCAIkNrM.jpg
brMofzh.jpg7XqA5sx.jpg               BwNHMad.jpgCCJZShL.jpg

IMHO, the 90's jersey's for those 4 teams were better looking than the current jersey's. I think that Avalanche with the C in the middle is particularly awful.

I hate the new Buccaneers logo. Pewter was boring in 97, even more boring now.

4 hours ago, Rollins Man said:

give me these with the updated 3d logo for ottawa any day. Never really liked the original set but these were cool.

Ottawa-Senators-Jerseys.jpg

Chest stripe. Montréal ripoff.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

1 hour ago, Morgo said:

The original Hawaiian blue didn't have this problem.  No idea why they swapped it out for the Leaf's blue in the late 90's.

IMO it wasn't great in the first place, but the darker blue was darn near indistinguishable from black.  I had to turn up the brightness on my monitor to see an appreciable difference on the mothership just now.  Maybe a little brighter than the original blue would work, though.

41 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

not surprised you make yet another bad comparison, what is this your 8th terrible comparison? The stripe is clearly different from montreal along with entire rest of the template, but i guess i can't expect anything more from another foolish boy.  

15 minutes ago, Rollins Man said:

not surprised you make yet another bad comparison, what is this your 8th terrible comparison? The stripe is clearly different from montreal along with entire rest of the template, but i guess i can't expect anything more from another foolish boy.  

He was joking.

Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to take a step back from this thread, as you're getting a little hot-blooded here. Heck, we're all getting really hot-blooded in this thread. It's hard to believe this whole craziness started with the Wild's decision to wear North Stars' jerseys during their warm-ups about a week ago.

Just now, SFGiants58 said:

He was joking.

Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to take a step back from this thread, as you're getting a little hot-blooded here. Heck, we're all getting really hot-blooded in this thread. It's hard to believe this whole craziness started with the Wild's decision to wear North Stars' jerseys during their warm-ups about a week ago.

sorry it's just so hard to tell sometimes if he's being foolish on purpose or accidental sometimes.:unsure: 

I know i'm not the first one to say this but opinion, which this is all about, is not fact. That's about the only fact that can be said.

For example, over the years I've been on this board (about 10) I found there are a number of posters who's opinions I generally agree with. For the purpose of this post, @Ice_Cap is one that I generally agree with when it comes to hockey aesthetics. In this particular round of opinions, I disagree with his opinion on the Avalanche. I prefer their original look and logo. Does that mean that if I said "Hey they got it right in 1!" that I'm right because "I say so"? No. Of course not. If he thinks it's time the Avs move on? That's cool by me. Frankly I like their 3rds now too. I'd rather they stay 3rds but again, that's just me.

Just the same, as I agree with @Morgo that the =O= logo itself is kind of dull as a primary logo. Let's face it. It's just an "O". That said, I think it is still very cool because of it's nod to hockey history in Ottawa and, I like the jerseys that they are on. I also think they should leave the vintage white on those jerseys. So I've got a mix of all sorts of opinions when it comes to Ottawa. Does it mean I'm wrong or right? naw, just means that's what I like. To add my 2 cents? My second favorite Ottawa jersey is  this one:

Image result for ottawa senators blue jersey

I'll even admit it makes no sense that I really like the "really traditional" look just as much as I like their most gimmicky jersey ever. Whatever. I guess I like shiny things. 

I mean, that's part of the fun. I've seen jerseys that I've liked and come here and read people's opinions (and their reasoning as to why they have formed that opinion) and, as a result, have changed my opinions too. Frankly, when Tampa released their current uniform set, I didn't pick up right away that they looked like the "maple wings" as the joke was going around on the boards. Once I couldn't un-see that, I disliked them. But before that I like it. I felt like, after a number of changes over the years, they finally had one they could stick with. There's a great example of my opinion changing due to reading other thoughts and because of that, changing my mind. 

I'm rambling now.

I guess all I'm saying it's cool to have opinions and share them. It's cool to explain why. It's even cool to say "hey, I disagree with you because _____". But once you start getting mad and making statements of "you're wrong" or "I'm right" or....anything besides for "hey, ok we've talked about this for some time and we just don't share the same opinion". Then it's time to just step back. End of day: this world would be a very boring place if we all agreed on the same thing all the time. 

....We'd have a lot more teams like Tampa then, right? :P

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

15 hours ago, Morgo said:

The old Lightning uniform is absolutely more creative than the one used now.  Where in the NHL prior to 1991 did you see blue, silver and black used together?  No the striping was not original but the scheme more than made up for it. 

True enough. That colour scheme was unique to them. The rest of it still isn't any more creative as it's almost the same striping design as the current one. Not that it's bad in the slightest. I'd be all for the Lightning bringing this look back with an updated logo. Whether that means using the current one or they go ahead with yet another rebrand, which would be way too soon at this point.

15 hours ago, Morgo said:

Yes.  Prior to 1991 you never saw either of those colour schemes, which more than made up for the slightly derivative striping patterns. 

As for the Sens, the Blackhawks - or I should say, the "Black Hawks" at the time - used black, red and white as their main colour scheme between 1934 and 1955, before they switched to the current design and red became the dominant colour. But even then the original Sens predated both the Hawks and their use of the colour scheme. Either way, that's something the modern Sens can claim as their own. And a great way to set them apart from the other red and black teams.

The =O= look isn't particularly creative, but then the whole point of the heritage jersey was to pay homage to the original team. I don't know if I really prefer it over the Senturion bad pun is bad but in the context of what it's supposed to be, it works well. On top of that, it looks great. It's about as far away from the Sen head as you could get, but in a way I feel like it fits the locale better. It's one of things that just feels right. I'm absolutely in favour of the Sens going with this look full time, but if I had to choose between the =O= logo and the modern version of the 2D Sen head, I'd have to flip a coin.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

I'd be all for adopting the =O= full-time if it means getting their current logo off of the Stanley Cup banners from the 19-aughts.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

11 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

Excellent point. Being that it was a white-color-white stripe and it appeared on the back of the sweater it's actually closer to what Montreal uses than what Florida uses. Have a like and 17 Creamer Bucks to use in the CCSLC store. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Excellent point. Being that it was a white-color-white stripe and it appeared on the back of the sweater it's actually closer to what Montreal uses than what Florida uses. Have a like and 17 Creamer Bucks to use in the CCSLC store. 

it's a terrible point, that stripe is not even close to the same shape. If you can't see that it explains everything.  

Just now, Rollins Man said:

it's a terrible point, that stripe is not even close to the same shape. If you can't see that it explains everything.  

What part about that made you think I was serious? The part with the 17 Creamer Bucks or talking about a nonexistant CCSLC store? 

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 hours ago, Rollins Man said:

I think you need the trip to the CCSLC Store more than I do. Stock up.

triple-paste-ointment.jpg

Archived