NHL 2017-18

Bmac

The Weagle is a nice logo, but the fact that it looks 100 times better on a white background vs. a red or navy background limits its true marketability.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, tohasbo said:

Image result for capitals blue alternate jersey

I can't find the photo I had but IF the Capitals had ever gone with an alternate with the Weagle, this I think was the closest it would be minus the Capitals logos on the shoulders.

@Thaumatrope, what do you think?

Thanks for digging that up...I appreciate you taking the time to find it.

As others have pointed out (I'd love to attribute but I can't seem to quote you and advance to the next page of the thread) the Weagle logo really needs a thicker border in order to pop on a darker background. 

However, I think the bigger issue is that the jersey design that the Caps have been using since the launch of the Edge design are just sub-par.

So to that degree, perhaps you're correct in that the thirds *are* the better jerseys...I just wish they had a better logo (such as a tweaked version of the Weagle) to go with them.

12 hours ago, Thaumatrope said:

Thanks for digging that up...I appreciate you taking the time to find it.

As others have pointed out (I'd love to attribute but I can't seem to quote you and advance to the next page of the thread) the Weagle logo really needs a thicker border in order to pop on a darker background. 

However, I think the bigger issue is that the jersey design that the Caps have been using since the launch of the Edge design are just sub-par.

So to that degree, perhaps you're correct in that the thirds *are* the better jerseys...I just wish they had a better logo (such as a tweaked version of the Weagle) to go with them.

It's not the original one I had from years ago but it was close to it.  

The jersey design is just garbage.  The Bettman-esque stripes plus that weird white area make it too...weird.  I think the original image I have, the outline on the Weagle was much thicker.  My issue with the Weagle is that it is fine as a secondary logo but it is not something that should go as just a logo on a jersey.  MAYBE if it had a wordmark or something to go with it, it could work.

On 4/18/2017 at 8:44 AM, tohasbo said:

Image result for capitals blue alternate jersey

I can't find the photo I had but IF the Capitals had ever gone with an alternate with the Weagle, this I think was the closest it would be minus the Capitals logos on the shoulders.

@Thaumatrope, what do you think?

I don't think the weagle works on the chest.  Creates too much empty space. 

90758391980.gif

15 hours ago, Morgo said:

Every tweak Nashville has made since the unveiling has been a downgrade.  Especially reversing the sock treatment on the road uniforms.

The sock switchemup on the roads is a weird choice and nobody, not even PK, looks cool in a yellow hockey helmet, but I like the addition of the yellow stripe on the pants. I'm always in favor of extra flair on hockey breezers. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

That Capitals concept is way too Columbus for my taste. Then again, hell, Columbus and their Union Army theme looks way more "Capitals" than Washington does. Which is where going blue for Washington gets iffy - nobody wants to look like a division rival, but with similar themes and colors, there's that risk.

So, if Washington went back to blue, I think it'd be cool for them somehow go about modernizing what they did in the 90's. I still think the diving eagle logo was pretty baller and always loved these sweaters:

32327.jpg379369_display_image.jpg?1307794617

Fix that goofy font and that'd be the best the Capitals ever looked save for the bugsplat logo. The weagle and poor-remake-of-an-already-awful-70s-wordmark-logo suck. Somehow, that shade of blue and gold feels more conducive to "Washington Capitals".

oBIgzrL.png

To me, the ideal Capitals' jersey would be the weagle on a red background. Given that the weagle is predominantly blue, it would pop well enough on a red background, especially with a thicker white border. And if need by, they could invert the red and white when applying it on a red background, to make it a blue eagle with white wingtips.

The weagle doesn't work very well on a blue background, but thankfully that's not really problematic, given that the Caps traditionally wear red jerseys at home (save for that misguided Wizards color scheme).

I really miss the blue and bronze color scheme of the mid-90s to mid-aughts...but I don't think it really made sense for the Capitals.

If there ever was a team that needed to be decked out in red, white, and blue its the Caps. 

Maybe the BlueJackets could make it work...

I did really like the blue jersey, but I thought the white one was just meh and the black alternate -> away -> home jersey was just awful - even in decent lighting you can't read the bronze names & numbers on that thing very well at all. I think them making it the primary is what ruined that set, inadvertently paving the way for the RWB comeback in 2007.

6 hours ago, McCarthy said:

The sock switchemup on the roads is a weird choice and nobody, not even PK, looks cool in a yellow hockey helmet, but I like the addition of the yellow stripe on the pants. I'm always in favor of extra flair on hockey breezers. 

Agreed.  I forgot that was a recent addition.

1 hour ago, Thaumatrope said:

I really miss the blue and bronze color scheme of the mid-90s to mid-aughts...but I don't think it really made sense for the Capitals.

If there ever was a team that needed to be decked out in red, white, and blue its the Caps. 

Maybe the BlueJackets could make it work...

The Capitals should definitely use Red, White and Blue but I really feel like they threw the baby out with the bathwater.  The eagle was in my opinion, the best logo they've ever used.  Red, white and blue with minimal bronze on the logos would have been really striking.

The Caps look best in red, white, and blue, with their throwback style with the stars across the top. I'm not a huge fan of having the name spelled out on the front, but I'm not a huge fan of the Weagle either. But at least it's not the capital. That was ugly. And the Weagle is better than the swooping eagle.

Anyone else find it ironic that the Caps wordmark is all lowercase?

22 hours ago, kroywen said:

To me, the ideal Capitals' jersey would be the weagle on a red background. Given that the weagle is predominantly blue, it would pop well enough on a red background, especially with a thicker white border. And if need by, they could invert the red and white when applying it on a red background, to make it a blue eagle with white wingtips.

The weagle doesn't work very well on a blue background, but thankfully that's not really problematic, given that the Caps traditionally wear red jerseys at home (save for that misguided Wizards color scheme).

Not only do I agree with making the Weagle the primary but my ideal Capitals jersey is using the retro template, with a slight update, and putting the Weagle on the front. Always loved the white yokes on the reds - screams "Capitals" to me.

On 4/17/2017 at 6:55 PM, MiK said:

Nashville wearing the yellow domes tonight

On 4/17/2017 at 8:04 PM, Sodboy13 said:

They adopted them full-time this season, regrettably.

Absolutely L♡VE the yellow helmets. After San Jose, Nashville is whom I'm rooting for to win the Cup because of their dominant yellow look. I just wish the NHL can return to lights at home and then the Predators can wear a matching navy set on the road. 

23 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Not only do I agree with making the Weagle the primary but my ideal Capitals jersey is using the retro template, with a slight update, and putting the Weagle on the front. Always loved the white yokes on the reds - screams "Capitals" to me.

This! The current Caps uniforms look awful cause of the contrasting stripe on the underside of the arm, vertical stripes don't work in hockey.

Siginature.png.90aaa7d86f8ba1448206f0cbc8f97442.pngBahamasBowl_SIG.pngCxpIxxZ.png

Weagle is an awkward, unbalanced, top heavy design - concept is nice but it is weakly executed IMO and most certainly does not work as a primary chest mark.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Archived