NHL 2017-18

Bmac

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, insert name said:

But there's multiple games to be played in the series. Look at the NBA. They call it "The Finals" not "Final". 

Until you give the entire playoffs a different term than the 'stanley cup finals', then the actual final series match up should not be coined the same thing. I still think of the Stanley Cup Final as being the final round, not an individual game. It's all in the context of the NHL playoffs. Works for me.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

5 minutes ago, sparky chewbarky said:

Each game is not a "final" on its own, so the event cannot be a number of finals. 

I think the NHL has it right.

The entirety of the playoffs should be called the playoffs, with the final series being the Finals.. Is that not what they do?

On 5/29/2017 at 9:11 PM, the admiral said:

Those sweaters were from after the NHL went buck wild on thirds, but before designers starting writing elaborate narratives to explain that the stripes represent the city's historic masking tape industry or whatever. Same with the Rangers and "well, there's a Statue of Liberty head which is new and clever but still classic clunky drop-shadowed numbers and also some navy blue and silver angled stripes because uh I unno." You could barf any old idea out of your head and take it to market. 

NHL propertires probably had the template ready for anybody and threw an Islanders logo on it when the team came to them looking for an alternate. 

And the Islanders being the Islanders were like "yeah that makes no sense for us and our logo looks kind of weird dropped in between the spikes, but whatevs we're just flying by the seat of our pants right now"

PvO6ZWJ.png

13 minutes ago, Morgo said:

I wish the Sabres would go back to Red, Slate and Black.  *ducks*

*Waits for you to duck, aims lower and throws a puck with a goat head logo on it at you*

In all honesty, I didn`t really mind those. I think they get hated on because the Sabres went from basically a timeless, classic look and went complete 90`s. 

sig.png

45 minutes ago, Morgo said:

I wish the Sabres would go back to Red, Slate and Black.  *ducks*

The Sabres' best logo came out of that period.

35.png

This logo in royal/yellow (with some simplified detailing) was the perfect primary crest for the team. Just because they're a Buffalo team doesn't mean they have to have a buffalo in their logo. Pair it with an updated B-sword, and you've got fantastic set.

1 hour ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

*Waits for you to duck, aims lower and throws a puck with a goat head logo on it at you*  I think they get hated on because the Sabres went from basically a timeless, classic look and went complete 90`s.

That's a little extreme :P

Red, black and silver was a definitely an overused scheme but it suited the name 'Sabres' so much better than the tranquil colours of Royal and Yellow.  When I think of swords, silver, black and even red come instantly to mind.  Maybe the Buffalo head hasn't aged well as a flat logo but as an embroidered crest, it was a work of art.  The success they had in the late 90's to mid 00's may have something to do with it but I really miss seeing those jerseys on the ice.

I didn't care for the drastic change in color scheme, but I liked the '90s logo. I've seen some nicely recolored versions on this site, and it would be a good shoulder logo for the current/upcoming set.

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

3 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

*Waits for you to duck, aims lower and throws a puck with a goat head logo on it at you*

In all honesty, I didn`t really mind those. I think they get hated on because the Sabres went from basically a timeless, classic look and went complete 90`s. 

I completely agree. In a vacuum, the "goat head" logo and color scheme were great IMO. But they should not have been a replacement for a club that had 20+ years of history with the old logo and the royal blue and gold.

6 hours ago, Ti-Nick said:

According to a Buffalo radio station, the Sabres will go back to royal blue, remove silver from their color palette and get rid of the ugly piping. Seems too good to be true.

Any word about removing the awful front numbers?

The Sabres in blue and yellow and the sabres in black and red feel like two totally different franchises. I don't prefer either.

The black and red version feels like a rival to the Stars. The blue version feels like a team with a lot of history but nothing really noteworthy to claim.

They could readopt the black and red and I wouldn't bat an eyelash. It feels just as much their "right" color scheme to me.

While I totally understand that black, red, and grey aren't "Buffalo Sabres" colors, can we take a minute to appreciate just how awesome the jersey was?

Maybe it's just me, but the fact that the jersey striping creates a stylized buffalo head (most notably on the home/white jersey) makes it one of the most clever designs in sports history.

buffalo-head.jpg.84ebec09497bfc2328e44ba5de55c67a.jpg

the biggest legacy of the goathead has to be that every youth team on the east coast used that template at one time or another. You could play a full schedule of seeing the same template over and over and over.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

1 hour ago, hockey week said:

the biggest legacy of the goathead has to be that every youth team on the east coast used that template at one time or another. You could play a full schedule of seeing the same template over and over and over.

Quite a few high schools too. I think because it managed to capture the turn of the century hockey zeitgeist. 

1 hour ago, Thaumatrope said:

While I totally understand that black, red, and grey aren't "Buffalo Sabres" colors, can we take a minute to appreciate just how awesome the jersey was?

Maybe it's just me, but the fact that the jersey striping creates a stylized buffalo head (most notably on the home/white jersey) makes it one of the most clever designs in sports history.

buffalo-head.jpg.84ebec09497bfc2328e44ba5de55c67a.jpg

Yet a lot of people on the boards see it as a "click and fill template"

Archived