NHL 2017-18

Bmac

Rather than have the two versions of it, I'd prefer they have the one with the white ice. In that one the color balance is just about 50/50 so for those concerned with how the logo blends on the jeresy, on the road the blue orca will stand out, on the home the ice will. Works for me. 

However, with their near inaugural style uniform, I feel like the stick in rink fits better. Love their third jersey. The orca needs more of a modern design, albeit not crazy modern. 

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, uniformity said:

OK so the Predators appear to be wearing mustard and the Red Wings are now in maroon. Either the pictures are darkened or something is up. Could this mean that the Oilers aren't in navy blue after all? Discuss.

I'm pretty sure it's only because of the shadow around the edges of the photos.

5 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

Unless [the Rockies logo is] now a shoulder patch...

They'll probably just use the Colorado patch they have now.  I'm very curious to see what they do with the striping.  Could we actually get the mountain range back or will we see something a little more traditional and subdued.  I don't think there's any way the piping and side panels return.  The mothership reported a new jersey design and not even the Avalanche could be that incompetent*.

*Though we've been wrong before

8 minutes ago, Morgo said:

They'll probably just use the Colorado patch they have now.  I'm very curious to see what they do with the striping.  Could we actually get the mountain range back or will we see something a little more traditional and subdued.  I don't think there's any way the piping and side panels return.  The mothership reported a new jersey design and not even the Avalanche could be that incompetent*.

*Though we've been wrong before

I have a strong feeling that with all the losing, Sakic makes the move and brings back the Cup-winners to re-energize the look and distract the fans from all the losing ahead with a classic jersey.

I know this is not a big surprise, as it keeps with what happened with the Reebok jerseys, but the retail authentics are NOT going to be the same as the actual gamers. Some small changes in materials and some logo applications ( see the World Cup Team NA jersey for an example, the XVIII on the sleeve was different) but they will likely be closer to the gamers than the current Reebok authentics are. 

Eagerly anticipating the jersey reveals, I've never seen a big change be as locked down as this one has been. 

I can't stand the orca logo, but I'm okay with it because I understand there isn't a single look the Canucks could implement that would please everyone, and the colours and striping are perfect, so I'd be worried they'd screw up the striping as well if they decided to ditch the logo.

For some reason I suspect Colorado will be implementing some new striping pattern that isn't the edge uniforms or the mountain range

8 hours ago, TRoyConcepts said:

Haven't heard anything about Ottawa?

Well when new team president Tom Anselmi mentioned potentially changing the logo, he did say that it was too late to make any changes for the upcoming season. It's likely we see a minor update to the template this year, with hopefully a switch to the heritage set (or at the very least black at home & the elimination of the current logo) coming for 2018-19.

1 hour ago, OhioSportsMan61 said:

Here's a guess at what I think Colorado and Minnesota will unveil

Your Colorado concept is proof they don't have to throw everything out to move to a more traditional look.  I just don't think the burgundy and blue should ever touch as that's the main reason why the current road is vastly superior to its home counterpart.

4 hours ago, Chromatic said:

I can't stand the orca logo, but I'm okay with it because I understand there isn't a single look the Canucks could implement that would please everyone, and the colours and striping are perfect, so I'd be worried they'd screw up the striping as well if they decided to ditch the logo.

The Canucks will never have a look that would please everyone BUT they can have a look that would please the overwhelming majority. That look consists of an orca-less blue, green and white jersey with Johnny Canuck and the original Stick In Rink with one logo being the primary crest and the other being the secondary logo. I would keep the white inner border C from the updated SIR. The cheap Agency font is replaced by the traditional block-style font.

JohnnyC_flag.jpg.cf.jpg

20170329_123918.jpg

9 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

The Canucks will never have a look that would please everyone BUT they can have a look that would please the overwhelming majority. That look consists of an orca-less blue, green and white jersey with Johnny Canuck and the original Stick In Rink with one logo being the primary crest and the other being the secondary logo. I would keep the white inner border C from the updated SIR. The cheap Agency font is replaced by the traditional block-style font.

JohnnyC_flag.jpg.cf.jpg

20170329_123918.jpg

My ideal look for the canucks would be to simply put the modern Stick in Rink on the current home and away, with Johnny on the shoulder, and the 94 skate jersey as thirds.

However, my point is that if the Canucks redesign their jerseys, they run the risk of ruining their striping/colours. Which they've gotten perfect. Even if they were to promote the current stick third to full time, it would be an overall downgrade because the striping is so much worse. 

10 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

My ideal look for the canucks would be to simply put the modern Stick in Rink on the current home and away, with Johnny on the shoulder, and the 94 skate jersey as thirds.

However, my point is that if the Canucks redesign their jerseys, they run the risk of ruining their striping/colours. Which they've gotten perfect. Even if they were to promote the current stick third to full time, it would be an overall downgrade because the striping is so much worse. 

How does changing out a logo affect the striping?

Just now, dont care said:

How does changing out a logo affect the striping?

Because as I said, if the Canucks are going to make a change to their jerseys its very possible they'll make changes to the striping/colours rather than just switching out the logo.

8 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

What I don't like about the updated Stick In Rink is that the stick looks crooked and cartoony. That's why I took the classic and timeless original version and filled in the green border and opened up the white inner border, therefore, forming the 'C'. The striping can go back to the original two thick green stripes but with white outlines to separate the green from bleeding into the blue. White V's would be put on the arm stripes.

1 minute ago, VancouverFan69 said:

What I don't like about the updated Stick In Rink is that the stick looks crooked and cartoony. That's why I took the classic and timeless original version and filled in the green border and opened up the white inner border, therefore, forming the 'C'. The striping can go back to the original two thick green stripes but with white outlines to separate the green from bleeding into the blue. White V's would be put on the arm stripes.

That's fair. I like the updated one because I feel like the increased size of the stick and the angle of it cuts down the negative space, increases the obviousness of the 'C' even more, and it makes such a static logo a tiny bit more dynamic. I also like the addition of silver and the increased size on the 'boards' of the rink.

16 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

That's fair. I like the updated one because I feel like the increased size of the stick and the angle of it cuts down the negative space, increases the obviousness of the 'C' even more, and it makes such a static logo a tiny bit more dynamic. I also like the addition of silver and the increased size on the 'boards' of the rink.

It's just that with the angled stick, it makes the rest of the logo look crooked when looking at images of the jersey worn in action. Any NHL logo that contains a hockey stick should have a stick that looks realistic. Major League Baseball is very adamant about realistic-looking baseballs in their teams' logos.

10 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

It's just that with the angled stick, it makes the rest of the logo look crooked when looking at images of the jersey worn in action. Any NHL logo that contains a hockey stick should have a stick that looks realistic. Major League Baseball is very adamant about realistic baseballs in their teams' logos.

Well hockey isn't the MLB. I don't think they're required to have realistic looking sticks any more than Colorado needs a realistic mountain, Pittsburgh need to have an anatomically correct penguin or Vegas needs a historically accurate Spangenhelm as their logo. 

It looks more like part of a stick rather than the entire thing. Besides, hockey sticks aren't 180 feet long either and ice isn't royal blue. I think of it more as a representation of a stick rather than a literal depiction. Similar to the hockey stick 'L' in the Capitals logo rather than the stick in the Sharks logo. 

Archived