NHL 2017-18

Bmac

23 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Replicas will be made by Fanatics, so I think these are authentics.  But as someone mentioned before, it's probably how it's done now due to weight.

Depressing. Part of what I like about jerseys is the (for lack of a better phrase) craftsmanship of the garments.  Seeing actual stitching of each layer is a part of that for me. Looking up close at an authentic jersey is almost meditative to me...seeing outlined numbers/letters like this negatively impacts that.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, McCarthy said:

What the hell are the Oilers doing? That's definitely navy. 

They finally get their uniforms right again and then they go with orange for their playoff run and drop royal blue for navy like it's the mid 90's again. 

Going to navy looks better, and helps differentiate them from the islanders

1 hour ago, habsfan1 said:

The front looks grey to me and the back looks black. Lighting or each side is a different color?

Maybe i'm reading into the word this being in quotes too much.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

1 hour ago, Mingjai said:

Matching jerseys are overrated:

Canadiens66.png

Rangers42.png

I would argue that those "match" even if they aren't "identical." They are both obviously part of a matched uniform package, especially with the same logo/wordmark front and center. The Wild do not have that distinction, not even close.

Wild09.png

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

2 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

Are the Blackhawks the only team that hasn't posted any teaser?

McDonough is really into the untouchability of the sweater. Like when the Devils didn't promote the Edge redesign, he could be holding off on teasers because his message is that there's nothing to tease.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 minutes ago, the admiral said:

McDonough is really into the untouchability of the sweater. Like when the Devils didn't promote the Edge redesign, he could be holding off on teasers because his message is that there's nothing to tease.

Oh, I know that. That's gotta be why they've been silent on this.

21 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I would argue that those "match" even if they aren't "identical." They are both obviously part of a matched uniform package, especially with the same logo/wordmark front and center. The Wild do not have that distinction, not even close.

Wild09.png

I agree with you on the broader sense of matching the entire look and feel. My point--and this is all semantics--was that I don't feel that home/away jerseys need to be completely symmetric. But I agree that uniforms that are asymmetric should match in a broader sense.

Looking at the Wild current set, it's the white jersey that is the sore thumb. Not enough wheat (or whatever they call their antique white), squared shoulders instead of rounded yokes like red and green. I know this might be unpopular, but if the Wild are going to continue to use antique white, they should own it and make their away completely antique white like the 2004 Eastern Conference All Stars or the various cream MLB uniforms.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

3 hours ago, Jack Holmes said:

Maybe they want to give McDavid a distinct era compared to Gretzky.

That very well could be it, but I don't think it's necessary. Not that the Oilers are necessarily on the same level as the Yankees, but there's a sort of aura and strength to looking at all of thier greats and having them linked together by, save some tweaks, essentially the same uniform. The Mantle era and Jeter era were 40-50 years apart, yet that timeless brand links them together regardless of them being distinctly different eras. I don't think you lose anything by allowing another generational great like a McDavid to wear what your other greats wore; in fact, I think you gain something brand-wise by doing so.

Again, not saying that the Oilers = Yankees, but I see Gretzky and McDavid wearing the same essential uniform and see the potential for that sort of Yankee effect, and it's a great thing to go for. I don't see even a singular color change allowing for the same feeling to happen.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I'm definitely not an expert on textiles/embroidery but is it weird that the Adidas logo is on a patch which is then sewn onto the jersey rather than like the example below where it is embroidered directly onto the fabric?

Embroidered-Adidas-Logo.jpg.e02c0421a8fb14e3d57aec4481b771fd.jpg

31 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

It should be the Islanders doing this rather than the Oilers, in my opinion. 

Perhaps it's me being an Islanders fan, but I totally disagree. Royal blue is the color of our dynasty.

And while you could say the same for the Oilers, I think the navy will work better on them. It'll bring out the orange a lot more, and I think it'll be at least a little easier to look at. It could just be the lighting, but judging from their teasers, I think it'll look good.

Could be wrong though. I'll have to see on June 20th.

3 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

3 hours ago, mr.negative15 said:

Looks like the plain black jersey in the teaser.

I recall Winnipeg also used a plain black jersey at the draft the year they moved. 

Looks to me like they've grey scaled the back photo for some reason. Can't be revealing too much now! I hope I'm right

We already got a photo of the front confirming the use of that greeny-bluey-whatever-they're-calling-it-grey. Unlike the Jets, the Knights have already had several months in advance to have jerseys ready for the draft.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

7 minutes ago, wildwing64 said:

Looks to me like they've grey scaled the back photo for some reason. Can't be revealing too much now! I hope I'm right

We already got a photo of the front confirming the use of that greeny-bluey-whatever-they're-calling-it-grey. Unlike the Jets, the Knights have already had several months in advance to have jerseys ready for the draft.

To add to that, the Penguins teasers show an obvious difference in lighting between the front and back pictures. Not enough to totally explain the difference for Vegas, I'll grant, but it's something.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Archived