Luke_Groundrunner

Ice Cube, and Allen Iverson formally announce the BIG3 (3-on-3 Professional Basketball League).

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

A lot of people seem to genuinely like this league so far (both live in arena and watching on TV). Only gripe most have is that the games aren't televised or streamed live. Part of me feels like they're using this season to get a better idea of how much TV time would be needed for potential live games in the future.

Will you or others really sit by your phone/laptop for 5-6 hours on a Sunday to watch this?

 

Week 1 had just 400K viewers. That's not much, even for the summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

Will you or others really sit by your phone/laptop for 5-6 hours on a Sunday to watch this?

 

Week 1 had just 400K viewers. That's not much, even for the summer.

NHL games on NBCSN this year averaged 336,000 viewers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Still hard to compare as Big3 guys are getting $10K/week. Meanwhile at the peak AFL got $2,500 (more for QBs), plus under the table payments to better talent which still continues.

 

Their "peak", with Elway and BonJovi ownership plus NBC TV money was basically when the AFL was its least financially stable.

Highest paid player before the 'implosion' was Graziani who signed a reported 3-year $450,000 deal, which worked out to just under $10k/game, not counting playoffs. And that was the highest paid player in the league. Ever. At least reported. The AFL had this nasty habit of not publicizing contracts, and it was apparent that San Jose was subsidizing players through some other means.

 

Anyways, back to the topic. Watch part of one game. It was interesting. I didn't realize it wasn't full-court. I'm not sure where, but I don't recall it being stated that it wasn't. It made the viewing angle strange for television. But, the game was lively and the 'first to 60' made the final 10 points or so quite exciting. And so much better than NBA or NCAA where it becomes a free-throw contest. Which is my biggest gripe with basketball as a sport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

Highest paid player before the 'implosion' was Graziani who signed a reported 3-year $450,000 deal, which worked out to just under $10k/game, not counting playoffs. And that was the highest paid player in the league. Ever. At least reported. The AFL had this nasty habit of not publicizing contracts, and it was apparent that San Jose was subsidizing players through some other means.

 

Anyways, back to the topic. Watch part of one game. It was interesting. I didn't realize it wasn't full-court. I'm not sure where, but I don't recall it being stated that it wasn't. It made the viewing angle strange for television. But, the game was lively and the 'first to 60' made the final 10 points or so quite exciting. And so much better than NBA or NCAA where it becomes a free-throw contest. Which is my biggest gripe with basketball as a sport.

If you didn't know Big3 wasn't half court, I have know idea where you were on the Internet.

 

Everyplace, including this board was clear it was 3-on-3. The founders were clear it was 3-on-3.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

NHL games on NBCSN this year averaged 336,000 viewers.

 

Doesn't that impact how crappy NBCSN is?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

 

Doesn't that impact how crappy NBCSN is?

Is FS1 much better?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big3 may or may not be paid by FOX for airtime. Big3 itself told media outlets that the TV rights were complicated

 

I think it means airtime was bought.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Big3 may or may not be paid by FOX for airtime. Big3 itself told media outlets that the TV rights were complicated

 

I think it means airtime was bought.

 

I don't think that's unusual for a startup. If they can sustain an audience like that, they'll get someone to pay for the rights. Even if they paid for the airtime, there's still ads to be sold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, dfwabel said:

If you didn't know Big3 wasn't half court, I have know idea where you were on the Internet.

 

Everyplace, including this board was clear it was 3-on-3. The founders were clear it was 3-on-3.

 

I've never know that there was a rule that 3-on-3 was definitely half-court. As if there were some basketball rulebook for a league that hadn't yet existed what their game play would be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I don't think that's unusual for a startup. If they can sustain an audience like that, they'll get someone to pay for the rights. Even if they paid for the airtime, there's still ads to be sold.

Correct. It just means the broadcaster isn't the one taking a chance on you succeeding or failing. You fail, they still get paid. You still get to sell your own commercials just the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a great way to make sure there's no year 2 of Big 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

That's a great way to make sure there's no year 2 of Big 3.

They cannot return to Philadelphia. The courtside seats were $750. If you watch tonight, following the midpoint concert, most of the audience left as Iverson's team was to play after the break.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some fan tweeted that he was super disappointed. Ice Cube replied "me too". 

 

Without having read read the article, I'm just assuming he was super hungover, or high or something. Been hearing on radio how pissed off people are that even regular ass tix were going for $150ish per to see him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Iverson has looked completely broken down in the BIG3. May be fair to say he's got nothing left to pro basketball at any level. Considering how he has been marketed as the league's marquee player it's a little disappointing. However I've been pleasantly surprised by the overall quality of play in this league.

 

Best case scenario for the BIG3 going forward would be to secure as many recent big name former NBA players as they can for a 2018 season. Obviously they'd need to be in better condition than Iverson is in lol.

 

Far as Iverson goes, his best option would be just coaching going forward. Even if he has to shut himself down for the remainder of this season. He's got nothing left to give and nothing less to prove as a player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Iverson has looked completely broken down in the BIG3. May be fair to say he's got nothing left to pro basketball at any level. Considering how he has been marketed as the league's marquee player it's a little disappointing. However I've been pleasantly surprised by the overall quality of play in this league.

 

Best case scenario for the BIG3 going forward would be to secure as many recent big name former NBA players as they can for a 2018 season. Obviously they'd need to be in better condition than Iverson is in lol.

 

Far as Iverson goes, his best option would be just coaching going forward. Even if he has to shut himself down for the remainder of this season. He's got nothing left to give and nothing less to prove as a player.

I agree. His body took a beating throughout his NBA career. Combining that with he not taking great care of it, he is completely done on the professional level.

 

I personally think that he has been embarrassed by his play in the fledgling league and didn't want to disappoint his Philly fans. Many people in this area have fond memories of him and he might have thought that this would tarnish them.

 

Full transparency would have been nice but then again, AI hasn't always made the best of decisions. He needs to go the coaching route in order to remain in the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

I agree. His body took a beating throughout his NBA career. Combining that with he not taking great care of it, he is completely done on the professional level.

 

I personally think that he has been embarrassed by his play in the fledgling league and didn't want to disappoint his Philly fans. Many people in this area have fond memories of him and he might have thought that this would tarnish them.

 

Full transparency would have been nice but then again, AI hasn't always made the best of decisions. He needs to go the coaching route in order to remain in the league.

 

He didn't want to disappoint them by playing poorly, so he decided to disappoint them more by not playing at all? It was handled poorly by everyone involved and the league won't be able to come back to Philly again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

 

He didn't want to disappoint them by playing poorly, so he decided to disappoint them more by not playing at all? It was handled poorly by everyone involved and the league won't be able to come back to Philly again. 

Is that really a stretch with him? AI has never been a smart decision maker. Why else wouldn't he have played? I agree with you on your last statement. It was handled terribly and Philly will never want to see this league again, if it even lasts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Allen Iverson no showed this week's Big3 game in Dallas. Some sites have reported that he was spotted in a Texas casino over the weekend.

 

Needless to say that is one of the worse possible things for this league. Which is a shame because many people do actually enjoy the games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now