Luke_Groundrunner

Ice Cube, and Allen Iverson formally announce the BIG3 (3-on-3 Professional Basketball League).

interesting that they left Phila off the schedule, considering they said they were going to make it up to them after AI didn't play there last year because of (allegedly) a hangover.

They posted a facebook video today mentioning games will be aired on Fox as well as FS1 this season. Previously they only mentioned games being aired on FS1.

Looks likes every team but last year's champion and runner up will be completely redrafted. That's kinda cool.

On 4/7/2018 at 2:33 PM, 4_tattoos said:

Looks likes every team but last year's champion and runner up will be completely redrafted. That's kinda cool.

It's what you get to do when your league is built exclusively on the desire of fans to watch individual players, rather than giving a damn about home teams or who wins vs. who loses.

In a way I think it's brilliant, in that it's innovative and places clear focus on putting forth an entertaining sports property.

In another way though, I think it's asinine, in that it's telling people you're putting no real emphasis on being a competitive sport, but more like pro wrestling.

It was brought to my attention earlier today that the BIG3 now has a deal with Adidas. That's surprising. You'd think Adidas would be way too big of a brand to even considered getting involved with what many consider to be a niche secondary league. Maybe I'm underestimating just how good of a businessman Ice Cube is.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/big3-and-adidas-announce-major-multi-year-partnership-300623284.html

A niche, sure.  But a niche that historically has displayed an almost slavish loyalty to the players that play in this 'league.'  Like NASCAR is for rednecks.  So I can see them making that kind of deal.

On 4/10/2018 at 5:28 PM, Mac the Knife said:

It's what you get to do when your league is built exclusively on the desire of fans to watch individual players, rather than giving a damn about home teams or who wins vs. who loses.

In a way I think it's brilliant, in that it's innovative and places clear focus on putting forth an entertaining sports property.

In another way though, I think it's asinine, in that it's telling people you're putting no real emphasis on being a competitive sport, but more like pro wrestling.

I mean, I get your point.  But the point of these league was never to be an alternative to the NBA.  It's basically an organized streetball league for guys with name recognition. And in that sense, makes perfect sense to keep only the champs to stay together.  Becoming more like the NBA would be a death trap for this league and stigmatize it as the NBA seniors circuit.

But all it is is an NBA senior's circuit.  It's a solid sports entertainment product, and one that players in every other sport probably wish they could emulate (and in baseball, some promoters tried a few decades ago).  But it's a promotion, not a league; a barnstorming circuit rather than a truly competitive enterprise.

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.  If you can make a buck doing it?  By all means, go for it.  Just don't try to pass it off as anything more than it is.

DfCmRT2UwAAQ7DD.jpg

This is a 'league' about drawing cards.  Outside of Philadelphia, Iverson simply isn't much of one - and certainly not one of sufficient stature to pay what presumably was a decent sized appearance fee (I say 'appearance' because he never played, and I doubt he actually coached anyone... you know... because he'd have to show up for a practice).

It’s probably (I don’t profess to know anything) more about Iverson wanting to do his own things. aI can draw but look how much work it was to get him to show up last year.