Pacific Pro Football

hettinger_rl

Since players can come straight out of high school what will be the real impact this has on the NFL? I'd say JUCO's will suffer the most if this goes through, followed by the Group of 5 teams and the NFL gets to pretend they are helping out players get ready for the next level. $50,000 per player? You'd see players declaring for Sacramento or San Jose instead of USC at the All American Bowl if this goes through.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

6 hours ago, hettinger_rl said:

Problem is that this "league" will be for essentially HS graduates who are not going to college, yet are ineligible for the NFL Draft. You can tease $50K out for a HS junior before he early commits, but they won't really be getting 4 or 5 star talent. 

200 players @$50K/each is $10M in salaries, so with benefits, figure $14M for players.

Add the cost of housing which they claim they will provide plus the cost of a semester in a JuCo

Add the cost of coaching salaries/benefits and executive pay.

Add the cost of insurance and attorneys for the upcoming concussion litigation.

TV won't be paying all the expenses (if any), so this has to be gate driven and who really to pay to see JuCo football?  It won't draw crowds and it won't draw on TV. 

Add in the cost of practice location(s) and a brick/mortar HQ in Los Angeles.

Honestly, this really doesn't need the support of the NFL if either Nike or Under Armour decide to be the league's benefactor and are willing to accept the financial losses. 

14 minutes ago, SJAnfield said:

I don't believe there will be a successful minor league until the NFL creates its own D-league. There's enough markets and they have the NFL network with time slots to fill. 

If Thursday Night Football goes away, then the NFLN is likely to be shuttered.  The promise of actual NFL games is the reason why NFLN is currently on the cable systems of nearly 50% of NFL markets.  Cable operators won't renew at $1.31/subscriber just for crappy, err developmental football. 

5 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

A ten team WLAF located exclusively in the US and supported by the NFL would make  more sense.

People don't spend money on watching crappy football live.  And don't rehash the same old cities that always come to CCSLCers minds like Birmingham, Memphis, Omaha, and Portland. 

Since the goal is getting players and referees up to speed for the NFL, a spring league that the NFL doesn't have to lose $32 million on makes the most sense. Since most of the money was lost due to the teams playing in Europe the NFL could see a boost in revenue by already owning the television network, without viewers even being involved. To be fair, stadiums of 25,000 should be the max size they would want to use rather than the larger stadiums that were used like the Meadowlands and Ohio Stadium. The main focus has to be on improving players, coaches and refs and not how many people are in the stands. It can also be used to test ideas like the FG's from the 15 yard line and 4 point FGs rather than only having the pre-season to gauge the worthiness of those changes. As poor as the tackling has been in the NFL this year, a few teams could use the extra reps. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

48 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

So 4team league in SoCal, maybe play home games in Carson at StubHub Center

The Galaxy isnt going to want their field torn up so early in their season.

They'll more likely to be at the JuCos which they have the kids attend since there is like 35 football playing JuCos in SoCal.

5 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

They'll more likely to be at the JuCos which they have the kids attend since there is like 35 football playing JuCos in SoCal.

True, didn't realize that.  Thanks for the info.

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

To be fair, stadiums of 25,000 should be the max size they would want to use rather than the larger stadiums that were used like the Meadowlands and Ohio Stadium. The main focus has to be on improving players, coaches and refs and not how many people are in the stands.

Then the max should be 5,000.  Not 25,000. 

That's the situation we have with soccer in this country - clubs have lower-league teams they use for just that.  Those teams get a couple hundred people in the stands, and the teams are fine with that.   

Any league where competitive results are by design less important than development is a league that doesn't care about attendance, and shouldn't care about attendance. 

I think the only way a minor football league will truly succeed is if it has the NFL machine behind it. It'd have to be a true farm-team scenario, where each team has an affiliated farm team that they can call up and send players down at will, and you'd have one- and two-way contracts just like the NHL. Further, each farm team would have to be located close to the major-league team. As far as television, you could have regional cable networks air the games on a night like Tuesday, and the tickets would have to be cheap.

The absolute important thing is that the NFL would have to back it fully, and probably have to own it outright and be willing to lose money on it.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

Many of these doubts are the same doubts raised of the NBA's D-League when it started. They struggled mightily in the beginning, were a regional league, had terrible attendance / television coverage, and while I admit it helped immensly that they had the backing of the parent league, I think this idea could work. The NFL could take more of an intrest if there begin to be success stories. Also, it helps the PacPro that they're not going to be competing with the NFL in any area.

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

I've always thought the NFL should implement a developmental/minor league with 16 teams...each associated geographically with one AFC and one NFC so fans might have an interest in watching. For example...Tampa Bay and Miami with a team in Orlando or Jacksonville and Atlanta with a team located somewhere in between. Don't just limit it to developing players, but coaches, office personnel, refs, etc.

6 minutes ago, Skycast said:

I've always thought the NFL should implement a developmental/minor league with 16 teams...each associated geographically with one AFC and one NFC so fans might have an interest in watching. For example...Tampa Bay and Miami with a team in Orlando or Jacksonville and Atlanta with a team located somewhere in between. Don't just limit it to developing players, but coaches, office personnel, refs, etc.

Also, they could test out new rules / equipment.

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

19 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Have they said where these teams will be playing?

I agreed with @SJAnfield based on NFL Network, I mean there are alot of slots in its channel to be actually used for every game year round, seriously ESPN3/WatchESPN could be the other channel to watch the games during spring. I don't mind on seeing the future players developing and improving before getting into NFL. Heck I agreed with what @Skycast referring a team being run by 2 teams (one AFC/one NFC). It is the same idea with NBA's D-League before it gotten expanded to more team. It is a good idea to start 16 teams in spring. More teams to watch the rookies/veterans to play. It could factor an ideal league for getting international football players in too. We could see more new players from other countries such as France, Germany, and heck yeah, American Samoa! I could see that Dallas Cowboys and Houston Texans run a San Antonio team. It is always what San Antonio had been dying for. Alamodome is the ideal stadium for the team.

Alamo%2BBowl_sig.png

Liberty Bowl_sig.png

FEAR THE FROG! LET'S GO TCU!!

Archived