2018 MLS Kits (NYCFC, Chicago updated 3/16)

upperV03

^ I noticed them using the "Forever United" tag line on some of their promotional and social media graphics after it was confirmed that they would keep the United name in their move to MLS. I'm not sure if they're still using it or not, but like you I couldn't think of anything else to use lol. Glad you like the kits though!

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(Coach): Ok gentlemen, as we are aware that we are playing against Minnesota United next week. We can do it! We can build our momentum into the game! Play with our hearts and souls out there on the battlefield!

(Players): Yes, sir!

(Coach): All right, gentlemen, we know there are multiple targets on the field as we must be certain we do it so accurately!

(Player #1): Uhh.... there is one target on the field. You know, the opponents' goal? What are the other multiple targets? We know it is just one target.....

(Coach): Idiot! [hand slam on the board] there are 12 targets on the field!  Twelve! TARGETS!

(Player #2): 12...? What exactly do you mean, coach?

(Coach): 12, which are the goal and players! 

(Player #1): Seriously, coach, why the players too??

(Coach): They have these huge:censored: bullseyes on their chests! It is simple enough to understand that! Not only the goal, we must shoot the ball right on these targets as much as we can tire them out! Injury them for all I care! 

Interesting imagination...... lol

Alamo%2BBowl_sig.png

Liberty Bowl_sig.png

FEAR THE FROG! LET'S GO TCU!!

40 minutes ago, christianreitz said:

I definitely think you should do the other jerseys once this series ends. the "2019 kits" if you will.

Thanks man! I certainly will do a series for the 2019 kits eventually, but I'm not sure when. For the sake of creating the most realistic designs possible, I generally like to have a rough idea of the aesthetics Adidas will be using for that year, as well as the kit aesthetics of each club. So with that in mind, I will likely wait a little while before tackling that.

As far as this series goes, I'll be finishing up with Columbus and LAFC soon. I'm kind of waiting on Columbus to see if they announce a new jersey sponsorship or start the season without one.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I looooove that Minnesota away! Hesitant to add yet another light blue shirt to the league, but that's a really great variation on the theme and the diagonal stripes add some needed pizazz to the MLS lineup. I'm not as crazy about the wing design as some people are, but I like how you executed it on the home, too. I agree with your assessment that they'll probably get two new ones next year, but my one complaint is the badge -- I don't like the black background treatment at all, but hey.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

13 minutes ago, Digby said:

I looooove that Minnesota away! Hesitant to add yet another light blue shirt to the league, but that's a really great variation on the theme and the diagonal stripes add some needed pizazz to the MLS lineup. I'm not as crazy about the wing design as some people are, but I like how you executed it on the home, too. I agree with your assessment that they'll probably get two new ones next year, but my one complaint is the badge -- I don't like the black background treatment at all, but hey.

Glad you like both designs! I definitely wanted to move them back to a light blue away kit, but I felt like there needed to be some distinct separation from SKC and NYCFC. Plus, the diagonal stripes are unique to MLS and I felt it was a natural progression from the sash look. Like you, I'm also not a huge fan of the loon wing on the kits, but it's become clear to me that a large majority of Minnesota fans feel like that should be their unique and distinct look. With that being said, I tried to minimize it and not have it dominate the entire shirt like it did on the Inaria version. I can certainly understand why you're not a fan of the black background on the badge, and I'd agree that their crest is superior without it. I just decided to include it because I think they'll use that application when the crest is heat transferred rather than embroidered on the fully customized kits. I think the fact that they're using that application on all of the training gear, etc. is a sign that they'll do the same on any future kits.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Today I am finally able to bring you the 2018 secondary kit for the Crew. This was actually one of the first designs that I came up with, but I've had to sit on it until they announced their new shirt sponsor. Anyways, I wanted this kit to focus on the diagonal stripe motif that is in their crest since they have yet to implement it in favor of the checkerboard pattern. I decided to put an intricate diagonal stripe pattern over the entirety of the front panel, highlighted by yellow diagonal pinstripes alternating in thickness. The jocktag is a callback to their original crest and the year of their founding, while the rest of the shirt is black with yellow accents abound. Black socks with thin yellow stripes round it out.

Crew2017.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

3 minutes ago, hendocfc said:

Very nice,I can see adidas doing sth like this in the future... although I think they'll want to focus more on the checkers

Thanks man. I agree, the checkers have more of a tie in to the supporters so it wouldn't surprise me to see them continue to focus on that in the future. But I figured I'd go with the diagonal stripe motif as a change of pace and because I'd like to see them go that route at least once.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Today I have LAFC, who will start MLS play in 2018. These concepts are essentially just updates to my LAFC concepts from last year as I wanted to refine and tweak some things. The primary kit is highlighted by a black shirt with metallic gold and minimal white accents, with a triangular Art Deco inspired graphic that is also meant to evoke Aztec patterns. The shirt is paired with either white shorts and black socks, or black shorts and white socks as both are unique looks in the league and across world football. The secondary kit features a gold to white gradient design with the aforementioned Art Deco pattern. The sleeves and shoulders of the shirt are gold, while the shorts of the kit are white. Gold and white socks are both available. Both shirts feature the "LAFC" logo as the jocktag and "Our City. Our Club" on the back neck. Let me know what you think, and I'll be posting some slight updates to a few of the designs from this series in the near future.

LAFC2017.pngLAFC2017(2).png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

The home looks fantastic. I don't know if it seems better as a hypothetical idea, but a black jersey/black shorts/black socks all-black option would look great.

I'm a bit iffy on the secondary. The gold-white gradient isn't doing it for me, I think a straight-up gold jersey would look great (and especially with black shorts).

25 minutes ago, ahowe6464 said:

The home looks fantastic. I don't know if it seems better as a hypothetical idea, but a black jersey/black shorts/black socks all-black option would look great.

I'm a bit iffy on the secondary. The gold-white gradient isn't doing it for me, I think a straight-up gold jersey would look great (and especially with black shorts).

Thanks man. I decided against an all black primary kit for LAFC just so they had more of a unique look in the league. DCU has kind of owned all-black in MLS since their inception and other clubs like San Jose, Columbus, and Houston all have all-black looks now as well. I just felt like black/white/black and black/black/white were two unique looks that they could really own at home or on the road. With regards to the secondary, I wanted to refrain from having a primarily gold kit just because I've never really been a fan of how they look on the field. Examples that pop into my head are Philadelphia's inaugural away set, AC Milan's gold third kit from a few years ago, Arsenal's away kit last season, and Tottenham's secondary this year. Something about it has just never really worked for me, so I figured I'd add in a healthy amount of white while also making sure to not just have a plain all white kit like what has become commonplace in MLS the last several years. 

Thanks for your feedback, and for following along with this series. I really appreciate it.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Today I begin my round of updates with the Timbers. I initially started the series with two designs for them, and it seemed as though the retro design that I presented was more popular. Having said that, I haven't been able to get the hooped design out of my head and I chose to rework it in-order to fix my mistakes from the first time around. The sublimated pattern is now more opaque, the alignment of the stripes has been adjusted, and the sponsor logo is now white with a green outline in order to make it a little more visible. In addition, a rising sun flag with crossed axes serves as the jocktag, while a graphic inspired by the scarves of the Timbers Army is at the back neck.

Timbers2017(2).png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Still not wild about hoops for Portland, but I do like the hoop texture. I'd ditch the hoops on the back for both color clash worries and the way this Adidas template looks.

That LAFC patterned away is easily one of my favorites you've done to date though. A totally unique, modern look that even manages to make gold look okay. The back looks a little less good, but I'm not sure how to fix that if blank backs are mandated.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Love, love, love the LAFC set, hope they do something similar when they start to play. 

Portland's concept is nice too, I'd like to see green sleeves on this concept though. Not sure how it would look but I feel as if it's too much white, in my opinion at least. 

Thanks for the comment guys! @Digby, I think you're probably right about making the back solid white on the Timbers set, so I'll get on that and post it later tonight or tomorrow. And @joob, the Timbers set is meant to be a new secondary for 2018 since they're moving away from the Rose City reds, so it'd be a bit too similar to the primary kit if the sleeves were green.

I'm glad you both really enjoy the LAFC set as it's easily one of my favorites that I've done. I'm crossing my fingers that they go in a similar direction for their inaugural kits.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Alright, here's the final update to the Timbers kit with the solid white back. I think it does look a bit better this way, and it would certainly be more practical in-order to avoid potential clashes. 

Timbers2017(2).png

In addition, I also have a slight update to my concept for the Rapids. The spilt mountain design has been shifted up a bit, and the sponsor logo has been revised to include just the wordmark since that is what they are using this season.

Rapids2017.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Archived