Georgia Soccer League

GriffinM6

Hello everyone, It's been a while since I've put a concept series on here. Usually my concept series consist of redoing looks in current leagues, but I wanted to do something different this time. I decided to do a minor soccer league that is based in my home state of Georgia. The goal was to design all my own logos and create unique looks for every team. So here's a little background on the GSL.

25euzc5.jpg

- 12 teams

- 2 conferences

- 4 divisions

- 16 game regular season

- Teams play conference opponents in home-and-home series and play cross-conference opponents once

- Division champs meet in playoffs

- Northern Conference

- East

- Athens Arsenal

- Augusta Green

- Gwinnett Rovers (Lawenceville)

- West

- Atlanta Phoenix

- Chattahoochee FC (Johns Creek) UPDATE

- King and Queen FC (Sandy Springs) UPDATE

-  Southern Conference

- East

- Brunswick Islanders

- Savannah Colonials

- State Line FC (Valdosta)

- West

- Albany 1838

- Columbus Rivermen

- Macon Ramblers

So that's all you need to know for now. The Athens Arsenal will be posted shortly.

And of course C&C is appreciated. 

Thanks to Michael Taylor aka @raysox for making the templates that I used for this series. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While coming up with team names I looked at some unique Georgia history. One of the more peculiar things is the double-barreled cannon in Athens. A little info on the cannon is found below.

Image result for cannon in athensImage result for cannon in athens

So as you can see, it wasn't too hard to come up with a name for Athens' team after reading this story. Arsenal FC is one of the more storied franchises in the BPL and their crest features a cannon. Aside from using the cannon in the team's identity, I wanted to take inspiration from the University of Georgia, which is located in Athens. So what I did was use the same color scheme and athletics font.

25insq1.jpg

I also threw in '1785' to tie in with the year the University was founded. Next up is the secondary logo. This features the '1785' more prominently and also has the arch that students walk through after graduating.

Image result for uga arch   303g2o9.jpg

And now, without further ado, here are the kits.

2vvj1gz.jpg

Hope y'all like it. Next up is the Augusta Green.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Up now is the Augusta Green. The name was inspired by the Masters Tournament being located there. I took the flag and "A" from the Masters logo and also used an old timey soccer ball. 

302c47m.jpg

Primary kit features a split look inspired by the crest. Clash kit has a gradient sleeve pattern.

2m6mpmp.jpg

spacer.png

I have some suggestions that may be wordy so bear with me here:

For Athens, I agree with @Whitefoot on the axle and frame, that needs to be put in in order for that logo to look complete. On the secondary crest, the "1785" looks a little off-center, maybe bump that over a little bit to help it look better. As for the kits, I feel like for the home kit (I'm guessing the red one is the home kit), the striping should be moved further down, closer to the bottom of the shirt. On the back of the shirts for both kits, the numbers should probably be moved further down from the name frame, it just looks off.

Now for Augusta, I feel like the "soccer" ball on the crest looks more like a volleyball, I think you should distinct it better to make people think it's actually a soccer ball. Also, the font for "Augusta Green" could maybe be something a little more spontaneous than the font it is now. It's just bland. 

Now as for the kits, I agree with @XenonDesigns that the kits need to be different colors. Two green kits is not gonna work. Also, same thing on the numbers being moved further down from the name plate.

Hope this helps!!

IMG_7365.PNG

IMG_7364.PNG

@Broncoboy7 I'll look to address the cannon at a later time. As for the soccer ball in Augusta's crest, that is taken directly from FC Barcelona's crest. I wanted to go with a classic look for the Green, so that's what you see in the old school soccer ball.

And now here are the updated kits for both teams.

11iczdi.jpg

2m6mpmp.jpg

spacer.png

Updated the Athens logo with everyone's suggestions. That can be seen in the original Athens post.

Up next are my home town team the Gwinnett Rovers. The logo is a peach; not because a rover is a peach, but because I loved raysox' Atlanta Rovers concept for his Yakball league back in the day that I wanted to use that as inspiration. 

1icyoj.jpg

The secondary logo is a circle that features the 'GR' monogram from the crest lapped over the outline of Gwinnett County.

fasopk.jpg

And now, here are the kits. Primary features a white shirt and navy sash. Clash features navy shirt with stomach/chest striping.

5e7k7s.jpg

The last names featured on the backs of the jerseys belong to some famous Gwinnettians. 

spacer.png

A lot of your kits have good ideas, but are executed poorly. I feel like your badges are often too big, and the sponsor logo is to low down on the shirt. You have some great ideas presented in your designs, and I love Gwinnett's crest, but work on fixing up the small details on your kits, and it will look so much better.

soflo copy.png

12 hours ago, soflo_sports said:

A lot of your kits have good ideas, but are executed poorly. I feel like your badges are often too big, and the sponsor logo is to low down on the shirt. You have some great ideas presented in your designs, and I love Gwinnett's crest, but work on fixing up the small details on your kits, and it will look so much better.

I took the time to look at some famous clubs and compared the sizing and spacing to my crests and sponsors. It doesn't seem like the crests are too big and the sponsors are too low. 

spacer.png

Now for the first team from the NC West, the Atlanta Phoenix! The name is inspired by the saying that Atlanta rose from the ashes after Sherman's march to the sea during the Civil War. The logo is pretty self explanatory. One tidbit is that the stripes, while giving off a throwback vibe, also represent the flames coming off of the mythical bird's wings as it rises up. 

2hncow9.jpg

Here are the kits. The primary is basically the crest translated to jersey form. Clash features sublimated phoenix on the back

Atlanta Kits.png

spacer.png

17 minutes ago, Broncoboy7 said:

On the yellow kit, I feel like that the striping all down the front doesn't belong. The "AT&T" is hard to distinct with the striping over it.

You make a good point. Updated kits in original Atlanta post. 

spacer.png

The river is inconsistent in width. Not that all rivers are equal, but it still looks wonky for a crest. The farthest turn in the background could be scrapped to help the river look less 'drawn' as @Broncoboy7pointed out. To help with this, maybe thicken the river's outline as well. I'd also change the 'EST. 2017' to cyan to pop against the teal. 

Love the color scheme and the sublimated river on the jerseys. Overall, good job on this one. 

Archived