Rehabilitated uniforms

Ray Lankford

These topic is inspired by two looks: the Padres' brown and the Buccaneers' orange. Both were replaced in disgraced but time, as it tends to do, has changed public opinion and now there is a large population of fans who prefer them to the new styles and would like to see them make a comeback.

What other once-maligned jerseys have had similar revivals? 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an Anaheim Ducks fan, I wish everyday that they would return to the old Mighty Ducks look. Hell, I'd even settle for them making the third jerseys primary at this point!

I always liked the 80s-early 90s Denver Nuggets "Tetris" uniforms.

And I'm not sure if they were maligned at any point, but I always had an affinity towards the Atlanta Falcons' red helmets. I would love to see them work those back in somehow.

IMG_0556.JPG

IMG_0553.JPG

IMG_0557.JPG

9AzCH7v.jpg

I don't know if these uniforms have been "rehabilitated" or not, but faux 90s nostalgia (I say "faux," because many of the younger people who push for it didn't spend much time in the 90s ;) ) combined with a loud older contrarian crowd always seem to make these uniforms seem pretty popular whenever they're brought up. Didn't the team even bring these back for warm-ups recently?

1 minute ago, ImmortalChef said:

mookie-blaylock.png

ivld6jtmajsw4xuoc7p7.jpg

I would disagree here. I really haven't seen much love for either look.

I liked that Hawks logo and uniform in the 90s.  It was new and it looked fierce and intimidating (kinda like the Timberwolves' change around the same time).  But it was totally 90s.  The wings are pretty awful.  However, that logo looked way better in red, black and yellow than red, navy and silver.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

All this thread will be is people posting the most obscure or outlandish uniforms they can find.  

Most of these were replaced because they were garbage.  I totally understand nostalgia, but that's good for an every-now-and-then thing, not a full time return.  Two things can happen:  1) the same sentiments that lead to the replacement of those sets will resurface and they'll be replaced again 2) this generation of fans will cling to those designs and really get behind them.  While it could end up being 2, I really think it would be 1.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

These topic is inspired by two looks: the Padres' brown and the Buccaneers' orange. Both were replaced in disgraced but time, as it tends to do, has changed public opinion and now there is a large population of fans who prefer them to the new styles and would like to see them make a comeback.

What other once-maligned jerseys have had similar revivals? 

Source please, especially for the Bucs.

Also, they haven't just abandoned creamsicle like the Padres have done with brown. It's still an active part of their color scheme and uniforms. 

Being the laughingstock of the league during that era is also not helping Bucco come back.

20 minutes ago, rickyISking said:

Also, they haven't just abandoned creamsicle like the Padres have done with brown. It's still an active part of their color scheme and uniforms. 

Being the laughingstock of the league during that area is also not helping Bucco come back.

While there are a lot of people that want the brown back I tend to agree that you'd be hard-pressed to find a significant number of people away from this board that want the creamsicles back.  

With the brown, there's some nostalgia but I think the Padres have also pushed some fans into it by trotting out such boring undistinguished uniforms.  The Bucs don't blend in like the Padres.  

I am am not sure how Bucs fans feel about the terrible uniforms but even if they don't like them, I'd say the previous red and pewter look would cure what ails them.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

6 hours ago, Dynamite_Nick said:

As an Anaheim Ducks fan, I wish everyday that they would return to the old Mighty Ducks look. Hell, I'd even settle for them making the third jerseys primary at this point!

IMG_0556.JPG

The Ducks did bring these back for a Throwback Night in 2013, and it was awesome. I'm all for a return to this look, but objectively speaking the current thirds are much better and I'd love for them to become the primaries. But more Throwback Nights every now and then plz

Mind you there's always been a lot of general love and hate for the Mighty Ducks, before and even after the rebrand, which I think most notably resurfaced when they brought the logo back as a shoulder patch. Every NHL uniform thread on these very boards over the years has had several pages of back-and-forth arguing over it. Even among Ducks fans there's a bit of a divide, but it depends on who you ask. In a way it's funny how nostalgia has made people who once despised this look come around to it, but then I say that as someone who never wanted them gone in the first place.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

1 hour ago, rickyISking said:

The Padres have a whole alternate uniform dedicated to the brown and gold colour scheme. The Bucs just slapped some orange on a uniform that otherwise has nothing to do with the creamsicle set.

People didn't care much for these when they were live, but isn't there a pretty big contingent of Pats fans who would like to see these return?

36803-the-1985-patriots-ac795.jpg

And as I look at this image, I see that lots of people (myself included) would love to see an update incorporating this look:

foley0001_20110428587.gif

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

People didn't care much for these when they were live, but isn't there a pretty big contingent of Pats fans who would like to see these return?

36803-the-1985-patriots-ac795.jpg

And as I look at this image, I see that lots of people (myself included) would love to see an update incorporating this look:

foley0001_20110428587.gif

I like both of these a lot (and the green Jets helmet looked better when it switched to metallic paint, which isn't really noticeable in your picture).

That Patriots look is just clean...good stripes, no piping, basic font, and a pretty clean helmet (and the bigger logo was better).  I like that Jets' look for many of the same reasons.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Even though I hate them, I'd say the Cavs black t-shirts are fan favorites,  only because that's what they wore when they went on to win the Finals last year. If they lose, they're probably not coming back this year. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived