Rehabilitated uniforms

Ray Lankford

3 hours ago, stumpygremlin said:

See, the Patriots have done all their winning in navy. What I would do is modernize/update Pat Patriot in the same way that the Cardinals and Falcons modernized their logos, and work their color rush jerseys as their full time look:

092216patsms10.jpg?itok=Xn7VE8aW

Flying Elvis is a great logo, though. I've believed that ever since 1993, its first year on the field and my first year as a football fan. If the Pats would kill the side panels and wear silver pants instead of navy on the road, they would look very good - a bit boring, perhaps, but good. I'd be cool with those shoulder stripes on the home jerseys and those pants stripes on the silver pants, though...or maybe replace the white with silver? I dunno, but I don't think their current look is in need of any drastic change. Their public image, on the other hand...

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Claystation360 said:

I've always thought if they ever wanted to go to a retro look they could pull off an inverted version of this uniform.  It would look super clean and prob a modern classic..  

"Inverted" version of the uni? How exactly do you mean?

24 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:
1 hour ago, Claystation360 said:

I've always thought if they ever wanted to go to a retro look they could pull off an inverted version of this uniform.  It would look super clean and prob a modern classic..  

"Inverted" version of the uni? How exactly do you mean?

Like this?

inverted.png

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

4 hours ago, stumpygremlin said:

See, the Patriots have done all their winning in navy. What I would do is modernize/update Pat Patriot in the same way that the Cardinals and Falcons modernized their logos, and work their color rush jerseys as their full time look:

092216patsms10.jpg?itok=Xn7VE8aW

I could see that working well, and maybe a red alternate to satisfy those wanting red?

I myself would prefer just a modernized Pat to be placed on the classics as they are, but if they wanted to do a modern take on it, I think this would be a great route to go. So long of course as that ghastly wordmark isn't included! :P 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

On 1/29/2017 at 8:22 AM, OnWis97 said:

While there are a lot of people that want the brown back I tend to agree that you'd be hard-pressed to find a significant number of people away from this board that want the creamsicles back.  

With the brown, there's some nostalgia but I think the Padres have also pushed some fans into it by trotting out such boring undistinguished uniforms.  The Bucs don't blend in like the Padres.  

I am am not sure how Bucs fans feel about the terrible uniforms but even if they don't like them, I'd say the previous red and pewter look would cure what ails them.

I have to agree with your second sentence. I noticed the brown calls did wan a bit in 2016 when the Padres had finally introduced a solid secondary color to their blue and were starting to "stand out" a bit more than they had during their blue/sand days. It seems to me that the vocal Bring Back the Brown minority is spurred as much by the lack of creativity with the current Padres uniforms as they are trying to get brown back. And frankly that's what worries me in that brown is so much easier to screw up than blue (and as we've seen the Padres FO has little creativity with regard to their uniforms other than the brief flash in 2016).

36 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

I have to agree with your second sentence. I noticed the brown calls did wan a bit in 2016 when the Padres had finally introduced a solid secondary color to their blue and were starting to "stand out" a bit more than they had during their blue/sand days. It seems to me that the vocal Bring Back the Brown minority is spurred as much by the lack of creativity with the current Padres uniforms as they are trying to get brown back. And frankly that's what worries me in that brown is so much easier to screw up than blue (and as we've seen the Padres FO has little creativity with regard to their uniforms other than the brief flash in 2016).

How was the rudimentary addition of yellow creative? Navy and yellow is a common color scheme and they barely used any yellow at all, without really making any other changes to their inoffensive but generic uniforms.

On Sun Jan 29 2017 at 3:01 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

BBTV is absolutely right. All people are doing is dredging up some strange uniform they remembered from their childhood (and probably hated at the time) and allowing nostalgia to make them get all giddy about it now.

So let me join in!!

5750b85daf858a669407a563025259b8.jpg

BAM!

Adidas ruined these and the 1983 White Sox when they gave them to all of their baseball and softball teams. Uniqueness was what made these so cool. Now it's just a loud jersey.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

45 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

How was the rudimentary addition of yellow creative? Navy and yellow is a common color scheme and they barely used any yellow at all, without really making any other changes to their inoffensive but generic uniforms.

Because it created something on the Padres uniforms that popped and frankly looked good. The blue and yellow were very popular in San Diego. Most people overlooked the boring away uni in large part because of the addition of the yellow to the homes (plus the away uni is not typically something most home fans would worry about since they only see it on TV). The cap in particular with the yellow D was very popular showing up all over town on people's heads (who hadn't been wearing the pre/post 2016 blue and white cap).

It may be a common scheme, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a creative and good looking color scheme. Particularly in a state whose state colors are blue and yellow. I think that's what many in San Diego, no necessarily on this design obsessed board, want, is a uniform that looks good and has some pop. The blue and yellow had that as did the popular blue and orange before it. The blue and sand, and particularly the current blue and nothing... don't. It's no coincidence the calls for brown increased during blue and sand and have now increased again with blue and nothing.

19 hours ago, johnnysama said:

I know I may catch a lot of flack for this, but this needs to be brought back (full-time, at least):

Mets-1986-1.png

Of course, I'd have it paired with the "NEW YORK" block script jerseys on the road.

They wore them as alternates on Sundays last year, they looked so much worse than the standard home jerseys. Leave 'em in the 1980s where they belong. The Mets have never looked better than do they right now (including the blue alternates; I like both, but I'm upset they're taking the Mr. Met patch off of those).

On 1/29/2017 at 1:09 PM, Rj0498 said:

Good unis and I notice some people agree. Two things worked against this uni

1: it replaced the classic 80s look

2: it is associated with a dark age of 49ers football

san-francisco-49ers-ken-dorsey-gets-some-play-time-against-the-oakland-DM70JE.jpg

Well, if the Jed York era continues on its disastrous path, the 2000s 49ers era may not look so dark anymore (and that's saying something!).

As for the uniforms, by and large I agree. The one place where I'll disagree, though? That darker shade of red; it's simply too dark and is therefore more fit for the Arizona Cardinals. If the 49ers were to fix this and went with their traditional scarlet/candy-apple red (with possibly a couple other tweaks), they wouldn't have much need to change again for a long time (and the black alts, awful as they would be even in this set, would at least be justified as not BFBS).

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

2 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

There are zero teams in baseball right now with blue and yellow as their primary colors.

2 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

There are zero teams in baseball right now with blue and yellow as their primary colors.

Tampa Bay Rays...I mean, yellow is more of a tertiary behind the two shades of blue but they do wear blue and yellow.

It could just be the Ohioan in me that diskikes that combo. Hadn't thought about the fact that the Pads and Chargers were wearing almost the same colors during (what would turn out to be) the Chargers' final season in San Diego, which may have contributed to the popularity of the Pads' one-year look.

9 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Flying Elvis is a great logo, though. I've believed that ever since 1993, its first year on the field and my first year as a football fan. If the Pats would kill the side panels and wear silver pants instead of navy on the road, they would look very good - a bit boring, perhaps, but good.

The problem with that is that there are already 5 teams wearing silver-white-silver. If I were a Pats fan I'd hate them making that change just to look like a bunch of other teams.

Some of my 3 favorite basketball uniforms of all time, this bobcats uniform was probably the only thing good about that team, the mavs brings back memories of rookie dirk, and that's just a wonderful shade of real for that jersey

IMG_8052.JPG

IMG_8053.JPG

IMG_8054.JPG

Excellent!

Archived