Rehabilitated uniforms

Ray Lankford

SanDiegoPadresJerseyHistory1969.png

I'd say that these uniforms have gained a bit of a following over the past few years, as they're used as evidence that brown/yellow could be pulled off in a tasteful fashion (which it can). Unfortunately, the Bring Back the Brown crowd would often rather see the Padres take the field looking like this:

SanDiegoPadresJerseyHistory1978.png

...and those uniforms (and Taco Bell caps) are just plain icky.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I'd say that these uniforms have gained a bit of a following over the past few years, as they're used as evidence that brown/yellow could be pulled off in a tasteful fashion (which it can). Unfortunately, the Bring Back the Brown crowd would often rather see the Padres take the field looking like this:

It's nice overall, but those wordmarks are pretty generic/boring.  Give them a little life and it would improve the look.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I like the "taller" "SD" a lot better than the original "SD."  The original one was kinda short/stocky.  The "D" is almost an "O."  Give me the shape from 1985 to 2003 (before the stupid little gap in the "D" came about).

Regarding the rest of the uniform (forgetting my love for late-'80s orange), something that looks like a steady update of the original jersey (with a more interesting script) would be a really nice look.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

6 hours ago, bwburke94 said:

54796.jpg

Unfortunately these were worn in 1987 when we were supposed to win the pennant but ended up with more than 100 losses. Major League is the only place these uniforms did any winning on the field. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

37 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Hold on, there.  I doubt that any fans of brown want that horrible 1978 style.  It's the 1984 style which, I believe, most tickles the fancy of the supporters of brown.

Image result for graig nettles padres    Related image

That wordmark is as much a part of the Padres' true identity as the brown is.  But it has to be arched.

Also, I'd remove the orange.  This style with just brown and yellow would be perfect.  I don't think the helmet ever had orange, even when the cap did.

Image result for steve garvey padres

The flaw in this set is that the road uniform had a brown jersey and white pants.  I'd scrap that entirely, and go with this road jersey:

Image result for graig nettles padres

...but with belted pants, of course.

And the original SD monogram was better, the one with the S hooking the D, rather than the entire bottom portion of the S inside the D.  The latter-day monogram is unpleasantly cramped.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On 1/30/2017 at 9:34 AM, stumpygremlin said:

See, the Patriots have done all their winning in navy. What I would do is modernize/update Pat Patriot in the same way that the Cardinals and Falcons modernized their logos, and work their color rush jerseys as their full time look:

092216patsms10.jpg?itok=Xn7VE8aW

I'd be all for this look if you replace the logo on the sleeve with TV numbers.

4 hours ago, uniguy22 said:

pitcher-jon-switzer-of-the-tampa-bay-dev

This was one or two changes away from being really awesome.  Green and light blue were great colors (and very Florida), but they probably could have brightened the green to distinguish it, and used more light blue.

5 hours ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

Some of my 3 favorite basketball uniforms of all time, this bobcats uniform was probably the only thing good about that team, the mavs brings back memories of rookie dirk, and that's just a wonderful shade of real for that jersey

IMG_8052.JPG

I actually liked the Bobcats' brand. It wasn't bad at all, but just not accepted because the Hornets had such a strong impact in Charlotte. But I wish they kept this infrared colour of their first years. Infrared, navy and Carolina Blue, think about that.

2ic8yls.jpg

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

3 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Also, I'd remove the orange.  This style with just brown and yellow would be perfect.  I don't think the helmet ever had orange, even when the cap did.

Doesn't that just make it the late 70s style?

And the SD was outlined in orange on the 84 hats.

Also, the big problem with the Bring Back the Brown movement (besides it's willingness to destroy any decent blue look) is that it can't settle on a secondary color. It usually just goes with whatever throwback the team pushes in any given year.

On 1/30/2017 at 2:13 PM, MCM0313 said:

Not bad. Looks like it'd be a bit tricky to throw the football, though.

HAHA ! My description wasn't the best. My thoughts was take the traditional Bucs uniform 77- 96  just flipping the Florida Orange & Buccaneer Red making the primary Red but still outlined in creamsicle & white. Very Simple, but of course they needed much more at the time. 

#DTWD #GoJaguars

9 minutes ago, Berlin Wall said:

I actually liked the Bobcats' brand. It wasn't bad at all, but just not accepted because the Hornets had such a strong impact in Charlotte. But I wish they kept this infrared colour of their first years. Infrared, navy and Carolina Blue, think about that.

2ic8yls.jpg

You sure it was called infrared?

3 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:
3 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Doesn't that just make it the late 70s style?

No.  The late-70s style is this monstrosity:

winfield.jpg Related image

That is very different from the 1984 uniform.

Related image

The answer is to use that style, but without the orange.

10 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

And the SD was outlined in orange on the 84 hats.

But not on the helmet.

garvey.jpg

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

4 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Related image

My little league uniform was the brown version of this. I think it was one of the better versions the Padres had as far as how brown, orange and yellow were used. My high school had the same colors, officially, but never used yellow except for the marching band uniforms.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

52 minutes ago, Claystation360 said:

HAHA ! My description wasn't the best. My thoughts was take the traditional Bucs uniform 77- 96  just flipping the Florida Orange & Buccaneer Red making the primary Red but still outlined in creamsicle & white. Very Simple, but of course they needed much more at the time. 

That was about what I figured you meant but wanted to be sure. In retrospect, it's hard to think of them without pewter unless it's their original duds, though. The pewter worked better than anyone could have dared hope and has, IMO, become an iconic part of the team, and indeed of the league. Raiders wear just silver and black, Dolphins own aqua and coral/orange, and Tampa wears pewter.

7 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Pretty much. The late 1970s/early 1980s Padres fonts and wordmarks should stay in the past where they belong, and at the very most should just be used rarely on throwback nights. (I can't help but wonder if part of the front office's abhorrance to full-time brown lies in its connection to that late look and not the original brown look).

As for the original brown set, I've never been that high on the classic brown and yellow fonts, as it seems generic, but simply replacing it with the current "Padres," "San Diego," and number fonts (IMO one of the very few things the Padres have going for them aesthetically right now) would fix that issue.

Does anyone remember the Golden Baseball League's San Diego Surf Dawgs?

San_Diego_Surf_Dawgs_Main_Logo.png

I originally loathed the name and identity but it's grown on me, being minor-league and not, like, totally serious and all, but in a strange twist of fate I think it suggests a better color scheme (and possibly logo or branding concept) or two than the Padres' current blandness. We know that merely adding yellow to navy blue improves the Padres colors tenfold, but they may have something workable if they were to introduce light blue into that color scheme (granted, they'd be a yellower Tampa Bay, but still). But even better, replace the navy with brown. Brown/Yellow/Light Blue could be a color scheme that acknowledges the Padres' history while being something that can go in a beach/sun/sea/surfer direction (not unlike the mid-late 2000s set and its colors). Obviously, I'd focus more on the Swingin' Friar and SD as  primary logos--and it would essentially have the current fonts/wordmarks on the jersey, unlike our friend just above this paragraph--but a Surfin' Friar might be a fun secondary/tertiary logo, too. (And a Brown/Orange/Light Blue concept could work with this, too.)

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

5 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Hold on, there.  I doubt that any fans of brown want that horrible 1978 style.  It's the 1984 style which, I believe, most tickles the fancy of the supporters of brown.

That wordmark is as much a part of the Padres' true identity as the brown is.  But it has to be arched.

I disagree completely. The arched wordmark is ok but the straight version with the SAN DIEGO is really nice, so much better designed. 1978s have always been my favorite. 

5 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The flaw in this set is that the road uniform had a brown jersey and white pants.  I'd scrap that entirely, and go with this road jersey:

Image result for graig nettles padres

...but with belted pants, of course.

And the original SD monogram was better, the one with the S hooking the D, rather than the entire bottom portion of the S inside the D.  The latter-day monogram is unpleasantly cramped.

You say that like the 1984 style is much better. It's a failure out the gate because of the taco bell cap and little SD rather than the latter day one. Which is the biggest issue with the Bring Back the Brown. No one can agree what was a good look for brown. Some liked '69, some liked '84, some actually do like the '78s. I've seen those partial to '74. About the only one I've seen almost universal disdain for is '72.

With blue at least there's agreement that the '91 style was the clear best. Part of the '16's appeal was the little call back it had to the '91 with the off color D (yellow instead of orange of course).

Archived