Premier League Numbers Concepts

raysox

PLNumbers2-02.png
So the Premier League is halfway through a season with their new great bold branding. The numbers are the only thing that didn't change, which is weird because they still feature the old full body lion. I'm not sure what the point is but they have to be working on something for next year.

Couple of take aways from the branding is that there are two versions of the lion logo, which makes the mane of the lion the darker bit whether on light or dark. Theoretically it would be easy since there are 5 colors used, and each one really only works on either light OR dark kits.

Their branding features this big lightning bolt thing, which is featured here.

2016-17_Premier_League_Handbook-01.png

Making me want to try and use it in some way. So here is what I came up with below.

PLNumbers2-01.png

PLNumbers2-03.png
The bolt is  in the same position on every number, and would make it uniquely Premier League. Major  League Soccer has a stroke going across the number, so it was done in the same vain. Let me know what you guys think, and feel free to post your own if you want!

I think it's just a bit too chunky. Something closer in weight to what's used in the league logo would fit better with the aesthetic of the re-design.

That being said, I like how you incorporated the slash design. Very MLS-esque.

this looks so much better than the rumors going around. Id hope for an outline on them, makes it a tad easier to see in real life, white outline on the black and blue, then black on the red, gold, and black numbers. Love the slash thing youve got going through them, as it is incorporating the current style. preferably id add little extra edges, such as a tip on the one, both ends of the 2, 3, and 5, and then the top of 6, bottom of the 9, and top of the 7. thats just s personal preference, but youre off to a great start as usual

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

new-premier-league-font-2017.jpg

this image was shown by a presenter explaining the branding of the new premier league, and shown as he said "working on a typeface for the names and numbers on the kits"

Your current font betters this x100000

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

• 2 weeks later...

It's a branding thing. The Football League has required that teams all use similar numbers to make it easier to read them on TV. That's why the AFL (Australian Rules) has stuck with their font for over 30 years. When Coca Cola took over sponsorship of the Football League they decided to make a new font that shows off that line below Coca-Cola since they couldn't place their name on them. I like the EPL's current font but since they may gain a sponsor shortly  I wouldn't be surprised to see something a bit more gaudy. 

As far as these, you may need to add an outline for when the numbers are placed over stripes.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I think the base font here clashes with the rest of the PL branding. To me, the fonts they currently use are more rounded and are almost equal in height and width; same goes for the lion's head logo. I think you've have better success starting with a number font like Gibson or Gotham. I realize those don't fit on the backs of jerseys very well, where you have more room vertically than horizontally, but maybe condensed versions of those fonts might be a good place to start. 

Archived