I personally think that some of the extinct hockey teams looked the best. The Whalers, Nordiques, Rockies, Jets, etc. had some of my favorite hockey designs ever, and instead now we get to feast our eyes on the Hurricanes and Avalanche. Sad. So, This is basically my attempt to rewrite history, if the new franchises continued the look of their formers, Starting out with the Whaler-Hurricanes. The whalers had one of the best logos in all of sports history, and awesome uniforms and color scheme to boot, which helps to make the Hurricanes design more unique.

image.jpeg

C&C appreciated, and although I have some more on tap, let me know what you'd like to see next! Thanks!

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next up, @mee's Avs suggestion crossed with their vintage counterpart, the Nordiques. 

image.jpeg

I'd love to get a little more feedback on this and also let me know which mashup I should do next!

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

30 minutes ago, Bruins said:

I'd love to get a little more feedback on this and also let me know which mashup I should do next!

Looks a bit weird that the only red on the jersey is the logo, but the original had the same issue..

Being that the Thrashes never looked good, how would the Jets logo work on any of the Thrashers looks..

21 minutes ago, mee said:

Looks a bit weird that the only red on the jersey is the logo, but the original had the same issue..

Being that the Thrashes never looked good, how would the Jets logo work on any of the Thrashers looks..

Thats why I kept it like that, plus it's hard to add red anywhere else and still have it look like the nordiques

Coincidentally i was working on that mix next, so next it shall be!

Lz5f6vZ.png

Both look REALLY good. A lot of people have done Hartford/Carolina crossovers, and this one is definitely the best.

The Avs/Nords thing is missing just a little something, and I think it's shoulder patches. First thought is a recolored yeti foot, but they don't really use that anymore. The new C logo, recolored, overtop a fleur de lis would do well, too. You don't need the same along the hemline because of the mountains, but I think that's obvious. Did you try not making them as randomly jagged and use the old Avs stripe instead? Maybe it's just personal preference, but I think regularity in striping would be better.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

5 hours ago, hockey week said:

Both look REALLY good. A lot of people have done Hartford/Carolina crossovers, and this one is definitely the best.

The Avs/Nords thing is missing just a little something, and I think it's shoulder patches. First thought is a recolored yeti foot, but they don't really use that anymore. The new C logo, recolored, overtop a fleur de lis would do well, too. You don't need the same along the hemline because of the mountains, but I think that's obvious. Did you try not making them as randomly jagged and use the old Avs stripe instead? Maybe it's just personal preference, but I think regularity in striping would be better.

Thank you!

I did think about the C on the shoulders but I didn't know if it would take away from the theme a little. Although now I think you might be right. The reason I didn't do the old Avs striping is because I wanted to point to the fact that the mountains are supposed to take the place of the fleur de lis symbolism on the waist rather than just be my preference for an accent. I think it makes the simple jersey pop a little more too.

Lz5f6vZ.png

24 minutes ago, Bruins said:

Thank you!

I did think about the C on the shoulders but I didn't know if it would take away from the theme a little. Although now I think you might be right. The reason I didn't do the old Avs striping is because I wanted to point to the fact that the mountains are supposed to take the place of the fleur de lis symbolism on the waist rather than just be my preference for an accent. I think it makes the simple jersey pop a little more too.

I can understand the striping preference.

I guess the question becomes, what is the true frame of reference here? Is it the old franchises in new places with the same basic look? Because then a C is appropriate - it's in Colorado. Is a Fleur de lis still appropriate? I don't know. 

Are they the Hurricanes and Avalanche, as their logos suggest? Or are they still somehow Whalers and Nordiques? If they truly are the new name, in the new city, the old look is just supposed to carry over, then I think a Colorado-centric secondary logo makes sense. 

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

1 hour ago, hockey week said:

I can understand the striping preference.

I guess the question becomes, what is the true frame of reference here? Is it the old franchises in new places with the same basic look? Because then a C is appropriate - it's in Colorado. Is a Fleur de lis still appropriate? I don't know. 

Are they the Hurricanes and Avalanche, as their logos suggest? Or are they still somehow Whalers and Nordiques? If they truly are the new name, in the new city, the old look is just supposed to carry over, then I think a Colorado-centric secondary logo makes sense. 

My frame of reference is the new franchises that just look like the old ones. They still become the the Carolina Hurricanes and the Colorado Avalanche but don't take on a completely new design identity, Therefore a fleur de lis wouldn't be appropriate because they're not a Quebec team anymore, but the C for Colorado would be perfect.

Lz5f6vZ.png

Continuing with @mee's suggestion of the the Thrashers and Jets, which results in a look I don't suggest Winnipeg goes with any time soon. I used navy in place of powder blue as the base color to add a little bigger difference than just a logo change, and kept the same idea on the home/away to help with consistency, something the Thrashers had none of.

image.jpeg

Lz5f6vZ.png

Next up are the New Jersey Devils as the Colorado Rockies. I went with an extremely retro look for the Rockies with my intention being that they had worn the same duds from the 80's onwards, like the Devils now. A couple switches I made were to make the home jersey red instead of blue to match the Devils theme, make the stripes on the white jersey tri-toned, and swap the Colorado C out for a NJ outline with corresponding stripes in the middle.

image.jpeg

C&C appreciated, and let me know which team you'd like to see next!

Lz5f6vZ.png

On 2/10/2017 at 11:39 PM, Bruins said:

Next up are the New Jersey Devils as the Colorado Rockies. I went with an extremely retro look for the Rockies with my intention being that they had worn the same duds from the 80's onwards, like the Devils now. A couple switches I made were to make the home jersey red instead of blue to match the Devils theme, make the stripes on the white jersey tri-toned, and swap the Colorado C out for a NJ outline with corresponding stripes in the middle.

image.jpeg

C&C appreciated, and let me know which team you'd like to see next!

I kind of hate how much I like this one. It shouldn't work, but you pulled it off, nicely. Well done, sir.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Archived