Laval Rocket

kiwi_canadian

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

rocket_06.jpg

This could very well be our first look at an Adidas NHL/AHL jersey!

Even though the tag on the back says CCM, if you look at the material of the sleeves and especially the front, this doesn't look like any material I've seen before.  Not even on the World Cup jerseys from last year!

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I really dig this for the most part. Would be interesting to see the back 'notch' in the main R raised to line up with the hole of the R, to have that act as a rocket as well. I quite like the shield logo, however it certainly isn't something I would see elsewhere and assume is for a sports team. I like the flame underneath the numbers on the back, but it looks sort of out of place on the socks. Don't like the #9 at all, I think there definitely could've been a better way to incorporate it. Maybe as the O in the shield logo, or even just in a shield itself. Overall though a classy identity that has some nice modern touches. 

1 hour ago, Roger Clemente said:

rocket_06.jpg

This could very well be our first look at an Adidas NHL/AHL jersey!

Even though the tag on the back says CCM, if you look at the material of the sleeves and especially the front, this doesn't look like any material I've seen before.  Not even on the World Cup jerseys from last year!

They used the Ice Hockey mock-up from SportsTemplates.net, so I am pretty sure it's only the mockup's texture and cut, not what the actual jersey will look like (Possibly)

Hockey_Uniform-Template_3_Views.png

There's a bit too much detail on the sleeves, but beyond that I kinda like it.

I think the 9 could easily be mistaken for a player's sleeve number, not helped by it being rendered in exactly the same font at almost the same size. If they have to have it there, moving it inside the shield patch, replacing the "LE ROCKET" text, would simplify and really improve the overall design.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Google translate says "Le Roc Ket" means "The Rock Ket" in English.  

From there, I googled "ket" by itself.  Several possible explanations came up --

1.   The Ket /ˈkɛt/[3] language, or more specifically Imbak and formerly known as Yenisei Ostyak /ˈɒstiæk/,[3] is a Siberian language long thought to be an isolate, the sole surviving language of a Yeniseian language family. It is spoken along the middle Yenisei basin by the Ket people.

Hungarian[edit]

Etymology[edit]

From Proto-Finno-Ugric *kakta (two). Cognates include Finnish kaksi and Estonian kaks.

Pronunciation[edit]

• IPA(key): [ˈkeːt]
  • Audio

MENU

0:00

Numeral[edit]

két

1. (cardinal) two (only as counter before nouns)
    két ember‎ ― two men

Synonyms[edit]

Vietnamese[edit]

Pronunciation[edit]

Etymology 1[edit]

Probably from French perroquet

Noun[edit]

(classifier con) két

1. (chiefly Southern Vietnam) parrot
Synonyms[edit]

Etymology 2[edit]

Probably from French paquet or English packet

Noun[edit]

(classifier cái, chiếc) két

1. safe; strongbox; coffer; lockbox
  2. case (used to store glass bottles of beer or soft drink)

Since Vietnam was a French colony, I'm going with those possibilities.

Ergo, "Le Roc Ket" means --

1.  The Rock Parrot or

2.  The Rock Safe

Pretty clunky and awkward if you ask me.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Objective uniform opinion from a guy who knows nothing about hockey:

The extra 9 on the sleeve is beyond stupid. Just junks up the uniform and makes it hard to tell who is who.

The fire on the back looks like a tramp stamp.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

11 hours ago, philcar1994 said:

They used the Ice Hockey mock-up from SportsTemplates.net, so I am pretty sure it's only the mockup's texture and cut, not what the actual jersey will look like (Possibly)

Hockey_Uniform-Template_3_Views.png

Well that is wholeheartedly disappointing.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I actually like the little rocket-blast detail and the "Le Rocket" shield. But in general, this sucks. The primary logo isn't "classic" or "iconic" - it's boring and cluttered. They should have gone with a depiction of an actual rocket or something instead of trying to rip off the Habs' logo. I understand why they did the latter, but it's not working.

The chest stripes needed to continue onto the sleeves. The "Le Rocket" shield should have been on the shoulders instead of the city name, which already appears on the collar. And the "9" logo shouldn't be anywhere on the uniform, since it makes it look like every player is #9. As it stands now, the sleeves are a disaster. With all the competing elements fighting for attention, they make the sweaters look like the European hockey teams who cram ads into every space they can think of.

I have no idea how they managed to screw up such a simple uniform, but they did it.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

22 hours ago, hockey week said:

*thick Quebecois accent* Well of course they all want to be number 9. It was always five Maurice Richards against five other Maurice Richards!

Heef you're doo-hing a Quebecois hacksent, h'you 'ave to tyyyype hit ooout. Heet would beeee tOO la-zeee to juss...hindicate hit wid da hasterisks! Hi give you pair-mis-shawn to h'use my beeeet.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I really want to like this design, but I have to agree that for a package that's meant to be "classic" or "timeless" there are just too many odd elements for this to be truly successful.

• The sleeves are just a hot mess. It looks like they couldn't decide on any single element so they just threw everything on. The result is each element diminishes the impact of the other elements resulting in a cluttered meaningless NASCAR-esque jumble.
  • The various accents, lines, and notches on the "R" feel very arbitrary and inconsistent. As @chickenfish13 pointed out the negative space within the R is so painfully close to being in the shape of a rocket I can't help but notice its absence. It's like smelling a steak on the grill when you're hungry but getting tuna casserole instead.
  • It's a personal opinion, but I really dislike full text in a logo. Ideally, I feel like a logo should communicate the identity of the team without having to literally spell it out.
    • Another issue I have with spelling out Rocket within the letter "R" is that it suggests the "R" stands for something other than Rocket, like the location. I'd be curious to show the design to someone who didn't know anything about the team and whether they'd assume they played in Regina or Richmond.

As for the good:

• I really like the "flame" element. It's simple and playful while communicating the rocket identity far better than any of the other elements. I also appreciate that it's suggestive of a maple leaf without being overly obvious.
  • I also appreciate that it conveys the spirit of the Montreal Canadiens without being a direct ape-ing of their branding.

24 minutes ago, henburg said:

I dig it, a nice timeless look with some added modern flare. But I couldn't help but be reminded a bit of this :lol:

200px-Team_Rocket_trio_DP_2.png

This entire thread, I was thinking... "waiting for the Team Rocket reference... what? nobody? seriously? I can't be the only..."

And there it is, in the last reply. The R is kinda similar...

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

• 3 months later...

I like the logo. That's about the only positive thing I can say.

The name sounds terrible, much like the "Stanford Cardinal." The jersey looks more like a Panthers jersey than a Canadiens jersey. The "9" is visual clutter and is easily confused for the players' number. The torch looks like an upside-down mountain.

Frankly, this is a dumpster fire with a reasonably good logo plastered over it.

Archived