Laval Rocket

kiwi_canadian

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I'm still not understanding the singular name. They can still call themselves the RocketS and pay homage to Maurice. It sounds stupid. 

The French have a weird way of naming teams with singular names. Acadie-Bathhurst Titan, Laval National, Laval Saints, Montreal Junior, Montreal Rocket

On 5/28/2017 at 11:30 PM, kroywen said:

I like the logo. That's about the only positive thing I can say.

The name sounds terrible, much like the "Stanford Cardinal." The jersey looks more like a Panthers jersey than a Canadiens jersey. The "9" is visual clutter and is easily confused for the players' number. The torch looks like an upside-down mountain.

Frankly, this is a dumpster fire with a reasonably good logo plastered over it.

Agreed.  What a mess.  It seems absurd to name the club after Richard and then overload the tribute with additional references to him as though that wasn't enough.  And the 9 and flames are supposed to be one element.

A graphic flame icon propelling the Rocket's number upwards is also found below the player's number on the back and on the socks, drawing a reference to the speed of a propelling rocket. 

The problem is that there's no visual continuity at all between the two elements - they look totally unrelated.  If the 9 is supposed to be a rocket, design it to look like a rocket and not a 9 above an upside-down Coors Light ad.

I do like the R.  But even that is problematic - the logo only works on the red sweater.  Allowing the red stripe to continue behind the blue R eliminates that negative space and makes it harder to read.

img_20170131_140709_720.jpg

I really want to like this set.  And there is a lot that I like individually.  But together, it's a cluttered mess.

On 1/31/2017 at 2:40 PM, jp1409 said:

By the way, I absolutely hate the sleeves and the "fire" things on the back of the jersey and socks. The weird shield logo on the sleeves is ugly as :censored:...

LE

ROC

KET

Really?

Screenshot_2017-01-31-16-14-31.png

I'm not sure how we missed this before.  The "Le Roc Ket" shield is actually an eye chart, but they forgot to make the letters smaller as you move down.

1445491601568857382.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Agreed.  What a mess.  It seems absurd to name the club after Richard and then overload the tribute with additional references to him as though that wasn't enough.  And the 9 and flames are supposed to be one element.

The problem is that there's no visual continuity at all between the two elements - they look totally unrelated.  If the 9 is supposed to be a rocket, design it to look like a rocket and not a 9 above an upside-down Coors Light ad.

I do like the R.  But even that is problematic - the logo only works on the red sweater.  Allowing the red stripe to continue behind the blue R eliminates that negative space and makes it harder to read.

img_20170131_140709_720.jpg

I really want to like this set.  And there is a lot that I like individually.  But together, it's a cluttered mess.

The only thing I don't like is the 9/rocket blast on the sleeves. Everything else works very well, in my opinion.

20 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I'm still not understanding the singular name. They can still call themselves the RocketS and pay homage to Maurice. It sounds stupid. 

15 hours ago, philcar1994 said:

The French have a weird way of naming teams with singular names. Acadie-Bathhurst Titan, Laval National, Laval Saints, Montreal Junior, Montreal Rocket

It might have something to do with the translation as I assume they have English and French translations of the team name.

Archived