Lions New Logo and Uniforms 2017

gek_6

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know one thing, I'm often not a fan of shoehorning black into perfectly good color schemes, and the Millen-era set is a textbook example of why.  Basically, for the most part, the black elements all looked like somebody tacked them on at the last minute and Millen, the Fords or whoever said "good enough."  The now-retired set, though, I felt black was incorporated with much more thought behind it, and the end result looked much more like a quintessential Lions uniform than what preceded it.  The upcoming new set has a tough act to follow.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

On 2/20/2017 at 1:46 PM, McCarthy said:

Also, remember the last time a Detroit team leaned too heavily on the automotive industry theme? We got this

grant_hill_pistons_dribble.jpg

At least in that case it made sense to lean on the automotive industry since the team is named after a component of an automobile engine (though the result was horrendous).  Using the automotive industry as the inspiration for a Lions uniform would fall squarely into the "trying way too hard" category.

On 2/20/2017 at 5:25 PM, anythinglogos said:

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I liked the inclusion of black in their latest uniforms, they were very solid uniforms and the striping patter worked way more than the outline-ridden mess of the Millen era, and and frankly better than the Sanders era too. Black allowed to include white into the uniform without making it disappear  or muddle up the silver in every single application. 

If the Lions eliminated black, I'd rather they eliminate white from the home uniform too, taking inspiration from the 60's uniform, IMO the best ones in their history along with the current

earl_morrall_1963_10_06.jpg

After seeing the Lions for most of my life with blue-white-blue helmet stripes, this version looks incomplete.

The more interesting part of this picture to me is the 49ers in silver helmets and pants.  Metallic gold seems like such an ingrained part of the 49ers' identity that is hard to imagine that it once wasn't a part of their identity at all.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

1 hour ago, leopard88 said:

The more interesting part of this picture to me is the 49ers in silver helmets and pants.  Metallic gold seems like such an ingrained part of the 49ers' identity that is hard to imagine that it once wasn't a part of their identity at all.

I know, right?  The team was named after the Gold Rush, for crying out loud.  The 49ers didn't flock to Northern California to mine silver.  San Francisco wasn't built on a wave of people with silver in their eyes.

I could understand not using gold if metallics weren't an option given production methods then in use, but to deliberately choose silver over gold is baffling.

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

It's the NFL's version of the Penguins in double blue. The current color scheme makes so much sense you wonder how they ever chose to wear anything different. 

What is crazier about the double blues is that the logo on those jerseys was . . . wait for it . . . black and gold!

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

I know, right?  The team was named after the Gold Rush, for crying out loud.  The 49ers didn't flock to Northern California to mine silver.  San Francisco wasn't built on a wave of people with silver in their eyes.

I could understand not using gold if metallics weren't an option given production methods then in use, but to deliberately choose silver over gold is baffling.

this has honestly bugged me for years.

it's like when the red sox wear blue socks, or the white sox wear black socks. when your entire team identity is based on one specific identifier, you should probably not contradict it.

4 minutes ago, ColeJ said:

this has honestly bugged me for years.

it's like when the red sox wear blue socks, or the white sox wear black socks. when your entire team identity is based on one specific identifier, you should probably not contradict it.

Totally agree on the Sox teams. Although I am partial to the black socks for the White Sox. I guess I like to contradict myself!

1 hour ago, jmac11281 said:

Totally agree on the Sox teams. Although I am partial to the black socks for the White Sox. I guess I like to contradict myself!

The tough thing with the White Sox is that actual white socks generally don't look great with baseball uniforms aesthetically (especially with gray pants). They'd need to have very prominent striping to work, which would generally conflict with the White Sox's pinstripes.

I always thought a decent compromise would be a sock that's black on top and white on the bottom, maybe separated by a gray stripe. It'd probably look somewhat similar to an NFL sock, all told.

The White Sox did make actual white socks look pretty good in the 1959 World Series, but I'm not sure it'd work as a full time look (or on a more modern cut of uniform). And likewise, it'd look terrible with their away uniforms:

maxresdefault.jpg

I've always been a proponent of both nfl-style white-bottomed socks, and black pants for the white socks.... not at the same time, but as two separate options.

i know that's crazy though.

41 minutes ago, kroywen said:

The tough thing with the White Sox is that actual white socks generally don't look great with baseball uniforms aesthetically (especially with gray pants). They'd need to have very prominent striping to work, which would generally conflict with the White Sox's pinstripes.

I think it can work fine.  In an era where baseball players wear their pants down literally to the ground, something like this can work.

Eight-men-out-LARGE.jpg

Or put a thick black horizontal stripe at the top to break it up.   But either way it can still work.

6 hours ago, leopard88 said:

At least in that case it made sense to lean on the automotive industry since the team is named after a component of an automobile engine (though the result was horrendous).  Using the automotive industry as the inspiration for a Lions uniform would fall squarely into the "trying way too hard" category.

so much of modern sports branding involves pulling concepts from the local area. whether its using a local/state animal as a mascot, state flag colors, or something from the area's history it's usually a good direction to pull from things that are synonymous with the place you represent. and if the Lions said "let's look at Ford/Chevy/Chrysler aesthetic and history to see if there's anything we can pull from" i don't know why the immediate reaction would be "no, that's bad." on top of that, i don't know where the Lions Honolulu blue came from, but it's very close to Ford Engine Blue and that could have been a great story for the brand if they had named it so. if they decided "we took inspiration from 60's muscle cars for our new sleeve stripes" i also think that would be a great story and design direction for this team

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

On 2/20/2017 at 8:41 PM, WavePunter said:

Maybe the new uniforms will evoke the riot nature of Detroit natives

t5KpXF3.gif

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

54 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

so much of modern sports branding involves pulling concepts from the local area. whether its using a local/state animal as a mascot, state flag colors, or something from the area's history it's usually a good direction to pull from things that are synonymous with the place you represent. and if the Lions said "let's look at Ford/Chevy/Chrysler aesthetic and history to see if there's anything we can pull from" i don't know why the immediate reaction would be "no, that's bad." on top of that, i don't know where the Lions Honolulu blue came from, but it's very close to Ford Engine Blue and that could have been a great story for the brand if they had named it so. if they decided "we took inspiration from 60's muscle cars for our new sleeve stripes" i also think that would be a great story and design direction for this team

Perhaps my fear about this is based on two things.  First, my default reaction is to expect the plan to be taken to the extreme, leaving us with lots of chrome and a wordmark that looks like it was lifted from a Chevrolet Bel Air (see below). The Pistons didn't go to that extreme, but the results weren't good.  Second, I know inspiration can be drawn from many sources, but I usually find the corporate speak that accompanies unveiling to sound ridiculously overblown (as memorialized in their own thread, if memory serves me).  As a result, the explanations often sound like they were concocted after the fact (even if that isn't true).

tf118.png 

The Lions are an 80+ year old franchise with a fairly conservative uniform history, the recent foray into black notwithstanding.  I believe they would be best served by maintaining that conservative approach.

46 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

Perhaps my fear about this is based on two things.  First, my default reaction is to expect the plan to be taken to the extreme, leaving us with lots of chrome and a wordmark that looks like it was lifted from a Chevrolet Bel Air (see below). The Pistons didn't go to that extreme, but the results weren't good.  Second, I know inspiration can be drawn from many sources, but I usually find the corporate speak that accompanies unveiling to sound ridiculously overblown (as memorialized in their own thread, if memory serves me).  As a result, the explanations often sound like they were concocted after the fact (even if that isn't true).

tf118.png 

The Lions are an 80+ year old franchise with a fairly conservative uniform history, the recent foray into black notwithstanding.  I believe they would be best served by maintaining that conservative approach.

50's style auto badges is another direction i had in mind myself and think taking some cues from that era could work very well too. that doesn't mean to make a wordmark like the Bel Air badge, but what if you took their new modern-block and beveled it like a chrome badge? or added a single flourish on a letter? or trimmed it in chrome instead of gray? you can take anything and turn it into something else that is either tasteful or gaudy. i just don't believe you can say "let's not look at any of these things at all" or because the Pistons started with a similar concept that anyone else would end up with the same-ish result. 

i totally agree that press releases for sports identities are overblown to say the least. and i believe too, they're written after the fact with no to little input from the design team, which is why we shouldn't worry about that aspect of it at all. every piece of design is inspired by something, trying to meet some sort of goal and communicate a visual message. that doesn't mean you're going to end up with a BS press story, it just means that some organizations arn't really good at communicating the things that actually went into it– or feel the need to do more for whatever reason. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived