Lions New Logo and Uniforms 2017

gek_6

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, henburg said:

Again, this is all speculation since we can't even see the whole set, but from what can be seen this looks to be a pretty conservative set with small pieces of flair like the word mark on the sleeve. Thats why I am confused by people comparing it to the much busier Bucs and Jags (which both sets get too much hate IMO but that's an entirely different discussion). I like that Nike is trying to keep things rooted in the past but also adding touches to make it modern and fresh. I am a detail-oriented person as well, which is why I enjoy this site in the first place. I guess I just don't really see how it's any more stupid or pointless putting a word mark on a sleeve as opposed to a logo other than the fact that we're just not accustomed to seeing it there with most uniforms. It appears to be an interesting added piece of flair that doesn't compromise the stripe, so I don't see anything wrong with it. All that being said, I'll give my full opinion once the complete reveal is done. 

highly debatable.. the AL over the stripes on the old browns jerseys, as well as the GSH on the bears jerseys both compromise the stripe imo.. 

logos and numbers work well on sleeves for a few reasons.. 1 - numbers offer a method of identification when the front/back of a player can't be seen. 2 - logos and numbers are usually concise and quickly recognizable enough to help distinguish players/team. 3 - they are both good space-fillers, especially when a striping pattern isn't desired.. if a striping pattern IS desired, then let the striping pattern stand alone as the design element that it is.. there's no point in cluttering it up with text or additional logos.. the way teams "spice up" their striping pattern is by having a unique striping pattern or design that is associated with the team.  cramming a wordmark into a stripe is a swing-and-a-miss, imo

uniform_1984.jpgAtlantaFalcons1988.jpg

IMO, both the above jersey sleeves look overcrowded, and that was back when football jerseys actually had real sleeves.  Now, with the tiny sleeve caps, the space is almost nil.

I'd feel better about the idea if the wordmark was about half the size that it appears to be in that image.

I admit, deciding to love it or hate it before we've even actually really seen it is silly, but that's what we always do here, and dammit, I enjoy it, so I'm not stopping.

5 hours ago, whitedawg22 said:

Regarding the Lions wordmark on the sleeves: It's a given that any newly-designed jersey has to have the team name on it somewhere for marketing purposes. Most teams have chosen to go with a small chest wordmark, like the Lions' current uniforms, the Broncos, the Patriots, the Texans, the 49ers, and many others. But the chest of a uniform gets crowded, with the NFL collar logo, the numbers, and various patches. So although my first reaction is "WTF," I don't mind the sleeve logo as much as I thought I would. Other teams that have done that (Bucs, Seahawks) have been able to avoid cluttering the front of the uniform.

The reason teams put it on the front is so it's visible when fans wear jerseys under coats or jackets.

SdxbH1P.png

2 hours ago, henburg said:

Thats why I am confused by people comparing it to the much busier Bucs and Jags (which both sets get too much hate IMO but that's an entirely different discussion). 

No, no, no, no. The Bucs and Jags uniforms still haven't received the amount of hate they truly deserve. Those uniforms (more the helmet for the Jags if I'm being honest) are a blight to football and the NFL. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Contemporary wordmark right on top of traditional stripe screams of them not being able to decide and wanting it both ways. Terrible. 

Does it it look like single color numbers? I'd like that. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

No, no, no, no. The Bucs and Jags uniforms still haven't received the amount of hate they truly deserve. Those uniforms (more the helmet for the Jags if I'm being honest) are a blight to football and the NFL. 

Not if I have anything to say about it!

3 hours ago, henburg said:

Thats why I am confused by people comparing it to the much busier Bucs and Jags (which both sets get too much hate IMO but that's an entirely different discussion).

The Bucs and Jags can never get too much hate. Never. That's their punishment for their abominations. Constant ridicule. So that other teams may know better. 

Seriously. They're two of the worst "Big Four" uniforms I've ever seen. 

3 hours ago, henburg said:

I like that Nike is trying to keep things rooted in the past but also adding touches to make it modern and fresh.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

*ahem*

We get enough brand-speak with the actual unveiling. No need to add to the :censored: pile.

I've never been a fan of logos on top of sleeve stripes, and this is no exception, but I can deal with it. If they put the "Detroit" wordmark inside the pants stripe though, I'm getting out the pitchfork.

And I have a bad feeling that the pitchfork will getting used.

spacer.png

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Contemporary wordmark right on top of traditional stripe screams of them not being able to decide and wanting it both ways. Terrible. 

Does it it look like single color numbers? I'd like that. 

I think in certain cases, single color numbers are pretty nice.  In this case, with silver and white being so close, and on that grainy image, it's pretty hard to tell. 

3 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I still think those facemasks might be chrome.

The worst part about the possibility of you being correct is the fact that if the facemasks are chrome, they likely won't limit the use of chrome to JUST the facemasks..

4 hours ago, WavePunter said:

highly debatable.. 

5 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

IMO, both the above jersey sleeves look overcrowded...

You both bring up a lot of really good points, and I agree with you in your examples. I think that the I find it less offensive in this case because the script is actually contained within the stripe so it muddles the design less than some of those logos do. And in the time we live in now, I don't think quick descriptors are as necessary on the sleeves of uniforms. However, it will be interesting to see if the smaller sleeves we see on players today affects the legibility or appearance.

3 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

No, no, no, no...

2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Bucs and Jags can never get too much hate. Never. That's their punishment for their abominations. Constant ridicule. So that other teams may know better. 

Seriously. They're two of the worst "Big Four" uniforms I've ever seen. 

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

*ahem*

We get enough brand-speak with the actual unveiling. No need to add to the :censored: pile.

Hahaha, I didn't mean to sound like a PR robot there, but I'll still stand by what I said. I hope I am not derailing this thread to badly here (that wasn't my intetnion at all) but both the Bucs and Jags are a few small tweaks away from having great modern uniform sets. The Bucs already have my favorite helmet in the NFL, and I think that simply changing the number font to match their new wordmark would instantly make their sets one of the better ones in the NFL. With the Jags, simply change the current helmet to have the subtle teal finish like the last one had and wear teal jerseys at home and their set is also great. The inaugural Jaguars uniform that is very highly-praised around here is clean and solid, but really lacks in personality compared to the new set. The Buccaneers previous set was also good, but again, a little bit generic to me.

I know that these are unpopular opinions for the most part, but I feel like these threads often spiral down into big circlejerks where people regurgitate the same photos of old uniforms and talking points stating that "all they have to do is return to this exact set!" which is boring to me. It feels like many of you think that the basic outline for what a football uniform should look like was decided half a century ago and that any sets deviating from that are too busy, which I really disagree with. Getting back to the Lions, there is a decent chance that I will regret defending their new set once it is unveiled, but I feel that based upon what can be currently seen that we are in for a solid, interesting set. 

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, henburg said:

I know that these are unpopular opinions for the most part, but I feel like these threads often spiral down into big circlejerks where people regurgitate the same photos of old uniforms and talking points stating that "all they have to do is return to this exact set!" which is boring to me. It feels like many of you think that the basic outline for what a football uniform should look like was decided half a century ago and that any sets deviating from that are too busy, which I really disagree with.

For me I reject the idea that "new" and "unique" automatically mean "good."

To crib from @infrared41 and @Gothamite? A classic pinstriped suit will always look great, but whatever is trendy now will look silly in five year's time. The original Jags set and the last Bucs set could have worked in the 1990s, 2000s, or 2010s. Or even the 80s or earlier. They're clean, and that made them timeless. The current sets, even if they made the tweaks you're suggesting, have all the hallmarks of mid/late 2010s design. Once those trends run their course? They'll look dated. Much like how the Falcons and Bengals look dated now, due to hanging on to uniforms that exemplify mid/late 2000s trends.

If you go with a classic look though? You're always in style.

8 minutes ago, henburg said:

Getting back to the Lions, there is a decent chance that I will regret defending their new set once it is unveiled, but I feel that based upon what can be currently seen that we are in for a solid, interesting set. 

Honestly? I see no reason to make much of a judgment call one way or another. We have a partial glimpse of the new set in a picture that's heavily saturated. I'm keeping an open mind for the most part.

Save for the sleeve wordmark. I don't hate the concept in theory. The 80s University of Kentucky jerseys pulled off the "CATS" wordmark in the sleeve stripes, but it's like what @oldschoolvikings said. Back then football uniforms had proper sleeves. You had real estate as a designer to try stuff like this. Sleeves these days barely exist. So a wordmark on top of traditional striping? It's too much stuff in too small a space.

Again, I'm keeping an open mind, but that one element seems doomed to failure by the realities of modern football jersey cuts.

3 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I still think those facemasks might be chrome.

Based on Colorwerx implication, I'm pretty sure it is chrome. I said it earlier in this thread but the Lions have a good reason to do this, as we all know about the Auto Industry's connection with Detroit. I feel like the car connection was inevitable at some point in this franchise's history, much like the Detroit Pistons in the 90's with their attempt of showing an Exhaust and Horsepower.

bSLCtu2.png

1 minute ago, Old School Fool said:

I feel like the car connection was inevitable at some point in this franchise's history, much like the Detroit Pistons in the 90's with their attempt to channel chrome and horsepower.

Well we all saw how that turned out...

Archived