Lions New Logo and Uniforms 2017

gek_6

4 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Sometimes there's a deeper meaning to things. The Mets' blue and orange colour scheme comes to mind. There's a reason for that outside of aesthetics.

Cases like that are a minority though. Often team names, colours, and uniform elements are chosen for reasons that just boil down to the aesthetic preferences of the manufacturer and club. 

Not everything has a deeper meaning, and Nike-speak's (which isn't limited to Nike) attempt to assign meaning just makes everyone involved look foolish. 

A great case would be the Maple Leafs' new logo. All they had to say was "we wanted to go with the old logo, but it was a bit rough so we cleaned it up." 

Instead Reebok and the team tried to give meaning to every vein and point in the leaf and just ended up looking foolish. 

Agreed.. And it's even more ridiculous when the "nike speak" is SO specific and meaningful for a particular design element for a team - but then other teams share the exact same design element.. Like the "iconic jaws of husky stadium" .. on the Buccaneers' jerseys.. Smh

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Sometimes there's a deeper meaning to things. The Mets' blue and orange colour scheme comes to mind. There's a reason for that outside of aesthetics.

Cases like that are a minority though. Often team names, colours, and uniform elements are chosen for reasons that just boil down to the aesthetic preferences of the manufacturer and club. 

Not everything has a deeper meaning, and Nike-speak's (which isn't limited to Nike) attempt to assign meaning just makes everyone involved look foolish. 

A great case would be the Maple Leafs' new logo. All they had to say was "we wanted to go with the old logo, but it was a bit rough so we cleaned it up." 

Instead Reebok and the team tried to give meaning to every vein and point in the leaf and just ended up looking foolish. 

The Padres' battleship grey, which doesn't appear anywhere but on the road jerseys (just like everyone else), is another good example of this.

Am I the only who sees the "Lions" wordmark on what look to be a gray/color rush alt and none of the others?  People are acting as if they just pulled a "Browns" on the pants here. 

Hard to tell really all that much, although I was hoping for a return to the blue facemasks. I wouldnt hate chrome if thats what it is. Detroit is actually the one city where having it's football team run around with a chrome grill makes actual sense. 

16 minutes ago, BrianLion said:

Am I the only who sees the "Lions" wordmark on what look to be a gray/color rush alt and none of the others?  People are acting as if they just pulled a "Browns" on the pants here. 

Hard to tell really all that much, although I was hoping for a return to the blue facemasks. I wouldnt hate chrome if thats what it is. Detroit is actually the one city where having it's football team run around with a chrome grill makes actual sense. 

It's clearly on the right sleeve of the home blue jersey.  It's a little bit more faint on the left sleeve of the white jersey, but it's there.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

It's clearly on the right sleeve of the home blue jersey.  It's a little bit more faint on the left sleeve of the white jersey, but it's there.

dammit now I see it. Was looking on my phone before.  

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Good.  If they are going to do it, I'd prefer both to just the right.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 3/29/2017 at 1:14 PM, VDizzle12 said:

Maybe it only says Lions on the right sleeve? I don't really see it on the white jersey.

On 3/29/2017 at 1:19 PM, VDizzle12 said:

I was actually thinking it would say Detroit somewhere on the pants. Maybe in the middle of the pants stripes?

Wondering where they will force that "fur" pattern. My guesses would be the numbers.

hmm...

Maybe the reddit poster was just reading this thread, or Nike is just becoming way too predictable. 

The numbers might be the worst part. From a distance that pattern just looks like static noise or some random spots.

1 hour ago, BJ Sands said:

A single grain of salt, or many many grains of salt?

I mean it matches up with everything in the teaser pic...

I like elements, and this is actually the one team imo that can justify a chrome mask. I like the idea of the wordmark racing stripes, but i don't think theyre gonna be executed as well as they could be. The fur pattern doesn't sound like it's gonna look good, but is used throughout that graphic. We'll see what happens. 

3 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

A single grain of salt, or many many grains of salt?

That's pretty much a rundown of the teaser pic, with some additional detail that may or may not be true.  It's odd that the post thinks the wordmark will be on both shoulders on two jerseys, but only one shoulder on the home jersey.  That doesn't make sense if he's actually seen them...it just agrees with the teaser pic.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

They seriously need to knock off the text-down-the-pant-leg thing they're trying to force.  It sucks bigtime ass.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I am one of the few that liked the addition of the black and think it's a downgrade to remove it.  Although a lot of teams added black for black's sake during the 90s and 00s, this one made sense to me as it complimented the blue and silver and helped to give a better definition.  Prior to the addition of the black, I always felt like the Lions needed something dividing the silver and blue (other than white)....if they were using a darker blue, I probably wouldn't have felt that way.  I honestly felt it was one of the nicer "new looks" in the league.  Oh, well...

This is the same guy who "leaked" the Color Rush uniforms, and failed badly. Not buying it.

(No, not NFL_Leaks, who actually got it right, impossibly - there was this exact guy [I remember his saying "I predicted the Browns uniforms to many accounts of bull:censored:ing"] before him)

ExJworW.png

Archived