Lions New Logo and Uniforms 2017

gek_6

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its safe for me to say this is my 2nd favorite set of the Nike era, behind the Vikings and slightly ahead of the Dolphins.

I actually kind of like the Lions wordmark in the stripe, I just wish it was on both sides instead of the WCF. I like the Color Rush uniform, too. 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah - he owned the Lions for a long time, during which they became synonymous with ineptitude. 

He didnt found the team, nor was he in charge during their one world championship.  "Embarrassing" is exactly the right word. 

Um, four. Four world championships. Granted it's been a while, but let's get it right.

Looking at the Stafford side-by-side, I'm still seeing white(ish) numbers with grey trim that's pretty close to matching the sleeve stripes.

According to the official description, the numbers are grey outlined by a darker grey (steel something or other). I guess I'm seeing what I want to see.

I absolutely love the primaries outside of what is on the sleeves.  

WCF is bad...permanent tributes gotta go, including GSH.  

But I love the lack of black, the stripe pattern (particularly the basic application on the pants), and the blue pants (a pleasant surprise), but most of all the black-free color scheme.

This is one of the best NFL overhauls in my memory in terms of primaries.

I don't like the grays or throwbacks.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

As a fan of 40+ years I'm happy.

Are they perfect? No. They have some big flaws. (the number font, WCF can eat :censored:)

But they also get a lot right, and are mostly an improvement. (love the colors)

As we've seen with Cleveland, Jacksonville, and Tampa, it could've been a LOT worse. 

Frustrating look at the sleeve wordmark differences. They need to be treated the same. Either do the white outlines or don't do them. But don't make them clash. The vertical stripe is cool in theory but terrible when laid over the sleeve stripes. Way too cluttered. Maybe if they continued the vertical stripe to the top and bottom of the sleeve stripes, it would look more intentional. Then again, they could have just put Lions or WCF sans stripes, or better yet, no wordmark. Looks like they made the text the same size on each, but the vertical stripes are what forced them to do the outline. They were overthinking it.

IMG_8278.PNG

I'm glad to see the Lions have finally made the western conference finals.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Just now noticing, it looks like the widths of the pants stripes are inconsistent with the helmet and jersey stripes. Check the negative space gray stripes. Should be the same width as the slim blue outer stripes, but the gray stripes are much thinner.

54 minutes ago, CS85 said:

Numbers are....not great.  They're numbers that look great on skinny guys but stupid on fat or large players.  Should've kept the old numerals or gone to a variation of block.

You just described skinny jeans ?

1 hour ago, BJ Sands said:

At least the Chiefs and Raiders patches are for men who founded their teams and were winning owners with massive impacts on the sport. That's not WCF.

Al Davis didn't found the Oakland Raiders. He wasn't even an employee of the franchise until the team had three AFL seasons under its belt. After the Raiders had played six seasons, Davis was finally able to secure a 10% ownership stake in the team. After six more seasons, Davis had his lawyers draw up a revised partnership agreement that usurped the control of one of the Raiders two principal partners - F. Wayne Valley, one of the team's founding owners - and convinced his other partner to sign it while Valley was out of the country, attending the 1972 Olympic Games in Munich. Within four more years, Davis had completely bought Valley out as a Raiders owner. 

While Davis presided over the Raiders' glory years, the notion that he "founded the team", or was an owner from the outset of the franchise, is revisionist history. Al Davis was a San Diego Chargers assistant coach when the Raiders first took the field. Further, his rise from being head coach of the Raiders to securing control of the franchise as its principal owner was replete with what could, at best, be characterized as shrewd maneuvering. It would more accurately be described as double-dealing, back-stabbing, and power-mongering.

"Just win baby", indeed.  

Archived