Lions New Logo and Uniforms 2017

gek_6

7 minutes ago, CS85 said:

I'm glad to see the Lions have finally made the western conference finals.

That is the one major nitpick I have with the Uniforms. If they had to they could've done what the Raiders could've done and put the initials on the back of the helmet. 

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a Lions fan, I love these.

They look how the Lions should look.  The blue and silver work so well together.  I don't mind the lions wordmark in the stripes, but the WCF is a bit much. 

I was worried they would go too extreme and modern but these are great. 

What I like:

• I really like the helmet stripes and home pants stripes. Total callback to the old 60's uniforms.
  • The facemask looks a lot better than I thought it would. 
  •  

What I don't like:

• Lions wordmark on sleeve. It's forced and entirely unnecessary.
  • The number font is awful. A modern font looks so out of place on a uniform that is clearly inspired by a traditional looking uniform.
  • The white outline on the helmet logo. The white throws off the balance between the logo and the helmet stripes.  The color rush uniform

Overall: Definitely an upgrade from the previous set, but not as much of an upgrade as I was hoping for. Not bad, not great. 

BB52Big.jpg

Love the look...next phase on the field to give it a full evaluation.....Madden 18 with the mix and match to see the white on silver and monochrome look. just kidding  on monochrome...but the Ford memorial is a buzzkill....if they wanted change, getting rid of the wcf memorial would have been a start 

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

They're not bad.  Well, the Color Rush uniform is, but that's almost to be expected. Things like this give me a nervous twitch, though:

Lions-2017-1-590x393.png

If you can't get the sleeve stripes to look the way they were intended even in your uniform unveiling, why have them at all?  It should be the equivalent of the perfectly coiffed commercial Big Mac.  If you can't display the uniform properly, even under perfect conditions, that's just a bad design.

Is the Swoosh the only embroidered detail/decoration?  Hmmm...

All these comments, they're great - but it's all moot, it's all just personal taste, isn't it? For me, to my surprise, I quite like 'em! After that leak I feared the worst, but seeing them now they land well. Sure there are some things I would change but overall I dig it. 

In *my* perfect world we'd delete the logos on the sleeves, and use a traditional font for both the numbers and NOB.. would be perfect. Love the new stripe. 

As as for WCF on the left - well... I guess owning a team has it's perks? True love, isn't it?

Is the blue area of the sleeves supposed to have a pattern?  Perhaps a "fur" pattern?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The old home set was one of my favorites in the league. I'm in the minority in even liking the old number font.

Blue and gray/silver do not contrast well enough for me, and that's why I liked the white and black on the last set. It helped things pop.

I don't hate the new ones, but for me it's a 6.5 from an 8.5.

Takeaways:

~The uniforms are fine. There are some issues that go without restating, but they really won't matter so much in game. They will still look like the Lions and they will still look pretty darn good. I also must say that the throwback looks even better with the new blue and a silver facemask. The NFC North's title for best-dressed division is safe.

~Maybe it's a stretch to think that they would think this far, but I believe that they went to the trouble of making blue pants the norm on the road to move their look away from the Cowboys' main aesthetic for good. Since their new helmet looks even more like the 'Boys than before (silver dome with silver facemask, blue logo and stripe), they thought it would be wise to avoid the potential comparisons altogether and change things up. I'd feel better about it if they'd just use silver socks, though.

And perhaps the biggest:

~I believe that this reveal indicates that solid socks are going to be the norm from now on. They wouldn't just make an exception in the rules for one team who wanted to go against the grain to look cool, so the rule obviously isn't going to exist anymore. And if the league won't enforce it any longer, why the heck would individual teams feel the need to? It's not like it was the teams who decided to add the white sanitaries to their uniforms because they thought that they would complement their looks. Since no one will be stopping them anymore, I think that we're going to see players on all teams make the switch to solid socks (if they haven't done so already) in the next couple of years until the white sanis are a relic of a bygone era. I would imagine that that is because the solid sock look for Color Rush must have been considered a success by the league. Take that for what you will.

I really like the idea of the stripe pattern matching the old GT350 baseboard stripe.  But it just seems boring.  And not boring in a Colts or Packers way... just boring.  I think its the font.  They have a traditional stripe but then they have a modern, italic, rounded font.  It just clashes.  The gray also should have stayed pearl.  The colors don't compliment each other well.

Either way, still better than the Browns.

9 hours ago, Sleeper66 said:

Um, four. Four world championships. Granted it's been a while, but let's get it right.

Damn it, I knew that once. I was thinking about 57 and forgot the others. 

Thanks for the correction.  I do think it strengthens my point - Ford didn't have anything to do with any of those championships, and it's embarrassing for the Lions to be as ignorant of their own history as I apparently am. :P

I'm still having trouble seeing those home numbers as silver with a dark Gray trim... they look white with silver to me in every picture. Maybe just wishful thinking on my part.

Has anybody found any images where they look silver with Gray trim, like it says in the description?

I only have 2 gripes with this uniform (ignoring color rush since they're trash like 90% of the time).

-The text on the sleeve. Just put the wordmark below the collar, It looks dumb anywhere else. Guess Nike hasn't learned their lesson from the Seahawks and Bucs. And the WCF is just a Bears GSH rip off.

-The leotard look on the road. Why do teams think this looks good? Either throw some stripes on there or wear gray socks.

Other than that I think it's a pretty solid uniform. I love the blue pants, but like I said above, the leotard ruins it. Hopefully they still wear the gray ones on the road for like 2-4 games per year. Let's also pray they never get tempted to go mono-blue. Nice to see the Thanksgiving throwbacks back as well.

Archived