Lions New Logo and Uniforms 2017

gek_6

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

I think a lot of traditionalists would have been happy to see the Barry Sanders era with the updated logo.  But most of them are just glad the black's gone.  Everyone else, regardless of how they feel, gets to see more Nike.

Additionally, say the Lions went back to the Sanders era...some people would probably call Nike "lazy" for not really doing anything original.  A team would really, really have to want to go back for it to happen.

Then again, if they'd done a slightly modified version of the Sims-era set, how many folks in the "Nike=fire" demo would even know the original existed?

BS 20.PNG

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

Cleveland could be the test of whether "nobody will ever go back to an old look" is 100% true.

I would not be totally blown away if the Browns ended up with their traditional uniforms.  It's at least a small part of what everyone clamored for regarding the "Cleveland Deal."  And I think there are a lot of people who think that the Browns should be toned down.  It will be interesting to see.  Will they go all the way back?  Or will they get a closer-to-traditional look with some "Nike" flair in the form of a custom font, serifs, stripes that match the sleeveless template, or some other goofy thing that's just being cooked up in some plucky intern's mind as we speak?

*I recall reading facebook comments after the Vikings released their current uniform that they went with a "throwback" look. I don't know whether we should be laughing at those fans or they should be laughing at us.

I agree that it wouldn't be shocking to see the Browns go back (or most of the way back) to their old look... but if they redesign in a few years, they would be the first team to switch twice in the Nike era, so that would make them a special case.

As for your point about some people thinking the Vikings new uniforms were "throwbacks"...

I've told this story on these boards before, but it's been a while so it's probably OK to repeat it. I have a semi-friend (husband of my wife’s best friend) who is also a big Viking fan, and I was talking with him not long after the Viking's new look debuted. He was going on about how he was excited that the Vikings were (I’m quoting here) “going to wear their throwbacks full time now.” I said, no, they’re getting brand new uniforms. He says, yeah, but they’re just new versions of the throwbacks. So, of course, I start to explain just a few of the numerous ways in which these new uniforms are nothing like the throwbacks. I’m not even done talking before I start to get the here-we-go-again eye roll from him. And then he says (quote again) “yeah, they’re not exact, I guess, but, you know… plain white numbers, stripes on the sleeves… they're basically the throwbacks, right?”

6 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I've told this story on these boards before, but it's been a while so it's probably OK to repeat it. I have a semi-friend (husband of my wife’s best friend) who is also a big Viking fan, and I was talking with him not long after the Viking's new look debuted. He was going on about how he was excited that the Vikings were (I’m quoting here) “going to wear their throwbacks full time now.” I said, no, they’re getting brand new uniforms. He says, yeah, but they’re just new versions of the throwbacks. So, of course, I start to explain just a few of the numerous ways in which these new uniforms are nothing like the throwbacks. I’m not even done talking before I start to get the here-we-go-again eye roll from him. And then he says (quote again) “yeah, they’re not exact, I guess, but, you know… plain white numbers, stripes on the sleeves… they're basically the throwbacks, right?”

That's when we know that we're the weirdos.  Assuming this guy is not too far off of your age group, he remembers at lest the 1980s.  And if he's a big Viking fan, I'd frankly expect him to at least better-acknowledge the difference along with the "old school" feel or something.  Imagine how much, say, Steeler fans pick up on this with the Vikings.  Some of them may legitimately believe they adopted those throwbacks full-time

But it's not like we're talking about something like the updated Target Field Twins wordmark (which I doubt most people still even know changed) or that nice little Viking logo update (even more subtle) from a few years ago.  So I do remain surprised.

I think among normal fans (i.e., not us), their are still tiers...I know some people that have feelings on uniform changes and would never suggest that the Vikes are in throwbacks.  My friend who is more into uniforms than most (but still would never come here to talk about socks) said he liked the new uniforms because it reminded him of the old days when they were "mostly purple and white."  But he gets that it's not a throwback.  But there are other fans who essentially know the team colors and uniforms are just way off the radar.  I don't talk uniforms with them because they think I'm a kook when I do.  So, since I don't, I sometimes wonder what (or whether) they think of recent trends.  Why there are several possible uniforms the Twins may be wearing when they arrive at Target Field.  Do they just not even think about it when the see the red alt or the Memorial Day garb?  I can barely put myself in their shoes.  It's a huge chunk of what I notice during down time.

I apologize for the Digression.  These Lion uniforms are nice but Nike kept them from ideal.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, Sleeper66 said:

Then again, if they'd done a slightly modified version of the Sims-era set, how many folks in the "Nike=fire" demo would even know the original existed?

BS 20.PNG

What is going on with those sleeve stripes? its like they were trying to decide between two different sets of stripes and just said :censored: it, we will go with both.

7 minutes ago, dmhtfld said:

What is going on with those sleeve stripes? its like they were trying to decide between two different sets of stripes and just said :censored: it, we will go with both.

???

They're just silver Northwestern stripes with white borders on each stripe.  The bottoms just got cut off by some players.

They're supposed to look like this.

d55b8859bc0152cfb7ea5ca5a857bb07.jpg8539f03f4560a08bc772e3d4a64a8883.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

4 minutes ago, dmhtfld said:

They are regular Northwestern stripes, outlined in white, but the bottom stripes have been chopped off. (posted 0.5 seconds after leopard88).

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I don't see why the Lions can't just modernize their old uniforms. Similar to what the Jays did back in 2012. Take the same template, but update the logo, font, etc. I guess the Lions already did this to a certain extent, though.

11 hours ago, WavePunter said:

The Browns don't fit with the other 3 here.. They were currently wearing their classic set when they decided to redesign.. If they had gone back to it, there would've been no change, since they've worn essentially the same design for their entire existence.. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they do go back to that look (or at least something similar) as soon as the 5 years is up

The Browns' previous set was almost identical, yes. They could have improved the look by lightening the brown, thinning out the stripes on the white pants, eliminating the brown pants, and wearing only striped socks. However, their look was certainly passable. The only thing they really needed to do with come up with an actual primary logo. Of course, they messed literally everything up, but still failed to make a primary logo.

But I agree. They'll probably come closest of any Nike team to going back completely to the classic look. But there will, of course, be a handful of Nike flourishes.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

10 hours ago, TheOldRoman said:

The Browns' previous set was almost identical, yes. They could have improved the look by lightening the brown, thinning out the stripes on the white pants, eliminating the brown pants, and wearing only striped socks. However, their look was certainly passable. The only thing they really needed to do with come up with an actual primary logo. Of course, they messed literally everything up, but still failed to make a primary logo.

But I agree. They'll probably come closest of any Nike team to going back completely to the classic look. But there will, of course, be a handful of Nike flourishes.

I'd even suggest they didn't need to eliminate the brown pants if they would just put stripes on them.. And I'll agree that they absolutely need a primary logo.. While I prefer the helmet remain logoless, they need something other than a solid orange helmet as a logo

I don't know why the Browns can't just have a primary logo and not use it on their helmets. Like, it doesn't seem that hard. Maybe at some point it was traditional to use a helmet logo, but nowadays, it's just dumb. It's hilarious when sports networks just throw up an orange-brown rectangle as the "logo."

16 hours ago, WavePunter said:

I'd even suggest they didn't need to eliminate the brown pants if they would just put stripes on them.. And I'll agree that they absolutely need a primary logo.. While I prefer the helmet remain logoless, they need something other than a solid orange helmet as a logo

Striped brown pants would have looked good, provided they were only worn with the white jerseys and striped white socks. However, it wasn't right for the Browns. But yes, I didn't want them touching the helmet (other than going back to the superior white facemask). Just come up with anything that's not a helmet or a B inside a football.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

13 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

How can people complain about how bad the Lions sleeve stripes are when the Steelers basically have the same thing and nothing is said?

crop_exact_632671364.jpg?h=400&w=600&q=7

THIS. It pains me to even watch a Steelers game because most of the players play with less than half of the original striping on their jerseys because of all the modification. 

1 hour ago, C-Squared said:

Does Nike not want their swoosh lost in the striping? There is literally no other reason to keep the Steelers striping like it is. Right up there with retail 9ers jerseys mimicking the adjusted stripes, which makes no sense in its own right.

It irks me to the core as a Steelers fan how the striping is cut off for the Swoosh. They could easily put the Swoosh inside the striping with little issue. Iowa and Ohio State don't have this issue because the Swoosh is on the upper left chest plate.

But back to the Lions, I never had a problem with their striping - in fact I liked it. Their new striping is standard Northwestern (ignoring the wordmark of course), and while there's nothing wrong with that, I kind of liked the unique look of the five-stripe sleeve. Oh well, it's not that big of a deal.

NSFCvyu.png

6 hours ago, DNAsports said:

How can people complain about how bad the Lions sleeve stripes are when the Steelers basically have the same thing and nothing is said?

If this was a thread about the Steelers, then people may be saying it.  It's like saying in a Joe Mixon thread that you can't complain about him punching that girl because nobody is complaining about someone totally unrelated to the story that also punched a girl.  There are plenty of people that have issue with the Steelers and other teams with similar striping problems.

2 hours ago, scraw28 said:

Iowa is no problem 

20160510000748_ci_iowa_p_2_jpg.jpg

That's your opinion, but it's not mine.  That's a big problem.  So big that they (and pretty much every other team that is a heavy user of sleeve striping) should totally rethink how they want their uniform to look.  Whether it's having the stripes run vertical, changing them to shoulder hoops (that actually go most of the way around, like Carolina's), or just doing away with it altogether.  The half-stripe look is a bad one.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived