gek_6

Lions New Logo and Uniforms 2017

809 posts in this topic

On 5/25/2017 at 3:58 PM, McCarthy said:

I'm with you. I really don't get why they didn't insert white in between the stripes. 

Nike is always doing things like that. Either their new uniforms are unbelievably terrible (Bucs, Browns, Jags) or they're pretty good and on the road to perfect, but with one or two inexplicable decisions that makes you go "ooo almost had it" (Vikings, Lions, Dolphins). Since taking over for the NFL they haven't unrolled a new look that I'd give an A. A few F's, D's, and then A-'s and B+'s.

What I really notice is that the outline on the logo looks fine when the logo is large in scale, by itself, but when you see it in a photo or from any distance (the prime viewing platforms), the outline just makes the edges of the logo look fuzzy or blurry compared to everything else. It’s true that it “matches” the stripes in that it has two outlines, but the difference in scale of the outlines on the logo vs. the stripes ruins any semblance of harmony there.

The funny thing is, people usually justify adding outlines by saying that it makes the logo/number/graphic “pop.” Sometimes, it’s true, but often, it’s the opposite, especially when working at a small relative scale. A solid blue lion with no outlines would have looked so much more bold and crisp here.

On 5/25/2017 at 4:34 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

I like the font, too, which I'm kind of surprised by.  I usual despise italicized fonts, on most sports uniforms, but especially in football.  I don't know why this one works for me.

I do as well. The numbers are unique and well done, and they feel to me like they’ll age well.

The wordmarks, on the other hand, are a different story; one of the clumsiest-looking pieces of type in professional sports.

On 5/25/2017 at 9:38 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

Me too... that's been happening to me since I first saw this uniform.  If I hadn't been told the numbers were silver trimmed in dark gray, there's no way I wouldn't just assume they're white trimmed in silver.

It does have that illusion. I think it would have been even better to use a chrome trim on the numbers to coordinate with that face mask. The darker grey color doesn’t really show up anywhere else.

3 people like this

3 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

It does have that illusion. I think it would have been even better to use a chrome trim on the numbers to coordinate with that face mask. The darker grey color doesn’t really show up anywhere else.

That's the strangest part. They've supposedly added a new color to their pallet but, on their primaries, it only appears as a thin trim around the numbers. It isn't a big leap to assume it was only added as an excuse to have that dark grey (and fairly ugly) color rush outfit.

If they were so set on having a second outline around the logo, that dark grey would've been a better choice over blue. It wouldn't jump out as much and would add another dark grey element.

2 people like this

the dark gray could show up in apparel. id love to see them replace a lot of black options with the dark gray. would really make their stuff stand out, but not sure if Nike would/could go for it

Just now, BrandMooreArt said:

the dark gray could show up in apparel. id love to see them replace a lot of black options with the dark gray. would really make their stuff stand out, but not sure if Nike would/could go for it

Sarcasm?  Seems like Nike is willing to sell dark gray anything for anybody at a moment's notice.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

Sarcasm?  Seems like Nike is willing to sell dark gray anything for anybody at a moment's notice.

If I'm not mistaken, I think he means that Nike is possibly required to sell at least some black merchandise regardless of the team's color palette.

1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

If I'm not mistaken, I think he means that Nike is possibly required to sell at least some black merchandise regardless of the team's color palette.

Even if that's true (as it looks like teams that use navy don't have a lot of black Nike stuff), Nike could make both black and dark gray items.  It's not one or the other.

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

What I really notice is that the outline on the logo looks fine when the logo is large in scale, by itself, but when you see it in a photo or from any distance (the prime viewing platforms), the outline just makes the edges of the logo look fuzzy or blurry compared to everything else. It’s true that it “matches” the stripes in that it has two outlines, but the difference in scale of the outlines on the logo vs. the stripes ruins any semblance of harmony there.

The funny thing is, people usually justify adding outlines by saying that it makes the logo/number/graphic “pop.” Sometimes, it’s true, but often, it’s the opposite, especially when working at a small relative scale. A solid blue lion with no outlines would have looked so much more bold and crisp here.

I would've used a single white outline on both the logo and the helmet/pants stripes. And a blue face mask. 

2 people like this

49 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Even if that's true (as it looks like teams that use navy don't have a lot of black Nike stuff), Nike could make both black and dark gray items.  It's not one or the other.

of course they will have options, but if i were NFL Apparel Czar, i'd say replace all the black Nike and New Era apparel with dark gray. so much of what those two provide are templates— they just switch out a logo. every team has anthracite apparel or black, but i'd love to see a team have their own unique color and ditch the other neutral options. Dark Steel Gray seems like it would work well, but the possible issue i see is that it would only be done for one team and i don't know what kind of production issues would come with that. 

just imagine this being steel gray instead. you take a template design on a neutral color, that isn't even in their identity, and make it a unique Lions piece 

Screen Shot 2017-05-27 at 12.02.15 PM.png

2 people like this

On 5/3/2017 at 8:54 AM, BrianLion said:

d505a42d22db5deede9b0cc8be11ca73.jpg

I would prefer this helmet striping over what they went with.  Facemask color too.

2 people like this