Lions New Logo and Uniforms 2017

gek_6

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, BrandMooreArt said:

the dark gray could show up in apparel. id love to see them replace a lot of black options with the dark gray. would really make their stuff stand out, but not sure if Nike would/could go for it

Sarcasm?  Seems like Nike is willing to sell dark gray anything for anybody at a moment's notice.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

Sarcasm?  Seems like Nike is willing to sell dark gray anything for anybody at a moment's notice.

If I'm not mistaken, I think he means that Nike is possibly required to sell at least some black merchandise regardless of the team's color palette.

1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

If I'm not mistaken, I think he means that Nike is possibly required to sell at least some black merchandise regardless of the team's color palette.

Even if that's true (as it looks like teams that use navy don't have a lot of black Nike stuff), Nike could make both black and dark gray items.  It's not one or the other.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

6 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

What I really notice is that the outline on the logo looks fine when the logo is large in scale, by itself, but when you see it in a photo or from any distance (the prime viewing platforms), the outline just makes the edges of the logo look fuzzy or blurry compared to everything else. It’s true that it “matches” the stripes in that it has two outlines, but the difference in scale of the outlines on the logo vs. the stripes ruins any semblance of harmony there.

The funny thing is, people usually justify adding outlines by saying that it makes the logo/number/graphic “pop.” Sometimes, it’s true, but often, it’s the opposite, especially when working at a small relative scale. A solid blue lion with no outlines would have looked so much more bold and crisp here.

I would've used a single white outline on both the logo and the helmet/pants stripes. And a blue face mask. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

49 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Even if that's true (as it looks like teams that use navy don't have a lot of black Nike stuff), Nike could make both black and dark gray items.  It's not one or the other.

of course they will have options, but if i were NFL Apparel Czar, i'd say replace all the black Nike and New Era apparel with dark gray. so much of what those two provide are templates— they just switch out a logo. every team has anthracite apparel or black, but i'd love to see a team have their own unique color and ditch the other neutral options. Dark Steel Gray seems like it would work well, but the possible issue i see is that it would only be done for one team and i don't know what kind of production issues would come with that. 

just imagine this being steel gray instead. you take a template design on a neutral color, that isn't even in their identity, and make it a unique Lions piece 

Screen Shot 2017-05-27 at 12.02.15 PM.png

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, WavePunter said:

Every time I see them, I hate William Ford and the Ford family more and more..

You can't be serious. Nothing about the former set was worth saving. This is tremendous upgrade, even with the dumb little details here and there. 

Midway.png

9 hours ago, Midway said:

You can't be serious. Nothing about the former set was worth saving. This is tremendous upgrade, even with the dumb little details here and there. 

I don't think the word "tremendous" can be used to accurately describe any part of the new uniform (except how tremendously stupid and ridiculous the WCF logo on the sleeve stripe is)..

For a non-lions fan, the previous set wasn't horrible.. It actually tastefully incorporated the black that was crudely forced into the identity in the early 2000's, and was a couple tweaks away from being a pretty solid modern look.. 

For the Lions purists, I understand the desire to stick to only blue and silver as much as possible, and with the age and tenure of the franchise, I certainly agree that a more traditional look is most appropriate, but the previous set wasn't bad - it just wasn't great..

And honestly, I don't know that I'd call the new set much of an upgrade at all.. The way white is limited, but not excluded is awkward.. The random and minimal inclusion of the dark gray is awkward.. The silver helmet/silver mask combo is very non-lions imo, and forces too much of the visual responsibility to the logo and stripes, which don't exactly match, so that's awkward.. The asymmetrical sleeve striping is awkward in and of itself, and to top it all off, the absolutely horrible WCF logo is awkwardly included into the uniform's striping pattern instead of a tasteful patch or decal, and consists of a horizontal set of initials running within the stripe, on top of two vertical stripes that awkwardly cross the sleeve stripes - and they don't even cross in a sensible way - they awkwardly end in a Browns-chest-stripe manner that is rather distracting..

I really like the general direction of this set, but the finer details of it leave it feeling.. Well, a bit awkward..

52 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

And honestly, I don't know that I'd call the new set much of an upgrade at all.. The way white is limited, but not excluded is awkward.. The random and minimal inclusion of the dark gray is awkward.. The silver helmet/silver mask combo is very non-lions imo, and forces too much of the visual responsibility to the logo and stripes, which don't exactly match, so that's awkward.. The asymmetrical sleeve striping is awkward in and of itself, and to top it all off, the absolutely horrible WCF logo is awkwardly included into the uniform's striping pattern instead of a tasteful patch or decal, and consists of a horizontal set of initials running within the stripe, on top of two vertical stripes that awkwardly cross the sleeve stripes - and they don't even cross in a sensible way - they awkwardly end in a Browns-chest-stripe manner that is rather distracting..

I really like the general direction of this set, but the finer details of it leave it feeling.. Well, a bit awkward..

Awkward

Archived