Worst Throwback Uniform Match-ups

kimball

One (of my many) uniform pet-peeves is match-ups involving mixed throwback uniforms -- or even worse -- a throwback vs. current era match-up.

I love that baseball is more apt to get both teams in era-appropriate throwbacks -- and to some extent the NFL in 1994 (NFL 75th) and 2009 (AFL 50th) seasons. But, the NFL and NBA have had some horrible mix-matched match-ups. 

I thought it would fun to find some of the worst ...

Pittsburgh-Steelers-Byron-Leftwich-sacke

usp-nfl_-carolina-panthers-at-washington

ca8c3d59b37ce0ecfba2dc98ba03cd4d.jpg

9226445.jpg

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

2 minutes ago, Gobbi said:
7 minutes ago, BrianLion said:

Jets-Titans-Jersey-Nick-Laham.jpg

The Jets wouldn't look good in that uniform no matter what their opponent was wearing.

I was just about to comment about how good that looks regardless of the mismatched era of the opponents' uniforms.  I particularly love the texture on that number.

Though there's no good reason that the shoulder stripes cannot continue all the way down into the armpit.

Image result for new york titans afl

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 minute ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I was just about to comment about how good that looks regardless of the mismatched era of the opponents' uniforms.  I particularly love the texture on that number.

Though there's no good reason that the shoulder stripes cannot continue all the way down into the armpit.

Image result for new york titans afl

The numbers look nice, but they're a different shade from the pants and, yeah, making the stripes go all the way around would help matters - but the uniform isn't the Jets' color, and the logo-less helmet is boring. 

Still looks better than the Packers' throwbacks, though. (Winces and braces for a beating.)

1 minute ago, insert name said:

Here's an ugly one. 

broncos-throwback.jpg

Funny, I'd prefer those Broncos uniforms to the New York Titans ones. I liked the simple two colour look and the vertical striped socks added a unique charm to turn a simple uniform into something out of the ordinary. Different Strokes I guess... 

2 minutes ago, Gobbi said:

Funny, I'd prefer those Broncos uniforms to the New York Titans ones. I liked the simple two colour look and the vertical striped socks added a unique charm to turn a simple uniform into something out of the ordinary. Different Strokes I guess... 

Guess who didn't like them the first time around? The players, the coaches, the fans, the league...take your pick.

Those throwback games they had back in 94 and 2009 were fun even if some of the uniforms were on the ugly side. This is why I hate the one helmet rule because it potentially takes away from doing something like that again for the 100th anniversary.

XM4KeeA.png

Archived