Worst Throwback Uniform Match-ups

kimball

When the Kings first began their Legends Night promotion in 2010-11, the match-ups were...strange. The more recent ones have been better: Detroit, Toronto, Boston. Here are some of the worst ones.

2011 vs Minnesota

2010-11 vs Wild.jpg

2011 vs Anaheim

2010-11 vs Ducks.jpg

2011 vs Dallas

2011-12 vs Stars.jpg

2012/13 vs Colorado (This happened twice!)

2011-12 vs Avalanche.jpg 

2015 vs Pittsburgh (This one's not terrible, more meh.)

2014-15 vs Penguins.jpg

2016 vs Arizona

2015-16 vs Coyotes.jpg

Oh but there's more! Since 2012, the Flames have played against the Kings' forum blue set (twice) and gold set once!

2011-12 vs Flames.jpg

2015-16 vs Flames.jpg

Similarly, the Oilers met the Kings' forum blue set twice. The first one may have been the worst match-up mostly because of that Oilers Edge set. The second match-up was lightyears better.

2010-11 vs Oilers.jpg

2013 vs Oilers.jpg

And to finish the divisional trifecta, the Kings and the Canucks from last year. Again, not too weird other than the vintage and modern logos.

2015-16 vs Canucks.jpg

10 hours ago, dont care said:

Except the celtics are wearing the same uniform they wore for 60 years, if anything that is an accurate throwback game

With the Lakers in home uniform, at the Garden? No. I think it's a bad looking match-up. LA vs. Boston is yellow against green, and white against purple. 

18 minutes ago, prof said:

With the Lakers in home uniform, at the Garden? No. I think it's a bad looking match-up. LA vs. Boston is yellow against green, and white against purple. 

Reagardless it's still 2 classic uniforms playing against each other 

7 hours ago, dont care said:

Reagardless it's still 2 classic uniforms playing against each other 

It's not the uniforms themselves that are questionable, it's the matchup.  Lakers-Celtics is a classic rivalry, some might argue the most THE most classic rivalry in NBA history.  If you're going to do a BOS-LAL throwback game, then that's one that you should probably do right, or not do at all.  The Lakers wearing yellow jerseys at Boston is practically an "anti-throwback."  It's the opposite of history, and completely goes against the tradition of this rivalry.  That's why some might argue it's a bad from a throwback perspective (not necessarily an aesthetic perspective, which is a separate debate).  

On top of that though, if you want to get into the uniforms themselves... if I'm not mistaken, those Lakers throwbacks had some major accuracy issues, up to and including obvious things like NOB fonts.  Which could be an argument that it's a horrible matchup, to botch something as NBA-sacred as the first uniforms the LA Lakers won a championship in.

To build on my previous post... it has always irked me when teams wear road throwbacks at home.  I think this started bothering me the most when the Blue Jays started wearing their light blue road throwbacks (with the light blue pants) at home on a regular basis, around 2008 I think.  It just looks really wrong to me.  I'd rather see a home team wear its current home jersey than a throwback road jersey.  I like throwback games, but if you're going to do it, try to make it as accurate as you can.  Otherwise it seems kind of pointless to me (other than obviously being a money grab for the team).

I would even go so far as to say that it feels like at least half the time teams wear a throwback at home, it's the road throwback.  I think this is especially true in the NBA.  Why do they do that?  Do teams think their road throwbacks would sell better than their home throwbacks, so they want to advertise them more?  

40 minutes ago, SCalderwood said:

To build on my previous post... it has always irked me when teams wear road throwbacks at home.  I think this started bothering me the most when the Blue Jays started wearing their light blue road throwbacks (with the light blue pants) at home on a regular basis, around 2008 I think.  It just looks really wrong to me.  I'd rather see a home team wear its current home jersey than a throwback road jersey.  I like throwback games, but if you're going to do it, try to make it as accurate as you can.  Otherwise it seems kind of pointless to me (other than obviously being a money grab for the team).

I would even go so far as to say that it feels like at least half the time teams wear a throwback at home, it's the road throwback.  I think this is especially true in the NBA.  Why do they do that?  Do teams think their road throwbacks would sell better than their home throwbacks, so they want to advertise them more?  

because fans would rather want to wear team colors rather than white. I've hardly ever seen a fan wear a teams white jersey especially for the NBA the vast majority wear the road or alternates. same thinking goes into buying retro jerseys 

1 hour ago, insert name said:

When the sabers wore throwback tops that didn't match with anything else they were wearing.

The same for Oilers when they played on Heritage Classic in 2003:

620-heritage-thumb-620xauto-337379.jpg

And St. Louis Blues v Los Angeles Kings also from 2003/2004 season:

2777862.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=3&d=77BFBA4

Robitaille.jpg

4r2eer.png

• 3 weeks later...

I can't find a picture, but the Jets wearing their Titans throwbacks against Tennessee in their modern jerseys (or in Oilers throwbacks) is never good. It doesn't look great, and last time it happened that I caught the game on TV the announcers thought it was hilarious to refer to both teams as the Titans and made me sad.

Archived