The future of the NFL

neo_prankster

Even with the Super Bowl in progress as of this post, I personally still have questions about the future of the NFL.

How much longer can Goodell remain as commissioner before he is forced out for good?

When Goddell leaves office, what can the league do to regain credibility?

How will talent be evaluated should the talent pool dwindle in the next 10-15 years?

He'd pretty much have to endorse child sacrifice to get thrown out. I think if screwing up how to get two teams in LA doesn't hurt him, lying to players about concussion risks and the dragging out of Brady's suspension for 2 years doesn't,  he's going to be there a good while longer.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Ratings don't matter if they're checks don't bounce. If they drop too much, they'll be concerned but it's more important they have a positive off season from player and front office conduct. There needs to be some changes to scheduling and I wouldn't be surprised to see double byes come back to "fix" Thursday night football. Not this season but maybe in 2018

7 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

A whole lot longer than one single bad year, after a pretty good decade of increases.  

Okay, so with the possibility of a TV ratings bounce back, is there anything they can do to make the game more attractive to future generations in order to reach their goal of $25 Billion in the next ten years?

46 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

How much further do the TV ratings have to drop before the owners get around to voting for a new commish?

I'm sure they have an expectation for how much higher the next TV deal will be than this one.  Maybe they expect it to be 25% higher.  

If it's not?  Then they'll consider getting rid of him.  Not a minute before.  His fate is basically in the networks' and other partners' hands.  

There's a lot of things that suck about the league.  Hell - including the SB, I watched maybe 6 or 7 total games all season - but it takes years, if not a generation for these things to have a noticeable impact to the machine.  I doubt the owners have the foresight to see what's coming 10 years from now and be proactive about it.  All they see is the dollars coming in right this second.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If the Cowboys & Raiders take charge for real next season, tv ratings should be fine.  Cliche gonna cliche, meh.

TNF will probably be gone by 2020 or whenever the next CBA/TV deal whatever is ironed out.  I could see more Saturday Dec games as we deserve them like we used to have.  

Besides, tv isn't even tv as we knew it 5yrs ago let alone 25yrs ago.  I also think ratings for NFL Network & the like will decline, while games & social media buzz will be fine.  Ppl are sick of 12 months of NFL, & yet it's so easy to not tune in/click on/etc between now & August.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

14 minutes ago, 2001mark said:

TNF will probably be gone by 2020 or whenever the next CBA/TV deal whatever is ironed out.  I could see more Saturday Dec games as we deserve them like we used to have.  

I think we will probably start seeing more international games replace TNF rather than Saturday games. I will be interested to see how the streaming trend changes the league in the coming years.

1 hour ago, 2001mark said:

If the Cowboys & Raiders take charge for real next season, tv ratings should be fine.  Cliche gonna cliche, meh.

Besides, tv isn't even tv as we knew it 5yrs ago let alone 25yrs ago.  I also think ratings for NFL Network & the like will decline, while games & social media buzz will be fine.  Ppl are sick of 12 months of NFL, & yet it's so easy to not tune in/click on/etc between now & August.

I watched the Super Bowl online. What was strange, was no non-Fox commercials were on. Instead, it was just the Fox Sports logo. How they made money off my viewership, I don't know.

But, TNF is probably gone (players hate it). Thanksgiving and the season opener are saved. The Saturday afternoon December games never should've left. But, instead of only 2 (or 3, with the night game), it should be half the schedule on each day (or at least a primary and secondary in each early slot).

2 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

I watched the Super Bowl online. What was strange, was no non-Fox commercials were on. Instead, it was just the Fox Sports logo. How they made money off my viewership, I don't know.

But, TNF is probably gone (players hate it). Thanksgiving and the season opener are saved. The Saturday afternoon December games never should've left. But, instead of only 2 (or 3, with the night game), it should be half the schedule on each day (or at least a primary and secondary in each early slot).

I think prime time Saturday games late in the season would be awesome.  Usually I think we've had them 12:30 starts or whatever historically yes?  I could be waayyy off.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

The AFC needs someone else to step up.

Brady isn't exactly a spring chicken, Big Ben's getting up there, Flacco/Luck are in a midair career staal, Rivers is getting older.

Probably the next great AFC QB whom I thought had a chance to crash the AFC party this year got hurt.

I mean, compared to the NFC parity- where I could see Dallas/Detroit/Arizona breaking through next year- the AFC has had the same QB's dominating forever.

And one of them- Peyton- is gone. The others won't play forever ala Blanda/Favre.

Because when other great QB's retired in different eras, others stepped up.

6 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Okay, so with the possibility of a TV ratings bounce back, is there anything they can do to make the game more attractive to future generations in order to reach their goal of $25 Billion in the next ten years?

If the ratings bounce back, then they are on pace to meet that goal. 

You're asserting as fact a lot of unsupported opinions, like the notion that the game will not be "attractive to future generations".

Re: TNF gone?

Where will the players recover that quarter billion in salary? 

Re: The NFL suxx and is dying

Many of us disagree, but aren't inclined to wave our flags, feeling we don't need to be visible. We just follow it, both at home and in the stands.

It's where I sit.

22 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Burn Color Rush.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived