• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a vacuum, I'd pick F.

Given the team's current identity, and considering this an evolution of the current brand, G is the right choice, but with a white wordmark as @joob suggested.

alternatively, would there be a way to tastefully blend a dreamcatcher style shape instead of a shield? as it stands, it reminds me too much of a guitar pick, like the nashville predators alternate logo. perhaps a subtle dreamcatcher frame around your fantastic bison head would be a good way to tie it all home even more.

On 2/9/2017 at 10:09 AM, HRC4 said:

Gold: E

Silver: F

Bronze: D (I might've liked this one the best if it didn't remind me of Denver so much)

On 2/9/2017 at 11:25 AM, Hoopladawg87 said:

I'm not thrilled by any of the black-based color schemes for A, D, E, and F.

My issue with A and D seems to be that the blue and yellow compete too hard with the black to fit well together. When I think of black-based color schemes I consider to be very good - the Bulls, Heat, Nets, Spurs, and Trailblazers, to name a few - one common denominator is that each incorporates just a single non-neutral color (with the exception of the Heat's fitting touch of yellow). While I can appreciate the uniqueness, I don't think this is the best option.

As much as I like the simplicity of E in regards to what I just mentioned about A and D, I think I associate black and yellow too much with Pittsburgh professional sports teams to realistically consider it. That's not to say it doesn't look good or potentially fit with what would be their new identity -- more than anything, it's probably just my own personal roadblock.

F, and most every color scheme incorporating black and orange, screams Halloween to me for whatever reason. Also, I'm not sure how the addition of cream fits into this color scheme.

I'm neutral on C and perplexed by the Phoenix Suns-ish color scheme of H, but both look good enough.

That leaves both B and G, both of which I really like. Maybe I'm just conditioned to associate the Thunder with that light blue/navy blue/orange/yellow color scheme, but it's unique and balances well together. The navy blue/orange/cream also has similar qualities or uniqueness and balance, while also retaining some semblance of their current color scheme. To me, both of these are more than viable options -- nicely done.

On 2/9/2017 at 11:30 AM, 8BW14 said:

I'm drawn to the color combos with the white or cream colored buffalo, not only because it contrasts the backdrop of the logo the best, but also because of the spiritual significance of a white bison to the plains Indian tribes.

That being said, I think B is my favorite. I might add a dark gray too, to use as an outline, maybe, and for the nose. I like the black and orange combo too.

On 2/9/2017 at 2:01 PM, bucknut42 said:

I'm a huge fan of b. It's the best option as far as colors and all that. Kinda plays off their current scheme but it's not the same. Hands down my favorite. 

On 2/9/2017 at 3:18 PM, FlyingLamprey said:

I'm a big fan of cream or off-white, so B, F, and H all look great in my books!  It especially helps that the shade of cream that you chose matches very well with the shade of orange.  My only concerns are that B uses navy (which I know you're trying to avoid, and rightfully so), F reminds me too much of Oklahoma State (don't know if you want that similarity), and the purple on H isn't quite speaking to me (plus, that's a little too close to what the Suns use currently).  I'd put my top 4 at B, F, E, and H, although truthfully most of these would actually work.  Great work as always, though!

On 2/9/2017 at 4:24 PM, joob said:

I'd say B or G.

For B, I really like the thunder coming out the bottom of the T and R, but the T sort of looks like a J.

For G, I think the text should be white. At least at this size, the dark text looks unnoticeable. 

Great concepts so far!

On 2/9/2017 at 5:33 PM, Zeus89725 said:

I love these! My color choices would be D, E, or G. G draws my eye to it the most and stands out with color behind it, but the other two work really well on white.

Keep it up!

On 2/9/2017 at 7:48 PM, THEANGEL&THEGAMBLER said:

G. seams like the most natural evolution from the thunders current brand

On 2/10/2017 at 1:49 PM, Whittier S said:

My eye is most drawn to E and G.

On 2/10/2017 at 8:37 PM, ramsjetsthunder said:

B or G

On 2/11/2017 at 1:15 AM, ColeJ said:

In a vacuum, I'd pick F.

Given the team's current identity, and considering this an evolution of the current brand, G is the right choice, but with a white wordmark as @joob suggested.

alternatively, would there be a way to tastefully blend a dreamcatcher style shape instead of a shield? as it stands, it reminds me too much of a guitar pick, like the nashville predators alternate logo. perhaps a subtle dreamcatcher frame around your fantastic bison head would be a good way to tie it all home even more.

I'm trying a few round shapes to adjust it. The problem is with the space to the outside of the lightning, it becomes empty and distracting. I'll keep working at it though.

On 2/12/2017 at 6:01 AM, wences said:

The G is the best!

Here are the top three colors (In order). Try to choose 1 out of them.

BoardC2a.png

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

1 hour ago, bucknut42 said:

B. Hands down the best option. I get that A is their color scheme now, but with a buffalo as the logo the colors don't quite look right. The cream and navy combo looks much better, IMO, so that's my favorite.

1 hour ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

Right now, overall, I prefer A then B then C; however, like @bucknut42 said, I think the color scheme for B looks the best. The navy border around A makes it look much better next to B and C, so the simple addition of something like that to B would make it easily your best option yet.

I updated B & C to add borders.

BoardC2b.png

1 hour ago, 8BW14 said:

Also, I'm not a fan of the neon? yellow you switched to on A and C.

I switched out the mustard yellow for 3 reasons:

1. It sets it apart from the gold/mustards of the sports scene.
  2. It gives a kind of "caution/warning/danger" look.
  3. It sets the different parts of the logo apart from each other whether the logo is large or small.

It seems like A is prevailing. But before we throw the towel in on the others lets check one more thing. I played with combining B & C and I'm intrigued with the results. I put them and A into GIFs the see their different configurations.

A

GIF1.gif

B

GIF2.gif

The more I look at the lightning bolts extending from the 'T' and 'R' in THUNDER, the more I think they're unnecessarily redundant with the actual lightning bolts below. I think something like that would be best utilized as a separate wordmark of some sort.

Seeing everything together, I'm changing my answer -- I think version A on the light blue background with the navy border is the overall best.

I'm going to cast a losing vote for C, still. All color combos are completely unique for the NBA, but I've never been a huge fan of OKC's color choice. That being said, despite me not caring for the color combo, I really like what you've done with the logo (as usual).

XcryMwi.png

Archived