Detroit Lions Concept

HRC4

I know I didn't do much to put together this concept, but it's my hope that the Lions keep it pretty simple rather than going full Buccaneer on us (you never go full Buccaneer). The main thing that I hope changes is that they wear Honolulu Blue pants on the road, and I took my best stab at what the numbers (well, the number 9) will look like. Oh, and I really don't like that they are phasing out black. There's not a large enough difference IMO between the shades of blue and silver that they use.

Home

Xx5bR6U.jpg

Color Rush

oXNGC5V.jpg

XcryMwi.png

On 2/8/2017 at 1:44 PM, HRC4 said:

I know I didn't do much to put together this concept, but it's my hope that the Lions keep it pretty simple rather than going full Buccaneer on us (you never go full Buccaneer). The main thing that I hope changes is that they wear Honolulu Blue pants on the road, and I took my best stab at what the numbers (well, the number 9) will look like. Oh, and I really don't like that they are phasing out black. There's not a large enough difference IMO between the shades of blue and silver that they use.

Home

Xx5bR6U.jpg

Away

L3uyQUO.jpg

Color Rush

oXNGC5V.jpg

Pretty much perfect.  I've always loved the silver / white / silver look on the road but I don't mind the blue road pants.  Great job.

10 hours ago, panthers_2012 said:

I really like this but one question. Is there suppose to be a word mark on the away jersey?  It's on the other two but not that one. 

Ha. Whoops. Technically it's there, but it's white on white so it's not showing up. Thanks for the heads up.

XcryMwi.png

I don't know if this is right but I don't think the numbers are equally weighted. The horizontal parts look thicker than the vertical parts, and it just makes the number looked weird. Also, the italicized numbers make the whole set a little too collegiate and it really kind of brings down the whole jersey. And the Agency FB (that's what I have it downloaded as on my computer) NOB font is often very overused and it looks like you stretched it out. Maybe condense it a little or go with a different font and flip the outline and the letter color on the color rush set, and overall I think you have a very well made concept. Keep it up, very good job overall. Excited to see more!

3 minutes ago, Htown1141 said:

I don't know if this is right but I don't think the numbers are equally weighted. The horizontal parts look thicker than the vertical parts, and it just makes the number looked weird. Also, the italicized numbers make the whole set a little too collegiate and it really kind of brings down the whole jersey. And the Agency FB (that's what I have it downloaded as on my computer) NOB font is often very overused and it looks like you stretched it out. Maybe condense it a little or go with a different font and flip the outline and the letter color on the color rush set, and overall I think you have a very well made concept. Keep it up, very good job overall. Excited to see more!

I used the O from the LIONS font to create the 9 rather than an existing font. It's likely that when I was stretching and placing the number on the jersey that the proportions of the jersey got all out of whack. I'm putting some finishing touches on creating all of the numbers and will mess around with the italicized vs straight vertical. I can't disagree that italics makes it look college-y, but was trying to match the theme of the font. Stay tuned. I should be able to adjust that.

XcryMwi.png

Original numbers created using the I and the O from the new LIONS font (the 1 still seems out of place to me, but I don't know what to do with it)

9WDACo2.png

Got rid of the italics simply using transform (don't look too closely at the numbers as the edges are pretty jagged because of this)

3pKtMjC.png

The numbers still seemed a little thick to me, so I did an inner stroke to thin them up a little

lSySY5L.png

And now that I have them created, they are much too wide to fit multiple numbers on a jersey, so I will have to mess around with them a little bit more to fix that.

Thanks so far for all of the kind words and constructive criticism. Keep em coming.

XcryMwi.png

The traditional (albeit truncated) sleeve stripes clash with the contemporary number font.

A better approach for sleeves would be a Patriots / Texans style tapered shoulder stripe.  Kinda like Panthers but more tapered.

NOB should be a plain font vs one that clashes with the number.  Actually I'd re-work that number altogether.  I get that you're trying to match the new wordmark but maybe you could go with something less "italicy".

Also skeptical of the blue pants.  Need to see what socks go with them, but other than white with blue/silver stripes, I can't see any others looking OK.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

6 minutes ago, Dan O'Mac said:

With your numbers, I don't like the 1. It doesn't seem like it belongs with the others.

I'm right there with you (even stating so in the original post). Any ideas on what you would do to fix it? I tried adding the serifs to the 7 to match or removing the serifs and I'm just looking at a simple rectangle. Adding the curves from the other numbers didn't fit either. I stared at/worked on changing that number more than the rest of them put together and I just kept coming back to what I got.

XcryMwi.png

16 hours ago, Dan O'Mac said:

With the way the number font is designed, I feel you'll almost need that 11 to end up like that. Only thing I can think of is using the right side of the 4, and add that serif that is on the end for the 2/3/5/6/7/9

I will give this a try when I try to further thin out the numbers and put them in the correct proportions for jerseys. Thanks

XcryMwi.png

Spent a little bit more time on the numbers while still trying to somewhat follow the structure of the font (since they did that with their last uniform update).

Updates:
* Thinned out the numbers

* Corrected the proportions to match that of what would go on a jersey (they were too wide for their height previously)

* Created a 1 that is more in line with the rest of the numbers (I tried adding the serif to other numbers and it looked awful - it looked similar to Minnesota Vikings' terrible number font)

No border

VZxaPiS.png

Double border (a la cowboys and someone else had this idea on their concept thread - I couldn't refind it to post this)

Aw4t99F.png

Slightly italicized (though not near as drastic as DETROIT LIONS from their leaked logo)

uUpjAnI.png

I might still mess with the uniform too

XcryMwi.png

Archived