2017 MLB Season

Norva

I remember several years ago when Uncle Bud proposed a radical realignment where the AL was basically the western division and the NL was the eastern division or the other way around. The AL west would have been Seattle, Arizona, and the 5 California clubs. Or maybe it was the NL. It was shot down so fast I forgot the specifics of which league was where.

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yanks apparently just got Todd Frazier, David Robertson and Tommy Kahnle for a package of "low level but well-regarded" players, including Blake Rutherford.

Can a team as bad as the ChiSox have a GM who wins Executive of the Year?

On 7/17/2017 at 3:15 PM, smzimbabwe said:

I remember several years ago when Uncle Bud proposed a radical realignment where the AL was basically the western division and the NL was the eastern division or the other way around. The AL west would have been Seattle, Arizona, and the 5 California clubs. Or maybe it was the NL. It was shot down so fast I forgot the specifics of which league was where.

That was years ago. Back when they were deciding what to do with Tampa Bay and Arizona joining.

I believe the AL was going to be the East, and NL was the west. (source: http://www.nytimes.com/1997/11/06/sports/baseball-brewers-cleared-to-shift-to-nl-central-in-98.html )

Rough idea of what things would've looked like in a 6-division MLB:

NL Pacific

San Diego

Los Angeles

San Francisco

Seattle

Arizona

NL West

Oakland

Anaheim

Colorado

Texas

Houston

NL Central

Kansas City

St. Louis

Minnesota

Milwaukee

Chicago Cubs

AL Central

Chicago White Sox

Detroit

Cleveland

Cincinnati

Pittsburgh

AL South

Atlanta

Tampa Bay

Florida

Baltimore

Philadelphia

AL North

Toronto

Montreal

Boston

New York Yankees

New York Mets

Something along those lines. It would've introduced year-long interleague games, which at the time MLB was against. Kansas City was in favor of it, but many were against it. Of course, the big 'dual markets' hated it to some extent, while others were in favor. I think the Yankees were in favor of getting the Mets as a division opponent with the Red Sox.

San Francisco was completely against it. I think the Dodgers were against it. It would've affected the southwest and Texas teams a bit as the California teams wouldn't have been happy and that would've positioned Seattle oddly.

The midwest would've been split right between the two leagues that would've seen the Cubs and White Sox (in one scenario) being in separate leagues (which make historical sense as Cubs would get St. Louis, while the White Sox would get rivalries with Detroit and to an extent Cleveland). I think the triangle of Cincinnati-Cleveland-Pittsburgh would've been quite happy to all be in the same league as that would've helped bolster fan interest and competition between two markets (CLE & PIT) that generally don't like each other and has fostered, slowly from interleague ball. Being divisional opponents, for instance the past few years, would've made for a great thing.

In the end, MLB did what MLB does, claim 'tradition' and not do something they eventually do anyways later on: season-long interleague games.

Edit: Had that rough league structure been implemented, switching Montreal to the South and bumping Philadelphia to the East would've worked seamlessly. ,

Red Sox have played a combined 67 innings since coming back from the All Star Break Friday. 

Damn Brutal. Especially when you consider that includes a double header. 

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

They'll get to travel to see Raines finally get his due and then whenever Vlad goes in there will be a large Expos contingent as well. The only other former Expo that might have a case that I can think of would be Bartolo Colon, but IDK if he's really hall of fame material and his playing for Montreal was kind of a bum deal for the Expos. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

11 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

They'll get to travel to see Raines finally get his due and then whenever Vlad goes in there will be a large Expos contingent as well. The only other former Expo that might have a case that I can think of would be Bartolo Colon, but IDK if he's really hall of fame material and his playing for Montreal was kind of a bum deal for the Expos. 

I love Bartolo (who may be the only guy left older than me) but the idea of him making the Hall never occured to me.

If he did, I'd suspect he'd go in with an Indians cap and I don't think the Expos fans would be as interested in his stint there as they are in Raines or Vlad.

But I love that Bartolo's still pitching (though am nervous that it's for the Twins).  The only person left that played for the Expos, I assume.  Hell, how many even played against the Expos.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Bleep Bartolo Colon. The "has multiple families (due to infidelity) and doesn't want to pay for all of them" thing is just something I can't get past. The sooner he's out of baseball, the better.

Also, I know this is an unpopular opinion, but Vlad should get into Cooperstown as an Angel. He won his MVP in Anaheim, had a bunch of accolades/peaked there, and nobody in the Hall of Fame has an Angels plaque (although Nolan Ryan and maybe Rod Carew should).

1 hour ago, The Six said:

Sergio Romo, who I completely forgot was on the Dodgers, has been DFA'd. I don't think he'll be joining Pablo on the Redemption Tour in SF.

He might rejoin the bullpen, should Strickland be sent to Tampa in exchange for prospects and a certain guy with Achilles problems and a big orange cat. ;)

On 7/19/2017 at 0:25 AM, Sykotyk said:

That was years ago. Back when they were deciding what to do with Tampa Bay and Arizona joining.

I believe the AL was going to be the East, and NL was the west. (source: http://www.nytimes.com/1997/11/06/sports/baseball-brewers-cleared-to-shift-to-nl-central-in-98.html )

Rough idea of what things would've looked like in a 6-division MLB:

NL Pacific

San Diego

Los Angeles

San Francisco

Seattle

Arizona

NL West

Oakland

Anaheim

Colorado

Texas

Houston

NL Central

Kansas City

St. Louis

Minnesota

Milwaukee

Chicago Cubs

AL Central

Chicago White Sox

Detroit

Cleveland

Cincinnati

Pittsburgh

AL South

Atlanta

Tampa Bay

Florida

Baltimore

Philadelphia

AL North

Toronto

Montreal

Boston

New York Yankees

New York Mets

Something along those lines. It would've introduced year-long interleague games, which at the time MLB was against. Kansas City was in favor of it, but many were against it. Of course, the big 'dual markets' hated it to some extent, while others were in favor. I think the Yankees were in favor of getting the Mets as a division opponent with the Red Sox.

San Francisco was completely against it. I think the Dodgers were against it. It would've affected the southwest and Texas teams a bit as the California teams wouldn't have been happy and that would've positioned Seattle oddly.

The midwest would've been split right between the two leagues that would've seen the Cubs and White Sox (in one scenario) being in separate leagues (which make historical sense as Cubs would get St. Louis, while the White Sox would get rivalries with Detroit and to an extent Cleveland). I think the triangle of Cincinnati-Cleveland-Pittsburgh would've been quite happy to all be in the same league as that would've helped bolster fan interest and competition between two markets (CLE & PIT) that generally don't like each other and has fostered, slowly from interleague ball. Being divisional opponents, for instance the past few years, would've made for a great thing.

In the end, MLB did what MLB does, claim 'tradition' and not do something they eventually do anyways later on: season-long interleague games.

Edit: Had that rough league structure been implemented, switching Montreal to the South and bumping Philadelphia to the East would've worked seamlessly. ,

I know the Mets were against this; not sure about NY (AL), but I'm pretty sure they were against too. There was also a less radical plan presented that would've kept the Mets and Cubs in the NL and the White Sox and NY (AL) in the American League, but that failed too. Teams can't be forced to switch leagues without their permission so thankfully neither plan ever happened.

Archived