Norva

2017 MLB Season

Recommended Posts

BringBackTheVet    4,086

Darren Daulton was my very first favorite professional athlete.  I remember him struggling to get playing time, always having surgery, being buried behind Lance Parish, then eventually getting his chance and being the team leader on the '93 team and a multi-time allstar.

 

Then he got crazy and claimed to be talking to lizards.  

 

I'm rarely shaken by athlete deaths, because for the most part I couldn't care less about them, but this one is a little different.  As a little league catcher, I loved him and rooted for him more than just about any other player.  

 

Dutch was a Phillie.  I am a Phillie.  Today we are all Phillies.

 

Also, he kinda bears a resemblance to Jaime Lannister.

 

  293450-e1492624039172.jpg?w=610&h=343&cr AP890301055.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmac11281    1,070
9 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Darren Daulton was my very first favorite professional athlete.  I remember him struggling to get playing time, always having surgery, being buried behind Lance Parish, then eventually getting his chance and being the team leader on the '93 team and a multi-time allstar.

 

Then he got crazy and claimed to be talking to lizards.  

 

I'm rarely shaken by athlete deaths, because for the most part I couldn't care less about them, but this one is a little different.  As a little league catcher, I loved him and rooted for him more than just about any other player.  

 

Dutch was a Phillie.  I am a Phillie.  Today we are all Phillies.

 

Also, he kinda bears a resemblance to Jaime Lannister.

 

  293450-e1492624039172.jpg?w=610&h=343&cr AP890301055.jpg

I only caught maybe twice in my 8 year baseball "career". However, I still have the same sentiment. He was the longest tenured Phillie from the time I started watching (around 1987) to the time he was traded in 1997. He was the face of the franchise. 

 

I have sworn off local sports talk radio for the most part but I had to listen in yesterday as all of the fans and former teammates remarked on how genuine of a man he was. 

 

I have a strong allegiance to the Orioles but I have always designated the Phillies as my NL team due to them being my hometown team. I was probably shaken just as bad as you were. I knew he was really sick and that it was probably a matter of time before he passed, but I still wasn't ready for that news.

 

As you said, we are all Phillies. Philadelphia lost a great sports figure. But, on a grander platform, so did baseball. RIP, Dutch.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
crashcarson15    963

Tribe were a strike away from handing Corey Kluber his fourth loss on the season where he gave up 0 or 1 earned runs.

 

Then Austin Jackson and Yan Gomes happen. Sure.

 

Though if the Indians could just consistently score runs when Kluber throws gems, they’d have the division all but wrapped up. Kluber’s seven losses this season have come when he surrenders 2, 5, 2, 0, 1, 1 and 3 earned runs. Yet some people still believe pitcher wins/losses are the go-to stat. :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ozzyman314    15

Nunez has been absolutely ridiculous since the Red Sox picked him up. 19 for 43 with 6 doubles, 4 homers and 3 steals in 3 attempts. He's really lit a damn fire under their ass right when they needed it. 

 

Then you have Sale being Pedro Martinez 2.0 with 13 K's 1 BB and only 2 hits (1 on error). Put Kimbrel after him and it's one of the most broken Pitching lines in the league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bucfan56    3,593
HedleyLamarr    1,281
1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

The Jeter group might remove the home run sculpture from Marlins Park.

 

Unlike the removal of Tal's Hill, this is a renovation I can't get behind. The sculpture was a gaudy mess, but it was kind of endearing.

I hope Jeter and the ownership attack the real issues...like bringing teal/turquoise back to the Marlin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
the admiral    9,896

The home run sculpture is good. Bright colors are good. Don't make me say something mistaken for "bring back Jeff Loria."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tracy Jordan    32
4 hours ago, ninersdd said:

Didn't see it, but it appears Harper hurt his knee. No 2nd bout between him and Strickland then.

Reports are saying it's a hyper-extended knee. Tough break.

 

Angels came back and beat Seattle tonight for their fifth straight win. They now have 35 comeback wins on the season, most in the majors. That AL wild card race is getting tight...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
goalieboy82    373
13 hours ago, ninersdd said:

Didn't see it, but it appears Harper hurt his knee. No 2nd bout between him and Strickland then.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/20331041/bryce-harper-washington-nationals-indefinitely-no-ligament-tear-baserunning-injury

why did they play the game last night (it rain for a few hours).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HedleyLamarr    1,281
1 hour ago, goalieboy82 said:

San Francisco's only trip to Washington (they still got two games to play today) this season...this road trip is the last for the Giants in the Eastern time zone (and no remaining Pacific time zone games for the Nationals)....and only one common off day remaining, which would require the Giants to fly from San Francisco on Sunday evening, play a game (or two) in Washington on Monday, then jet out back to San Francisco for a game Tuesday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
goalieboy82    373
3 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

San Francisco's only trip to Washington (they still got two games to play today) this season...this road trip is the last for the Giants in the Eastern time zone (and no remaining Pacific time zone games for the Nationals)....and only one common off day remaining, which would require the Giants to fly from San Francisco on Sunday evening, play a game (or two) in Washington on Monday, then jet out back to San Francisco for a game Tuesday.

i understand, but the Giants are not going to make the playoffs so if they had played 2 games, the 3rd one didn't matter.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SFGiants58    1,742
13 minutes ago, goalieboy82 said:

i understand, but the Giants are not going to make the playoffs so if they had played 2 games, the 3rd one didn't matter.  

 

It'll matter when it comes to the Nationals' seeding in the playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
goalieboy82    373
4 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

 

It'll matter when it comes to the Nationals' seeding in the playoffs.

that is what the Monday after the last game is for (if it comes down to it).   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FGM13    674

So that Rafael Devers kid is alright. 

 

First LHB to homer off Chapman since 2011, to tie the game in the 9th. At 20 years old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ozzyman314    15
1 hour ago, FGM13 said:

So that Rafael Devers kid is alright. 

 

First LHB to homer off Chapman since 2011, to tie the game in the 9th. At 20 years old.

on a 102.8-mph pitch, the fastest pitch to allow a HR on record. 

 

Both he & Benintendi have been absolutely phenomenal. With Benny hitting 2 3-run bombs yesterday. 

Benintendi is without a doubt a top 5 rookie this year, Devers....close maybe not top 5, but 10 or 11 at absolute least. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now