Cosmic

Your Travel Bucket List

84 posts in this topic

Spring is right around the corner, and this is about the time when I dig my teeth into travel planning for the upcoming year.  I love spitballing plans. It's like the sports off-season; all of the optimism, none of the crushing reality yet.  Pretty straightforward... what are the things that you want to make sure you check off at some point in your life?  Also feel free to discuss the potential "bucket list" things that you've already done.  Some of these may be combine-able.  In no particular order:

- flowing lava (from a safe distance)

- total solar eclipse (very likely doing the one this year)

- see a humpback whale or larger (went whale watching once and had a great time, but only saw dolphins)

- large rocket launch

- redwood forest (RotJ area preferably)

- Alaskan cruise

- Grand Canyon

- Pacific Northwest

- Yellowstone National Park or similar (maybe Glacier NP)

- Mammoth Cave NP

- thorough tour of the Washington, D.C. area (cumulatively over time).  White House tour would probably be the crown jewel. I'd say I'm about 40% of the way to completion right now.  

- get back to a nighttime desert sky.  I saw one for only one night, and it was mind-blowing.

- long distance and/or scenic train ride.  You really have to go out of your way to take a train; in my very limited experience in the US, they're priced close to airline prices.  For that cost, I'll normally fly.  However, a train ride with a scenic route and overnight accomodations of some kind would be really neat.

- New Orleans

- drive along the coast from LA to San Francisco

- skate the entire length of the Rideau Canal (and back?). My only attempt thus far was cut short due to ice maintenance.  I did around 10 km on the 7.8 km skateway, though, because I did a round trip from the start.  I'd like to at least do a one way trip all the way through, even if I have to take a shuttle back.

- Europe.  I know that's impossibly vague, but I likely won't get there often; I want to do it at least once.  Probably France and/or Italy and/or Greece.

- Japan

- moving target of improving upon the oldest manmade thing I have seen.  The oldest that I'm aware of right now is 1726.

- high altitudes.  The highest I've been is likely at the top of Mount Washington in New Hampshire ~6,200'.  I don't need to go to the top of a 15,000' mountain (and probably don't want to), but I want to get out to an area with a landscape like this (see Denali below).  It's stunningly beautiful, and I've never seen anything like it.

400px-Denali_Mt_McKinley.jpg

Wife's bucket list:

- dude ranch booked for Spring 2018

Potential bucket list items already checked off:

- family trip to Walt Disney World as a kid and an adult

- family fishing trip

- cottage in the Adirondacks

- New England road trip

- swam in the Atlantic and the Pacific

- Niagara Falls? It's definitely worth seeing, but it's 20 minutes away.  I don't know if other people really care about it.

Edited to add:

DONE - Inaugural Winter Classic

Potential upcoming - the World Juniors group stage game between US and Canada will be outdoors this year.  I am amenable to going, and a sport I love being played at a high level of international competition as part of a rivalry in front of 70,000ish people on the border between those two countries could be pretty cool.  Plus, it's a rematch of this past year's gold medal game.  Not sure if fate will be on my side, though.

The current one for my wife and I is to travel to all 30 MLB parks.

The current ones done so far are:

LAD

LAA

SD

SF

OAK

SEA

ARI

COL

KC

STL

DET

TOR

BAL (technically we've both been there but we're going back together).

In April HOU and TEX will be checked off.

3 people like this

7 minutes ago, LMU said:

The current one for my wife and I is to travel to all 30 MLB parks.

The current ones done so far are:

LAD

LAA

SD

SF

OAK

SEA

ARI

COL

KC

STL

DET

TOR

BAL (technically we've both been there but we're going back together).

In April HOU and TEX will be checked off.

Reminded me of a couple sports items that I could add.  Do I dare even dream of saying I want to be there in person to see my team play in a Super Bowl or the Stanley Cup Final?  Nah, gotta keep it somewhat realistic.

My Bucket list:

1. Australia, specifically Sydney or Perth

2. Denver, Colorado

3. Fenway Park and Boston in general

4. East Coast MiLB ballparks, I've only ever been to Frederick Keys and Hagerstown Suns

5. Daytona Speedweeks

1 person likes this

I've always wanted to visit Vancouver, New Zealand, and Australia. Luckily, I have booked a trip this summer to all three! If anybody is around Vancouver the last weekend of June (28th and 29th) and would like to grab a beer, let me know!

2 people like this

11 minutes ago, Brass said:

I've always wanted to visit Vancouver, New Zealand, and Australia. Luckily, I have booked a trip this summer to all three! If anybody is around Vancouver the last weekend of June (28th and 29th) and would like to grab a beer, let me know!

I was just in Vancouver in December. It's absolutely phenomenal.  If possible try to take a day trip up to Whistler.

16 minutes ago, LMU said:

I was just in Vancouver in December. It's absolutely phenomenal.  If possible try to take a day trip up to Whistler.

I was thinking about that. I'm definitely going to head towards Stanley Park. I just bought a GoPro and would love to rent a bike and cycle around the trails.

37 minutes ago, Brass said:

I would totally take you up on that offer, however Ill likely be camping up in squamish that weekend. heres a list of stuff you should consider doing while youre here. 

If youre in the Downtown area you can belt out all of these in a day

Stanley Park/Lions gate bridge

Art Gallery

English bay

Gastown

BC Place

Granville Island

If youre looking for some solid places to grab a drink id suggest 

The Cambie

Craft Beer Market

Library Square public house

Steamworks Pub

Speakeasy

And if you have the time in your trip you can take the 15 min seabus over to my hometown of North Van. If you do, here's a list of things you could do/see in my area

Lonsdale quay, (your central hub to anywhere in the city)

Grouse Mountain

Grouse Grind if youre ambitious

Ambleside beach

Park Royal Mall

Deep Cove Village

Hike up Quarry Rock (a bit of a trek but worth the journey)

Hopefully you get blessed with some sun when youre here. Nothing quite beats walking along the downtown seawall and through Stanley Park in the summertime. Just.... dont go anywhere near hastings and main st. Stay away from that area at all costs. Its like The Walking Dead over there. 

EDIT: If you plan on biking, MOST CERTAINLY head to North Van, preferably to Lynn Valley/Lynnmour/Deep Cove. Fantastic trails all over the city.

1 person likes this

Heres my personal Travel Bucket List

Travel/Camp in the 10 provinces and 3 territories of Canada (2/13)
Travel to the 50 states (3/50)
Road trip Canada
Road trip Usa
Travel to the 7 continents (2/7)
Explore all of BC
Explore England/Scotland/Ireland

Southeast Asia

Australia

New Zealand

Carribean
Visit 25 world heritage sites

1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, Connor Hanley said:

I would totally take you up on that offer, however Ill likely be camping up in squamish that weekend. heres a list of stuff you should consider doing while youre here. 

If youre in the Downtown area you can belt out all of these in a day

Stanley Park/Lions gate bridge

Art Gallery

English bay

Gastown

BC Place

Granville Island

If youre looking for some solid places to grab a drink id suggest 

The Cambie

Craft Beer Market

Library Square public house

Steamworks Pub

Speakeasy

And if you have the time in your trip you can take the 15 min seabus over to my hometown of North Van. If you do, here's a list of things you could do/see in my area

Lonsdale quay, (your central hub to anywhere in the city)

Grouse Mountain

Grouse Grind if youre ambitious

Ambleside beach

Park Royal Mall

Deep Cove Village

Hike up Quarry Rock (a bit of a trek but worth the journey)

Hopefully you get blessed with some sun when youre here. Nothing quite beats walking along the downtown seawall and through Stanley Park in the summertime. Just.... dont go anywhere near hastings and main st. Stay away from that area at all costs. Its like The Walking Dead over there. 

EDIT: If you plan on biking, MOST CERTAINLY head to North Van, preferably to Lynn Valley/Lynnmour/Deep Cove. Fantastic trails all over the city.

I appreciate this! I'm getting in very late on the night of the 27th, staying at the YWCA Hostel and then flying out at about 9:30 PM on the 29th. A quick trip, but hoping to get a few of the things you listed in. I doubt it'll be my last time in the city. Do you know if it's a long cab ride from the airport to my hostel, which is located about a block from BC Place?

13 minutes ago, Brass said:

I appreciate this! I'm getting in very late on the night of the 27th, staying at the YWCA Hostel and then flying out at about 9:30 PM on the 29th. A quick trip, but hoping to get a few of the things you listed in. I doubt it'll be my last time in the city. Do you know if it's a long cab ride from the airport to my hostel, which is located about a block from BC Place?

No worries dude. I know all the spots to see :)

Anyway, your hostel is roughly a 25 min drive from YVR. Shouldnt be too expensive but keep in mind a lot of cabbies here like to take the extra long routes. Id consider taking the canada line from YVR to your hostel as it stops in Yaletown (10 min walk from your hostel) but keep in mind it might be a pain hauling your gear from the station to your hostel and vice versa.

Also, if you intend on taking a lot of public transit i recommend you get a compass card as soon as you can and load like 20 bucks onto it. Itll make the transit a lot easier as our zoning and pricing is confusing at times. 

1 person likes this

Daytona Beach during Speedweeks and the Daytona 500

Indianapolis during the Indy 500 (Qualifying and maybe the race)

England and Scotland (would love to see the old Scottish golf courses; particularly St. Andrews)

Germany (would like to see the area and places the first ancestors of my family [Dad's side] came from)

Italy (oh boy; would I love to take a food/wine tour in Italy; eating all the different kinds of pasta and their version of pizza)

Japan (I would love to visit Japan and immerse myself in the sights and culture there)

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, Connor Hanley said:

No worries dude. I know all the spots to see :)

Anyway, your hostel is roughly a 25 min drive from YVR. Shouldnt be too expensive but keep in mind a lot of cabbies here like to take the extra long routes. Id consider taking the canada line from YVR to your hostel as it stops in Yaletown (10 min walk from your hostel) but keep in mind it might be a pain hauling your gear from the station to your hostel and vice versa.

Also, if you intend on taking a lot of public transit i recommend you get a compass card as soon as you can and load like 20 or 30 bucks onto it. Itll make the transit a lot easier as our zoning and pricing is confusing at times. 

Thanks for the heads up. I'm guessing the Canada Line is the public transit train? I don't mind walking to my hostel if it's 10 minutes; I pack light. I actually plan on walking mostly and enjoying Vancouver. I've heard good things.

12 minutes ago, Brass said:

Thanks for the heads up. I'm guessing the Canada Line is the public transit train? I don't mind walking to my hostel if it's 10 minutes; I pack light. I actually plan on walking mostly and enjoying Vancouver. I've heard good things.

The Canada line is just an extension of the Skytrain, Vancouvers main form of rail transit, and that is a part of Translink which runs Skytrain, The Seabus, and the entire Bus system in the Vancouver area. That one particular route goes from richmond/YVR  all the way to waterfront station in downtown.

1 person likes this

22/50 States

3/7 Continents

Kuala Lumpur

Istanbul

Seoul

San Francisco

Svalbard

Stockholm

Halifax

Athens

Santorini

Versailles

Australia in general

1 person likes this

Sports Travel Bucket List

Baseball:  Spring Training in Arizona. (been to ST in FLA three times) I'd love to get to a game at all the MLB parks I haven't been to yet, but short of a lottery win, that's probably not going to happen. These are the ones that top my list. Camden Yards (went to a game there in '94*, but the game was rained out), Reds, Pirates, Nationals, Marlins, Cardinals, Royals, Dodgers, Angels, Padres, Mariners, and Giants. There are also quite a few Minor League parks on my list. (See why I'm going to need that lottery win?)

*It was also the day before the strike started

Football NFL: Lambeau Field tops the list. I'd also love to catch games in Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Kansas City, Denver, and New Orleans. 

College Football: Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, USC, Georgia, LSU, Auburn, Alabama, and an Army - Navy game.

NHL: Montreal, Toronto, Buffalo, Chicago, and I'd love to get back to MSG for another Rangers game.

NBA: Cleveland. Despite the fact that I live an hour away, I've never been to a Cavs game. MSG for a Knicks game. Staples Center for a Lakers game. 

NASCAR: I've been to a race at Daytona, but I want to go to the 500. Bristol and Talladega. 

Regular travel list:

US: Places I'd love to ride my Harley -  Route 66 out west. From Ohio to the Sturgis Rally. Maine, California Coast, Montana, Idaho, Arizona, Colorado.

Australia, Japan, Western Canada, and the Jane Goodall Institute South Africa. 

1 person likes this

Sports themed:

- All 30 MLB cities to see a game ( so far I've been to Houston, Detroit, Tampa Bay, and Miami).  #5 is coming this summer for a good friends bachelor weekend in Cleveland.

- So far I've been to all possible Grapefruit League ballparks except for Kissimmee (where the Astros just left, but the Fire Frogs will play this year) and the new Palm Beach ballpark where HOU and WSH train now.

Other than that I'd like to visit for longer than a weekend (which could be paired with baseball) Seattle for orca watching, LA, San Diego, San Fran, Vegas, Washington DC, New York, Boston, Toronto, Chicago, Alaska cruise, New Orleans, Savannah (GA), Key West (for longer than a few hours on a cruise stop), St Augustine

Internationally, Ireland is about the only place that interests me.  Mainly because there's so much in North America I haven't seen.

1 person likes this

So far I've been to 17 states + DC.

3 Continents (Asia, Europe, North America)

7 countries (United States, Canada, Germany, France, Austria, Netherlands, China... Possibly Japan this summer)

1 person likes this

I'm also seeking to visit all 30 major league parks. So far, I've been to:

• Current (20): BOS, NYY, NYM, PHI, BAL, WAS, ATL, PIT, TOR, CLE, CIN, DET, CHC, CHW, MIL, STL, HOU, LAD, LAA, SD
  • Former (5): NYY (Old Yankee Stadium), NYM (Shea), PHI (Vet), WAS (RFK), CIN (Riverfront)

So obviously, Minnesota, Seattle, SF, Oakland, Arizona, Colorado, Texas, Miami, Tampa Bay, Kansas City, and the new park in Atlanta are all travel priorities for me. I've only been to one of those cities in my life (Tampa/St. Pete, last summer) - ironically, the Yankees were actually in town at the same time I was, but I was there very briefly and couldn't squeeze in a ballgame, much as I wanted to. I was also a stone's throw from Miami, in West Palm Beach, but the Marlins weren't home at the time.

Outside of baseball, there's a few different places that are very high on my bucket list:

• London. That's my ultimate dream destination.
  • Paris (and Versailles)
  • Rome
  • Amsterdam
  • San Francisco/Napa Valley/Sonoma Valley - I have a feeling SF would be my favorite American city outside of the Northeast. I also would love to tour Napa and Sonoma and do wine tastings while enjoying the beautiful views.
  • Montreal (I've lived my entire life well within driving distance of Montreal, and somehow never made it up there. A Habs game in Montreal is my top hockey bucket list item.)
  • Vienna/Prague/Munich (all within driving distance of one another)
  • Ireland in general, especially Dublin and the Atlantic coast
  • Istanbul
  • Tuscany
  • French Riviera

I also really want to take a road trip across America, and would actually be really interested in doing a road trip across Western Europe as well (especially the Netherlands, Rhine/Rhur region, France, down through Spain, etc.). I love the feeling of being out on the open road, seeing a variety of sights, villages, meeting all sorts of people along the way, etc.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, charger77 said:

So far I've been to 17 states + DC.

3 Continents (Asia, Europe, North America)

7 countries (United States, Canada, Germany, France, Austria, Netherlands, China... Possibly Japan this summer)

You told us where you've been. The point of the thread is telling us where you'd like to go. B)