Cosmic

Your Travel Bucket List

107 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

You told us where you've been. The point of the thread is telling us where you'd like to go. B)

Then everywhere that isn't listed above. 😉

1 person likes this

35 minutes ago, charger77 said:

Then everywhere that isn't listed above. 😉

Fair enough. 

I'd like to visit a multitude of places along the American West.  Heritage old west towns, that kind of stuff.  I'd like to go to Yellowstone.  I want to return to Florida, New Orleans, and New York to visit them in earnest.  I want to see the Grand Canyon.  I want to see a bison.  

I want to go to Washington DC and see the typical touristy stuff.  I want to visit every major museum the US has to offer.

I have no outright interest in visiting Europe or Mexico, but wouldn't mind if I ended up there to see what history is on display.  

On 2/18/2017 at 9:51 PM, Cosmic said:

- flowing lava (from a safe distance

Reminds me of a guy I used to work with whose hobby was to photograph volcanoes. He thought he was at a safe distance from one until he noticed it was getting closer. Turns out the ground was melting the soles of his shoes and causing him to slide towards the lava flow. He and his partner got food poisoning that night and had to go to the local hospital, leaving their campground and equipment in place for the night. When they got back, the entire campground and their stuff was buried under a lava flow.

Bucket list?  I'm like Jack Kerouac, or more appropriately, his character Dean Moriarty. I love to just go, man: GO!  Love the road.  Love to fly.  Love to go out on my boat.  Love seeing new things.

Anything. Anytime. Anywhere.

As I am up for anything, I can't really say I have a "bucket list".  While I'd like to go to Europe, the Holy Land, Brazil, the South Pacific, etc., I can't pick one or two things.  Maybe drive from Miami to Key West on US 1.  Plus I've already done a lot of what I wanted to do already.  About the only "bucket list" thing I have was that I wrote the following sometime in the early fall 1996, when I was 31 and before I had done a lot:

...I look at maps of Seattle and realize I've never been there.  I dream of getting in my car and driving across the desert, through the mountains.  I dream of just seeing the ruins of downtown Detroit . 

I did the desert/mountain drive thing in West Texas later that same fall.  We visited Seattle two years later, and have gone back 4 times since. And just last year, I finally made it to Detroit. So, there's that.

I also am a collector and list maker.  A few years back, I found this wild site that allows and encourages you to document your places visited, but at the county level-- which I have also gotten into. Here is a map of my counties visited:

counties.jpg

Throw in Vancouver & Victoria in British Columbia, the Windsor area of Ontario, and Cancun in Mexico, and that's it for me for the whole world.

And here's a neat personal list of places I've been that are notable or that I'm proud of:

Been to 31 states; seen every NFL and NBA team and all but one MLB team play; been in 20 MLB ball parks (8 of which are demolished or are no longer used); visited 37 National Park units; been to the top of the Empire State Building and the Sears Tower; drove a boat in San Diego Harbor; hiked the Grand Canyon; zip-lined on Grouse Mountain north of Vancouver; drove straight from Philly to Atlanta and DC to New Orleans; have boated to and slept (camped) on every Mississippi Gulf Coast barrier island (and one in Florida); hiked all the way up to the end of the trail system on Mt. Rainier; walked through a redwood forest; drove the El Camino Real along the Rio Grande and got my Mazda MX-3 up to 120 mph just outside of Big Bend National Park; swam in the Pacific, Atlantic, Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean; ate barbecue and shot pool while listening to blues on Beale Street in Memphis; rode a bike in Central Park and all over Block Island, Rhode Island; hiked the 8.5 mile Panorama Trail in Yosemite National Park, drove a loaded moving truck 2 days from Green Bay to New Orleans; and coolest of all, rented and piloted a motorboat to visit Wallace Island in the British Columbia Gulf Islands, which I first read about when i was 12 years old in a book entitled "Once Upon An Island".

On 2/19/2017 at 8:34 PM, infrared41 said:

Sports Travel Bucket List

College Football: Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, USC, Georgia, LSU, Auburn, Alabama, and an Army - Navy game.

Let me know if you ever get down this way in the fall -- can probably work on doing that LSU game with you; would be great to meet you in person. 

2 people like this

1 hour ago, smzimbabwe said:

Reminds me of a guy I used to work with whose hobby was to photograph volcanoes. He thought he was at a safe distance from one until he noticed it was getting closer. Turns out the ground was melting the soles of his shoes and causing him to slide towards the lava flow. He and his partner got food poisoning that night and had to go to the local hospital, leaving their campground and equipment in place for the night. When they got back, the entire campground and their stuff was buried under a lava flow.

There's also the documentary "Into the Inferno" on Netflix, where a bunch of people died when lava did something unexpected. I think the main focus of the documentary was a couple of photographers, but they were leading a tour group and they were literally swept over by lava. I'll definitely be erring on the side of caution if it ever comes time to check that one off the list.

31 minutes ago, B-Rich said:

Let me know if you ever get down this way in the fall -- can probably work on doing that LSU game with you; would be great to meet you in person. 

Excellent. I'm in. I'll definitely let you know when I'm headed down that way. Also, what is the site you used to create the map? I'd love to do one of my own. 

I only really have one on the sports bucket list and that is to catch a Ducks game in Anaheim.

For places I'd like to visit:

- More than a few parts of Japan. Hokkaido, Yamagata, more of Kyoto, and the Itsukushima Shrine to name a few places. Hell I'd probably live in Tokyo if I could.

- A few more American cities. New York, Chicago, Seattle and Miami are the first ones off the top of my head.

- Finland

- Kinda want to see China, kinda don't

- I feel like I owe Scotland a visit

- The Lake District in Cumbria

- Australia. The idea of traveling all the way there always seemed quite daunting - even compared to California and Japan, which are 12-13 hour flights from the UK - but I'd like to visit Sydney, maybe Melbourne too.

- Sorta want to go to Paris for the Eiffel Tower, but beyond that nothing is really drawing me there.

1 person likes this

I notice nobody's said Buffalo yet... I assume because everyone's been here already? :lol:

I'd love to go to Liverpool and catch a game at Anfield, even if it's a preseason game. I want to experience that atmosphere for myself. 

On 2/19/2017 at 2:54 PM, Brass said:

I appreciate this! I'm getting in very late on the night of the 27th, staying at the YWCA Hostel and then flying out at about 9:30 PM on the 29th. A quick trip, but hoping to get a few of the things you listed in. I doubt it'll be my last time in the city. Do you know if it's a long cab ride from the airport to my hostel, which is located about a block from BC Place?

It's too bad your flight is late....I was going to say, one of the most incredible sights I've ever seen is flying into Vancouver on a clear evening.  The view is so incredible from up high that you don't want to lose a couple seconds to reach for your phone and look to take a picture.

2 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I notice nobody's said Buffalo yet... I assume because everyone's been here already:lol:

Quite a few times. I really like Buffalo....as long as I'm not there during the winter. 

1 person likes this

I've never been a big travel fan for some reason. I don't mind traveling if someone plans things out or invites me along, but I've never been all that proactive about it myself. That being said, I do have a couple places I'd like to visit someday:

- Oceania (specifically New Zealand and Australia, but I wouldnt mind looking into the whole Polynesian islands thing)

- Japan (I actually went years ago, but the trip was sort of a disaster: constant rain/bad weather, cancelled tours, got sick, et al.; I really just want a mulligan)

- Pacific Northwest (Portland/Seattle/Vancouver)

- Route 66 (been thru a couple stretches of it incidentally, but one day would kinda like to travel the whole thing)

- Cross-Continental Train Ride (I've always liked trains, and I've seen people who have done this online, so I feel like it'd be kinda cool)

- UK (my interest in visiting seems to decline every year; maybe b/c it's become so overly exposed in like TV/movies/media that I feel like there isn't much left for me to anticipate)

- Germany/Netherlands/Northern Europe (dunno, just seems cool)

1 person likes this

Traveling IMO is the best thing in the world, if I was a billionaire  I'd just be constantly exploring new things.

Unfortunately, I'm not. Hence the need for a bucket list

- Visit every European country (16/44 so far), especially want to visit Portugal and go to Copenaghen and Nordkapp

-Go on a cross-American road trip,especially to see the west coast since I've never been there

-China sounds fascinating in how it's become a world power in such a different culture from Western culture

-japan

-I'd love to see Persian artefacts in Iran

-India

-the pyramids in egypt

-Mexico 

- Machu Picchu in peru, Brazil and Argentina more generally in South America 

If I won the lottery I would probably just travel the world watching as many sporting events that I could. Definitely the following:

• Follow a Formula 1 season from start to finish.
  • Follow the England Cricket team for a full year - basically drinking beer all day in the sun and getting rowdy and sun burnt in far away commonwealth countries.
  • Rugby World Cup in a southern hemisphere country (although Japan 2019 would probably be quite cool too).

Some ideas which are more realistic but still bucket list worthy to me:

• There are a few theme parks, and particular roller coasters, which wouldn't be too difficult for me to visit. Thorpe Park (London), Phantasialand (Germany), Efteling (Netherlands) and Gardaland (Italy) for example.
  •  Ireland (and NI). Particularly Co. Monaghan and Co. Armagh. My surname is Irish and my ancestry can be traced back to these places. Considering how close I live to these places and how easy and cheap it is to travel to them, it is amazing to think that I have never even visited these countries and seen what they are like in person. I could literally walk to the ferry terminal from my house and board a ship that day for less than £50.
  • Just travel anywhere on a BAe 146 / Avro RJ aircraft. I have already done it when I was very young but would like to do it again. It is my favourite aircraft, which I realise makes me a massive nerd to even have a favourite, and as it is a regional hopper could be tied in to a city break somewhere on mainland Europe. I have a degree in aerospace engineering and I just like some of the unique and quirky design features which give the plane some character. A lot of these aircraft are coming to the end of their service history or being sold/leased to foreign operators.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, marble21 said:

• Just travel anywhere on a BAe 146 / Avro RJ aircraft. I have already done it when I was very young but would like to do it again. It is my favourite aircraft, which I realise makes me a massive nerd to even have a favourite, and as it is a regional hopper could be tied in to a city break somewhere on mainland Europe. I have a degree in aerospace engineering and I just like some of the unique and quirky design features which give the plane some character. A lot of these aircraft are coming to the end of their service history or being sold/leased to foreign operators.

Yeah, I've been on one once.  I was sick as a dog with headaches on a leg from St Louis to Memphis on Northwest Airlines.  Pretty sure I got bumped up to first class but I don't recall a thing...

21 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Also, what is the site you used to create the map? I'd love to do one of my own. 

Why do you think they call them Counties?

You will need to set up a user name and password. Once you get set up, you can go state by state with website-supplied Google earth and highway overlays to map which ones you have actually been in.  I only count those I have been "on the ground" in-- changing planes in an airport counts, but landing and not changing planes doesn't. Driving counts, too. I had to ask my parents which routes we took on trips when I was younger; thankfully my dad and mom have a pretty good memory of those things. My dad also has a map account; but he cheats; he added EVERY county along both sides of Delaware Bay because he sailed up & down it on an aircraft carrier when he was in the Navy.

Be careful or you'll wind up like me, mapping out routes and where you are going on Google Earth, and driving 5-10-15 minutes out of your way to catch a new county, and making sure that you don't miss out on easy ones like I did on these two (which I STILL don't have!):Lafayette County.jpg

Timberline.jpg

All I had to do was hike about 1,500 feet EAST from the edge of the parking lot....

1 person likes this

Euro Trip: (London, Edinburgh, Manchester, Madrid, Rome, Barcelona, Madrid, Paris, Amsterdam). I've been to Barca, Edinburgh, Madrid, London, Manchester and Amsterdam already, loved all of them.

Train trip: Possibly up the California coast all the way through to Vancouver, CA.

Every MLB park: I've got a long way to go since most of the ones I've been to are no longer around. Been to Jacobs Field and Petco Park so far. Was at Three Rivers, Riverfront and Candlestick as well. Also the old Cleveland Stadium. Been by Rangers Ballpark but not in it. Same for new Comisky and Wrigley.

Cruise: Probably a Carribean or Alaska in the summer.

Bucket List...

I want to drive the Florida Keys even though ppl say it's overrated.  I love water & driving & I would get a kick out of it I think.

I am motivated to get the right time & money for a PCH drive, though I would love to start as far north as Oregon if not outright Vancouver BC/Seattle WA.  I could see myself accomplishing that another 10-20yrs down the road.

Tokyo Olympics would be a lot of fun, alas that's a lot of money for flight & board during uber peak demand - for barely a week's worth.  I went to Vancouver in 2010, & probably doled nearly $2000 with my 3 hockey games tickets & return air (I stayed free at a friend's).  I'd love to visit a Summer games.

Olympics trip tip - IOC (at least for Vancouver, I'm guessing the rest too) as part of winning bid, host cities must block off many rooms & board for delegates, visitors, etc.  I had my hockey tix 14mos out & even after a year investigating couldn't find any motels/hotels accepting casual reservations.  I'm not sure what Tokyo's demand will be, I'm expecting above average for the games, & finding reservations could be tight.  

Not too much else, I'm easy.  I drive solo trips.  Done North of Superior, Gaspe Peninsula, Cabot Trail.  I'm not really into western Canada.  

I'll hit up one day an Indians game, R&R HOF, & Football HOF... maybe in a few years after Trump doesn't take my phone at the border.

Anyone contemplating sports trips - do it.  Friend of a friend, he was at Euro last summer.  Solo, he just decided to go.  I've seen it done - don't worry about planning years out.

1 person likes this

The goal is to hit all 13 provinces and territories...I've been to the four "big ones" (ON, QC, AB, BC) and loved them all*. I can probably check off all the Maritimes in one trip and all the territories in a separate one. Maybe I'll do a CFL road trip to cover Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

Excluding two-hour airport layovers, I actually haven't explored too much of the US. I've been to Buffalo frequently and my family took trips along the east coast (NY, MA, FL, SC) growing up (plus a trip to AZ/NV). I'd love to do DC and northern CA.

My buddies and I are planning a weekend trip to Algonquin Park (an enormous and spectacular Provincial Park about three hours north of Toronto) this summer. The last time I visited New York and Boston, Ground Zero and the Curse of the Bambino still existed, so perhaps a trip down there is warranted as well.

*I've loved them when I've visited, but in my mind I've only scratched the surface...I've seen Vancouver/Whistler, Banff/Jasper, Toronto/Ottawa/Niagara, and Montréal. I'd love to explore Calgary/Edmonton, Québec City, Ontario's parks, etc.

1 person likes this