Cosmic

Your Travel Bucket List

HedleyLamarr    1,281
23 hours ago, 2001mark said:

Tokyo Olympics would be a lot of fun, alas that's a lot of money for flight & board during uber peak demand - for barely a week's worth.  I went to Vancouver in 2010, & probably doled nearly $2000 with my 3 hockey games tickets & return air (I stayed free at a friend's).  I'd love to visit a Summer games.

Olympics trip tip - IOC (at least for Vancouver, I'm guessing the rest too) as part of winning bid, host cities must block off many rooms & board for delegates, visitors, etc.  I had my hockey tix 14mos out & even after a year investigating couldn't find any motels/hotels accepting casual reservations.  I'm not sure what Tokyo's demand will be, I'm expecting above average for the games, & finding reservations could be tight. 

There was also probably a minimum nights requirement, too.  Many hotels and campgrounds around Athens (GA) require a two-night stay on football weekends, most hotels in Houston had a 3-night minimum for the Super Bowl (we were going to stay somewhere around Baton Rouge or Lake Charles or Beaumont had we not gotten lucky with the team hotel), and many places around Augusta have a 3-4 night minimum for the week of the Masters.

2001mark    1,187
1 minute ago, HedleyLamarr said:

There was also probably a minimum nights requirement, too.  Many hotels and campgrounds around Athens (GA) require a two-night stay on football weekends, most hotels in Houston had a 3-night minimum for the Super Bowl (we were going to stay somewhere around Baton Rouge or Lake Charles or Beaumont had we not gotten lucky with the team hotel), and many places around Augusta have a 3-4 night minimum for the week of the Masters.

2010 is a long time ago online, I'd have to think there'd be easier hotel search pathways nowadays. 

You know, like paying the Ticketmaster devil only for a room instead.

I've currently been to eighteen states (though I will be going to New Jersey and New York this summer so consider it twenty soon). I may or may not visit every state, but I want to at least visit half the ones in the country.

usa50mer.gif

I'm also thinking about visiting every ballpark in America since I've been to a considerable amount already (I don't think I can visit the Rogers Centre any time soon, but I'm hopeful). I've been to Nationals Park, Oriole Park, Citizens Bank Park, PNC Park, Progressive Field, Great American Ballpark, Miller Park, Wrigley Field, Chase Field, *Guaranteed Rate Field, *Angels Ballpark, and Marlins Park. I will be going to Citi Field while up in New York this summer (and I'm hopeful I can get a glimpse at Yankee Stadium at the very least).

*I never been to an actual game, but have taken a tour around the entire structure, in and out.

As for outside the country, there really isn't that many places I wanna go, but I have always wanted to visit Japan, Italy, Germany, United Kingdom, and of course, Canada.

BringBackTheVet    4,086

Is there any free world maps where you can click on countries / states you've been and have them fill in like some of the ones posted in this thread?

Countries / Cities I've been for fun:

Canada (Windsor, Montreal)

Mexico (TJ)

Italy (Rome, Florence, Verona, Venice)

Germany (Munich)

China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo)

Hong Kong SAR

Macau SAR

Iceland (Reykjavic)

Latvia (Riga)

Serbia (Belgrade)

Hungary (Budapest)

Slovakia (Bratislava)

Austria (Vienna)

Czech Republic (Brno)

Poland (Krakow)

Sweden (Stockholm)

Denmark (Copenhagen)

Ireland (Dublin)

Spain (Barcelona)

Portugal (Lisbon)

Japan (Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka)

Korea (Seoul, the DMZ)

Cuba (Santa Clara, Trinidad, Havana)

Upcoming in 2017:

Peru (Lima, Cuzco / Machu Picchu)

Cambodia

Vietnam

Bucket List:

Antarctica (have a friend on her way there now)

Russia (Moscow, STP, Asian russia)

Caucasus region (Georgia, Armenia, Baku Azerbaijan)

Eastern European disputed zones (Tiraspol Transistria for example)

Patagonia region Chile

Galapagos

Lagos Nigeria

Probably tons others I can't think of.  Several of these are realistic within the next couple of years.

Cosmic    2,477
19 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Eastern European disputed zones (Tiraspol Transistria for example)

This is a pretty unusual one.. what's the pull?

Edit: Wow, sounds like a mini Soviet Republic in 2017?  I would be very interested in going... to your house so you could tell me all about it after you go.

Cosmic    2,477

Here's my map, although I don't want to get too hung up on visiting new states... getting to a new area of an "old" state can be just as rewarding.

I map the map here, but I didn't quite follow their rules:

Blue - home, sweet home

Red - a state I've only driven through

Amber - I've done something, but not enough to really count

Green - I did something worthwhile

states%20visited%20map.png

With the eclipse this year, I should turn either Illinois, South Carolina, or Tennessee green.  I'm determined to go to Cherry Springs State Park in PA to check out the dark skies there; I just need a time that works.  Booked a dude ranch in GA next spring, and I'm really excited to see the Georgia Aquarium.

Places I've been (like actually been, not driven through or flown through):

Within the US:

North Carolina (Grew up there)

Virginia

South Carolina

Georgia

Florida

Tennessee

Massachusetts

Maine

Michigan

California

Outside the US:

Philippines (Home)

South Korea

Thailand

Place I want to go:

Within the US:

Washington State

Oregon

Outside the US

Canada (How have I not been to Canada?)

Japan

China

Hong Kong

Taiwan

Indonesia

Malaysia

UAE

France

Switzerland

Germany

Brazil

Cuba

DPRK (I'm Korean though... :()

ImmortalChef    243

I would like to visit every NBA arena in my life, but I have only been to 1, the Garden :cry:

New Orleans (for the food, and the music), Memphis (same), Clarksdale Miss. (the music--big blues fan), San Antonio looks like great fun, Tokyo (for Tokyo Disneyland, and to see a wrestling show there), and England would be fun, so why not add that to the list too?

HedleyLamarr    1,281
On 2/25/2017 at 8:12 AM, Cosmic said:

With the eclipse this year, I should turn either Illinois, South Carolina, or Tennessee green.  I'm determined to go to Cherry Springs State Park in PA to check out the dark skies there; I just need a time that works.  Booked a dude ranch in GA next spring, and I'm really excited to see the Georgia Aquarium.

The center of the eclipse will be like 1.5 hours away from my house.  Hell yeah I'm gonna go travel to see it!

Cosmic    2,477
3 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

The center of the eclipse will be like 1.5 hours away from my house.  Hell yeah I'm gonna go travel to see it!

I think I'm basically on the center line of the 2024 eclipse, so party at my house in seven years!

kroywen    1,370

Here's my map of states visited (red for brief visits, amber for overnight or one-time visits, blue for "places I've spent a lot of time in," and green for spending a "great deal of time on multiple visits" (I've lived in New York and Connecticut):

map.png

On top of these, I've also visited Ontario (on multiple occasions) and Baja California (briefly). Never been outside of North America.

Within the US, the top destinations I'm interested in that I've yet to visit:

• San Francisco
  • Napa Valley
  • New Orleans
  • Seattle
  • Grand Canyon
  • Savannah
  • Portland
  • Memphis
  • Charleston, SC
  • Miami (been to West Palm Beach, but didn't make it down to Miami)
  • Twin Cities
  • Maine, especially Bar Harbor

wildwing64    1,143
On 2/22/2017 at 1:08 AM, Cosmic said:

I notice nobody's said Buffalo yet... I assume because everyone's been here already? :lol:

I've been to Niagara Falls, which is the nearest I've been to Buffalo :P 

Gobbi    228

Fun thread!

Countries I've been to:

Canada (live here)

USA 

Mexico (Puerto Vallarta & Cancun + a day trip to Chichen Itza)

China (Shanghai)

Singapore

Provinces I've been to:

BC (live here, and have visited just about every major city)

Alberta (Calgary & Edmonton)

Ontario (Toronto & Niagara Falls)

States I've been to:

Washington (Seattle)

California (LA, San Diego, and a day in San Fran)

Nevada (Vegas)

Kansas (KC)

Missouri (KC)

Pennsylvania (Philly)

New York (NYC & Niagara Falls)

New Jersey (Camden & East Rutherford)

Illinois (if you include a layover in O'Hare)

Ever since I was a kid, I've been interested in license plates. I would always keep an eye out for plates from far away when I was on roadtrips or even around town. I recently got a BC plate as a gift with my name on it from http://www.noveltyplates.ca/index.html which offers customizable province/territory/state plates printed on aluminum (they are flat, not embossed). Anyways, my plan is to buy one for each province/state I've been to with my fondest memory of my visit printed on it... For example, I was at Felix Hernandez's perfect game so I would get the Washington plate customized with "PERFECT GAME". Also, I would want the Alberta plate to read "HITMAN" because I took a roadtrip with my brother to Calgary to see Raw in 2010 where we finally got to see Bret Hart for the first time, and were lucky enough to shake his hand as he walked around ringside at the end of the night. It's been fun to come up with what I would customize each one with... now just waiting for the right time to justify buying them all because they run at 30 bucks a pop. As you guys may know from the Ice Cream Helmets thread, I'm all about collecting things to mark where I've been.

I've been to 7 different MLB ballparks and would love to cross of all 30... although at this point, seeing all 30 teams is more realistic since I'm sitting at 13.

I've seen 4 NFL stadiums, 4 NHL arenas, and 1 NBA arena, and would love to see any new ones.

Anyways on to things I haven't done...

Places I would like to go:

Sweden

Iceland

Italy

United Kingdom

Cambodia

Australia

Egypt

Galapogos Islands

Maritime Provinces

Alaska

Miami

Chicago

New Orleans

Pittsburgh

Baltimore

Boston

Montreal

Dubai

Things I would like to see:

Pro Football Hall of Fame

WrestleMania including Axxess, & HOF

Royal Rumble (side note, I've been to 10 WWE events and have never seen a title change hands... I've always wanted to see a world title change hands in person)

Star Wars exhibit once it opens in Disney Parks

A win by the Philadelphia Eagles... I've only ever seen back-up QBs (Kolb, Young, Sanchez) play, and all three games I've been to have been blowouts.

African safari

Other things I would like to see/do but aren't as realistic:

Attend a Saturday Night Live taping

See a "big 4" championship game

The Door to Hell

Antarctica

Cosmic    2,477
9 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

I've been to Niagara Falls, which is the nearest I've been to Buffalo :P 

1 hour ago, Gobbi said:

Ontario (Toronto & Niagara Falls)

As people who came from far away, what was your opinion of the Falls?  I'd think it would be a great day, but not necessarily a week-long trip.  The Maid of the Mist (or whatever the Canadian equivalent is now) I think is very satisfying, contrasted with a place like Mount Rushmore that I've heard is disappointing to actually visit.

Shumway    730

I haven't traveled much, so there are about a billion places I'd like to go to. I've been out of my own time zone once (this summer, i went to Nashville) and left the United States twice (once to Toronto for a few days, the other to lovely Windsor for an evening of gambling and a terrible strip club, which I received a voucher for free admission for when I parked my car...and still had to pay $5 to get in). Oh, and I've been to Detroit twice (the first led to my Windsor experience). Anyway, on to my list....

- England - I have an aunt in England that I've actually never met. My dad and her only reconnected a few years ago, and my dad went over a few years ago. I've been bugging him to go back (I'm well aware I could go by myself, but my dad never does stuff, so I want him to come along.)

- California, specifically Anaheim - I'm a lifelong Angels' fan and have yet to go to a home game at the big A. I usually catch the Halos when they're in Baltimore or the rare trip to Philly.

- Montreal - I've heard it's fun and a good place to eat.

- Phoenix - See Anaheim, but replace Angels with Suns. Oh, and Dan Majerle's restaurant is a must...I still wear #9 for all sports and have Thunder Dan dress socks.

- Chicago - Just seems like a cool city. I like food. I like beer.

- Back to Detroit: I didn't explore as much as I would've liked to. The first time, I went to the Frozen Four, and the second to a Lions game. I didn't spend much time sightseeing outside of the stadium area.

- Belgium/Germany - Again, I like beer. And food.

Gobbi    228
3 hours ago, Cosmic said:

As people who came from far away, what was your opinion of the Falls?  I'd think it would be a great day, but not necessarily a week-long trip.  The Maid of the Mist (or whatever the Canadian equivalent is now) I think is very satisfying, contrasted with a place like Mount Rushmore that I've heard is disappointing to actually visit.

I loved it! My girlfriend and I went to Niagara Falls as part of our weeklong trip to Toronto. We caught a greyhound there in the morning, spent the whole day wandering around, stayed the night, and then took a bus back to Toronto in the morning. I agree with you that one day was enough but I thoroughly enjoyed every moment. We didn't take the Maid of the Mist but we did do the "Journey Below the Falls" ( can't remember if that was the exact name) where we went down in the tunnels behind the falls as well as on the deck right next to Horseshoe Falls on the Canadian side. We loved being able to just walk across the border and view the falls from all different angles. That, added to the equally mesmerizing but completely different experience when viewing the falls lit up at night was enough to make it worth it.

Aside from just the falls, we had a blast walking up and down Clifton Hill and the surrounding area where there's no shortage of things to do. I'm a sucker for mini golf and had a blast playing the huge dinosaur course with the "real" volcano. One thing that I was surprised by is how much more of a tourist attraction Canada has made Niagara Falls with all the extra things to do on Clifton Hill. I was surprised when we crossed the border to not see the same thing on the American side. From my experiences, the US doesn't normally shy away from glitz and glamour so it was amusing to see the Canadian side taking advantage of all the tackiness and money grabs. Anyways, I feel like I've more than answered your question but to sum it all up, it was one of the funnest days I've ever had. I wouldn't be surprised if I found my way back there at some point.

HedleyLamarr    1,281
1 hour ago, Shumway said:

I haven't traveled much, so there are about a billion places I'd like to go to. I've been out of my own time zone once (this summer, i went to Nashville) and left the United States twice (once to Toronto for a few days, the other to lovely Windsor for an evening of gambling and a terrible strip club, which I received a voucher for free admission for when I parked my car...and still had to pay $5 to get in). Oh, and I've been to Detroit twice (the first led to my Windsor experience). Anyway, on to my list....

You've already been to the pinnacle of destinations....Windsor, where anything goes.

Brass    1,566

Toronto is another bucket list destination for me. I might go in a few months to the Sportcard & Memorabilia Expo from May 5th-7th which would be pretty rad.