New Cedar Point logo

CoasterLine

Cedar Point (amusement park in Sandusky, OH) over the last month or so rolled out a new logo and website. From the sounds of it, this style will roll across all of Cedar Fair parks.

http://www.cedarpoint.com

To me, feels cheaper and more generic. The new website is pretty cookie cutter as well.

cedar-point-logo-comparison.jpg

cedar-point-website-comparison.jpg

Shaun Rajewski
Lead Developer, Founder
Epic Web Studios LLC.

Not too bad, not great either. The font is kind of similar to the old one, but it being straight seems like it would be the corporate logo. The new one definitely doesn't evoke Amusement/Theme Park. 

I guess its the "App Age" of design. Fonts and logos have to look good on the little square on your phone now. 

packchampionslfroh.png

Definitely feels like a downgrade to me.

The kerning is really bothering me. Especially between the e-d and p-o. Just seems weird to have only those two letters touch and not any of the other ones. I agree that nothing about this says amusement park or "fun", aside from the little red flag. 

The new font is the same as the one in the Cedar Fair logo that was introduced a few years ago. I'm surprised it's taken them this long to start using it for the parks. I'm guessing every other CF park (except for Knott's) will adopt the font over the next few years.

Cedar-Fair-Logo_zpsjnt2w7eh.jpg

An alternate version of the new logo:

Cedar_Point_logo_2017_zpsgzkjpnoz.jpg

spacer.png

It looks like a logo for a budget executive retreat where fat people play golf.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Downgrade IMO as well. I loved the element of the rolling text to symbolize their trademark roller coaster collection. They could've incorporated this in a more subtle fashion in an update, but instead drop it for a generic logo with strange kerning.

It's not even bad though, just doesn't stand out as anything special. Also, someone needs to get them to stop using CP so much on social media. Shirts that say "I <3 CP" should not actually make it to the gift shop.

31 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

Downgrade IMO as well. I loved the element of the rolling text to symbolize their trademark roller coaster collection. They could've incorporated this in a more subtle fashion in an update, but instead drop it for a generic logo with strange kerning.

It's not even bad though, just doesn't stand out as anything special. Also, someone needs to get them to stop using CP so much on social media. Shirts that say "I <3 CP" should not actually make it to the gift shop.

The majority of their merchandise is awful as well.

Very much devoid of character (which is the last thing you should use to describe the logo of an amusement park!), although the current (now old) logo is hardly any better. I've always resented how all of Cedar Fair's parks use the same generic, cookie-cutter wordmarks:

Screen Shot 2017-03-04 at 10.07.36 AM.png

Look, I understand the desire for consistency, but you can do that without sucking the character out of each one. My hometown Canada's Wonderland (which I visited all the time growing up and still visit at least once per summer) changed their logo slightly last year:

Wonderland.png

The park made attempts last year to become more Canadian-themed, so I'm fine with the addition of the maple leaf (it's what I call the Blue Jays principle -- if you're going to slap a maple leaf into your branding cuz CANADA, that's lazy pandering (like McDonald's)...but if you're actually going to make "Canadian-ness" part of what you do (like the Blue Jays' efforts to grow the game across the country and like Wonderland's efforts to return to its roots and become a Canadian theme park) I think it's justified). Still, while I support the change, the execution is pretty poor. I would have preferred it if the leaf were slightly larger and came up from behind the wordmark, like the Molson Canadian logo (although perhaps that might be stepping on Molson's toes too much). Better yet, modernize this beauty:

2015522-WONDERLAND-LOGO.JPG

----

Point is that some character is a welcome improvement, although it doesn't go nearly far enough. To my knowledge, most of these parks have their own histories (i.e. they weren't originally owned by Cedar Fair), and so they should be allowed much more creative freedom in their branding. Many of the parks (including Wonderland) were turned into living advertisements for Paramount products when they were owned by Viacom. Even now, Cedar Fair seems to care all about adding high-intensity rides branded with generic names ("Behemoth," "Fury 325," "Banshee"), with little regard to each individual park's identity. I'd much prefer to keep the "theme" in "theme park" and let the logos reflect that.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Archived