Bruins

The Cereal Thread

Cosmic    2,556
1 hour ago, CS85 said:

They then reverted a decade ago to the spheres again and it's just...just so unpleasant.

Did not know this.  They can go to hell.

HedleyLamarr    1,387
4 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

This box was a little bit before my time, but then again, I've always been fascinated with how brands evolve...

13413652033_6a75910ccb_b.jpg

I vaguely remember this box until they went to the blue box.  But the better box was the purple, because the vowels were marshmallows.  And it was an even bigger deal when the "sometimes Y" was added to the marshmallow category.

As I said before, probably my favorite cereal of all time.  (And now I'm at an age where I don't get odd looks for purchasing this cereal.)  About 10 years ago or so, Post axed both the regular and marshmallow Alpha Bits.  I guess popular demand brought it back, but they changed the recipe and it tasted just like the plain Cheerios, so I gave them up.  Tried it again a couple years ago and they had brought back the old taste, so I came back.  They never did bring back the marshmallow edition, and they got rid of a lot of their letters...now all you get is A's, B's, D's (or O's), N's (or Z's), X's, R's (or P's if that piece falls off) and a bunch of broken pieces......

Kaz    711

I used to love Reeses Puffs, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Lucky Charms, Trix (with shapes), but now the sweetness is too much.

I pretty much only eat "mom" cereals now like Honey Bunches of Oats and Special K.

neo_prankster    198

Anybody remember the Dunkin Donuts cereal?

xltogqh4pznqycgkel40.jpg

habsfan1    1,348
5 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

xltogqh4pznqycgkel40.jpg

They appear to be nothing more than plain Cherios. Still, I wish I could have had the chance to give them a try.

neo_prankster    198

There were I think two Dunkin Donuts variations, this one the second...

latest?cb=20141206190757

Zeus89725    998
22 minutes ago, Kaz said:

I used to love Reeses Puffs,

These have become a meme and I love it.

Here's the original:

Here are some remixes.

And also to add to the conversation, Reese's Puffs were always gross to me, along with Cookie Crunch and the overly-sugary cereals. They just made me want to throw up.

Bruins    595
45 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

xltogqh4pznqycgkel40.jpg

Fun Facts, I actually live like five minutes away from the first Dunky's ever and my dad met the real "Time to make the donuts" guy there. Nice fella, apparently

image.jpeg

HedleyLamarr    1,387

A few years ago, a friend of mine went to her hometown of Cincinnati and brought me back this cereal:

ochocincos-cereal.jpg

Pretty much had the taste of a store-brand of Honey Nut Cheerios, but funny nevertheless.....

Bruins    595

The same with these:

image.jpeg

Spike box for full effect!

habsfan1    1,348
8 minutes ago, Bruins said:

Fun Facts, I actually live like five minutes away from the first Dunky's ever and my dad met the real "Time to make the donuts" guy there. Nice fella, apparently

image.jpeg

It's amazing that the first Dunkin Donuts is still open to this day. And continues to use a throwback design.

I wonder if the first McDonalds is still running...

Bruins    595
20 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

It's amazing that the first Dunkin Donuts is still open to this day. And continues to use a throwback design.

I wonder if the first McDonalds is still running...

It's basically like a shrine to Dunkin Donuts inside:

image.jpeg

And I believe the first McDonald's is a museum now.

Bruins    595

Did anyone cash in on these?

image.jpeg

When I was a kid, Frosted Flakes, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, and these:

..And I think they're gone. I miss them.

These days, oatmeal with a bit of sugar, cinnamon and banana slices or Cheerios with banana slices.

IMG_0605.JPG

Cosmic    2,556
4 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Here's another good one...

Kelloggs+Krave+Chocolate+Flavour.png

My kids would kill for the double chocolate version of this. And I would help them. It's amazing.

wildwing64    1,192
11 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

I assume that's how they call it in the UK..

Yup. "Frosted Flakes" sounds like a generic term, or something a supermarket's own brand product would use (in fact, they do). Kellogg's likely went with "Frosties" here because it was easier to trademark.

DG_Now    4,004
6 hours ago, Cosmic said:

My kids would kill for the double chocolate version of this. And I would help them. It's amazing.

Kelloggs-Krave-Cereal.jpg

I didn't take a photo, but when I went to Paris a few years ago I visited a Carrefour grocery store. As much as Americans love sugar, the French love chocolate -- especially in their breakfast cereal. They have a ton of chocolate versions of stuff we have, and more. Lots of stuff that looks like this:

FrenchCereals.jpg

(not my photo, but you get the idea)