Rare NBA Getty Images, Google & Internet Find

• 4 weeks later...

Well, that's a confusing looking game. 

From my assessment this is a preseason game held at the Capital Centre in Landover, MD in 1980 since the 1980-81 season was the only full season Lucas played with the Nets and the Bullets hosted a preseason tournament in the 80s.

490153384.thumb.jpg.7ceb017ff3f463bfe7b308737d3ee7a3.jpg

• Like 1

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

11 hours ago, kimball said:

From my assessment this is a preseason game held at the Capital Centre in Landover, MD in 1980 since the 1980-81 season was the only full season Lucas played with the Nets and the Bullets hosted a preseason tournament in the 80s.

Finally, something to beat that Knicks/Hawks orange vs. red disaster from 2013.

• Like 7

21 hours ago, kimball said:

I hope we see fiascoes like this with this stupid Icon and Association BS.

• Like 1

spacer.png

• 1 year later...

Dinking around Getty Images and I found a few fun pics ...

A rare picture of Pete Maravich as a member of the UTAH Jazz (played only 17 games before being waived).

pete-maravich-of-the-utah-jazz-drives-ag

Karl Malone in the Green Jazz Jerseys they stopped wearing before 1985-86 season. This was a game in SLC on St. Patrick's Day against Detroit.

6507346465_a545d26848_o.jpg

• Like 2

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

On 3/3/2017 at 1:31 PM, KittSmith_95 said:

john-havlicek-of-the-boston-celtics-cele

Image from 1977, not sure when. Just had to get in a pic of one of the most underrated players ever in John Havlicek. 

What is going on with that cake?! Is it melting?

kimball banner.png

19 hours ago, kimball said:

Dinking around Getty Images and I found a few fun pics ...

A rare picture of Pete Maravich as a member of the UTAH Jazz (played only 17 games before being waived).

pete-maravich-of-the-utah-jazz-drives-ag

Karl Malone in the Green Jazz Jerseys they stopped wearing before 1985-86 season. This was a game in SLC on St. Patrick's Day against Detroit.

6507346465_a545d26848_o.jpg

Also note: The Detroit/Utah game also appears to be a color-on-color matchup, and it seems that the Jazz have been wearing their green jerseys (when they have one) at home on or around St. Patrick’s Day for longer than I expected.

• Like 1

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

On 7/19/2017 at 7:56 AM, kimball said:

I spot this in another thread, but what caught my eye was Chris Webber's jersey compared to Ben Wallace (I believe it's him since JR Rider is on Portland). I believe this was a pre-season game since the Bullets did this with their numbers and NOB during that time frame during the 90s. 

52474348.thumb.jpg.55dbba9051aa649e6fec0380de9b9641.jpg

The Blazers look so much better without the grey. 

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
On 3/3/2017 at 11:37 AM, kimball said:

A few things from this picture -- 1) It's from the inaugural season, 2) It's being played in the Municipal Auditorium (one of two arenas the Jazz used before moving into the Superdome the following year) -- notice the elevated court and net. 

98127401.jpg

Can't believe I missed this point a few years ago.   

The elevated court and net was actually at the old Loyola (University) Field House:

loyola-field-house-1954.jpg

In their first season (before the Superdome was opened in 1975), the Jazz played most of their games in the Municipal Auditorium, but when it was booked with other things (mostly during Carnival season, when it was booked with NUMEROUS Mardi Gras balls) the Jazz played in the Field House, which had an elevated court and net surrounding it  (at that point in time, Loyola no longer fielded athletic teams). Here's a photo of its set-up:

8170052355_3d3bacc91e_c.jpg

The ABA New Orleans Buccaneers played most of their games here, too; but also played a few in Tulane's basketball facility as well. 

• Like 3

It is what it is.

On 5/1/2017 at 12:46 AM, MkDon said:

Just found this. The Los Angeles Lakers and the Charlotte Hornets played a preseason game in the New Orleans Arena in 2000. Just two years later, the Hornets moved to New Orleans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nwuAMQxMFo&t=0m59s

I actually went to that game!

• Like 2

It is what it is.

On 5/14/2020 at 9:18 AM, B-Rich said:

Can't believe I missed this point a few years ago.   

The elevated court and net was actually at the old Loyola (University) Field House:

loyola-field-house-1954.jpg

In their first season (before the Superdome was opened in 1975), the Jazz played most of their games in the Municipal Auditorium, but when it was booked with other things (mostly during Carnival season, when it was booked with NUMEROUS Mardi Gras balls) the Jazz played in the Field House, which had an elevated court and net surrounding it  (at that point in time, Loyola no longer fielded athletic teams). Here's a photo of its set-up:

8170052355_3d3bacc91e_c.jpg

The ABA New Orleans Buccaneers played most of their games here, too; but also played a few in Tulane's basketball facility as well. 

Awwww, gotcha. Thanks for the little history lesson. 

• Like 1

kimball banner.png

Found these the other day and thought it was interesting. It's Danny Manning without a number on the front of his jersey (I am still looking for a back view).

This game was against the Minnesota Timberwolves in 1993 right after he was traded to Atlanta. This was his first home game, but not first game with the Hawks. He played a few nights earlier against the 76ers in Philly. I am curious to see what his jersey looked like there (going to go look).

danny-manning-of-the-atlanta-hawks-dribb

• Like 3

kimball banner.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...