Rare NBA Getty Images, Google & Internet Find

• 2 weeks later...

found this somewhat confounding gem:
spacer.png
Pistol Pete vs. Nets.  Curious as to what arena this is? Maravich is wearing 7, so it's gotta be no earlier than '75-'76.  Don't think this is Nassau Coliseum-- maybe a pre-merger exhibition game somewhere...

• Like 2

It is what it is.

2 hours ago, B-Rich said:

spacer.png
Pistol Pete vs. Nets.  Curious as to what arena this is? Maravich is wearing 7, so it's gotta be no earlier than '75-'76.  Don't think this is Nassau Coliseum-- maybe a pre-merger exhibition game somewhere...

Apparently it's the RAC in New Jersey. The windows on the side (and I imagine the roof?) look pretty cool. 

Looks like the Nets played at least their first NJ season there and this was their first game of that season, 1977.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, B-Rich said:

spacer.png

18 hours ago, floydnimrod said:

Apparently it's the RAC in New Jersey. The windows on the side (and I imagine the roof?) look pretty cool. 

Looks like the Nets played at least their first NJ season there and this was their first game of that season, 1977.

The Nets played four seasons at Rutgers in Piscataway.

And yes, this is in the 1977-78 season, as that was the only year that Bob Carrington was with the team.

• Like 5

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

• 2 years later...

spacer.png

This takes me back to my childhood, even though I didn't see them in this 1st year of existence, but began seeing them the following year when they began play at the Superdome.

Note Pete Maravich wearing #44 before they changed the uniform number rules and he went with #7.

• Like 1

It is what it is.

On 10/20/2022 at 4:41 PM, B-Rich said:

spacer.png

This takes me back to my childhood, even though I didn't see them in this 1st year of existence, but began seeing them the following year when they began play at the Superdome.

Note Pete Maravich wearing #44 before they changed the uniform number rules and he went with #7.

Excuse my ignorance, but what uniform number rules?

• Like 1

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin