Rare NBA Getty Images, Google & Internet Find

1 hour ago, KittSmith_95 said:

john-havlicek-of-the-boston-celtics-cele

Image from 1977, not sure when. Just had to get in a pic of one of the most underrated players ever in John Havlicek. 

That's a DISGUSTING looking cake? I hope they didn't pay more than $5 for it. HAHA!

• Like 6

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

15 minutes ago, kimball said:

Speaking of the Nets. Are there any other teams in the NBA that ditched one design for another before coming back to the SAME design? And, I am not talking about the Jazz note logo because that jersey was modernized.

The Knicks went from the classic championship units to the navy-and-maroon set, then back a few years later.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Discogod said:

The Knicks went from the classic championship units to the navy-and-maroon set, then back a few years later.

That is true. Though the shorts did go through some various changes if I recall correctly (ie-Yankees NY, Yankee NY in apple logo, etc.). 

Seems like a New York thing with the Islanders, Giants and Jets doing the same thing.

And, I guess you can add the Rangers in there too after going to the shield logo for a few seasons.

• Like 3

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

17 hours ago, kimball said:

Speaking of the Nets. Are there any other teams in the NBA that ditched one design for another before coming back to the SAME design? And, I am not talking about the Jazz note logo because that jersey was modernized.

The Knicks did the same thing, in approximately the same seasons.  

They had the traditional uniforms up through 1978-79.

Image result for knicks marvin webster   Image result for knicks bob mcadoo

They then went to the style with the name "Knicks" and "New York" under the number in 1979-80.  (I must say that I like the contrasting numbers on the road.)

ray williams.jpg  Image result for knicks bill cartwright

Then, in 1983-84, the same season that the Nets returned to their classic uniforms, the Knicks did the same (with the addition of the number to the shorts, and the retention of the Yankee-style NY that they had introduced with the previous set).

[Edit: as @leopard88 mentioned, the NY logo actually came in with the traditional uniform, before the set with the name under the number, when it was placed inside an apple.]

Image result for knicks bernard king   Image result for knicks louis orr

[Edit - I didn't notice that @Discogod and @kimball had already provided this answer.]

• Like 3

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

22 hours ago, ImmortalChef said:

NBA all star game in the Houston Astrodome, circa. 1989

56498906.jpg

Here's another dome layout for basketball for the Kingdome.

75701529.jpg

• Like 2

kimball banner.png

Here are a few things I found in regards to the Sonics ...

The first couple seasons of the iconic Sonics arch uniforms featured different style #2s -- with slanted 2s on the road and block on the home jerseys. Also note the shorts numbers are both slanted. Also the logo on the road shorts would be reversed later in the 80s to match the home version.

500857874.jpg584181230.jpg

Small abnormality ... Gus Williams' #1 in the Bill Russell jerseys is pretty small compared to the regular numbers on the other jerseys. It seems like it was this way for a good chunk of the season in 1978. 

482821162.jpg143586625.jpg

Not sure if this is the preseason or not? But, Quintin Dailey's #20 is white with a gold outline instead of the other way around. Interesting nonetheless.

472253486.jpg

A blank #25 jersey worn by Jack Sikma -- I am assuming his #43 was lost, stolen or forgotten. I'm sure what the story is behind it or if it was during the Finals? But, I doubt that with all the blue seats in the background.

496866928.jpg

A fun photo of the Sonics' lone full-season in the Tacoma Dome (1994-95) while the Coliseum was renovated. They played a number of other games throughout the years at the Tacoma Dome, but I haven't found any pictures of those games. 

506079006.jpg

• Like 2

kimball banner.png

6 hours ago, IceBurgs70 said:

NBA Photos - 1960s - 1980s (1)

It's awesome to see a high quality picture of the Lakers playing at the LA Sports Arena. This picture could be from one of their many Finals encounters.

To add to the fun, check out the Boston Garden scoreboard!

657b38c2065008b3ee42d7a0e68296f5.jpg

• Like 6

bSLCtu2.png

18 hours ago, B-Rich said:

Butchleft.jpg

The very '70s fashion sense of drunkard head coach Butch Van Breda Kolff...

Butch was partial to crew neck sweaters when he coached at Lafayette during my time there in the 80s.  That was his second stint as head coach at Lafayette, the first being from 1951-55 (with Pete Carril playing as a senior the first year).  He also had two head coaching stints at Hofstra . . . both immediately following his stints at Lafayette.

7855426.jpeg?1340749920

15 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Image result for knicks marvin webster   Image result for knicks bob mcadoo

I don't think I've ever seen/noticed that NY/Apple logo before.

• Like 1

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

32 minutes ago, leopard88 said:
16 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Image result for knicks bob mcadoo

I don't think I've ever seen/noticed that NY/Apple logo before.

I have to admit that I didn't know about it, either, which is why I erroneously said that they introduced the Yankee-style NY in the next set.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chrispw12 said:

Jerry Tarkanian form his 20 game Spurs stint

tarklloyd.jpg

Side point:  I have never understood what happenned there.  College coaches such as Louie Carnesecca, Rick Pitino, P.J. Carlesimo (and even some non-Italians) have made the transition to the pros, even if they didn't prefer it.  Why did Tark flame out so spectacularly?  Baffling.

As promised, here's a few interesting pics:

1962-63 Syracuse Nationals team photo with a mismatched uni - there was no #3 on the Nats' roster that year, no idea who it is.

10559637193_32800bb3c0_b.jpg

More mismatched unis with the '50 & '57 Rochester Royals:

10559441014_89eda44b88_b.jpg

7008590549_6f3a893b9b_b.jpg

The Bucks' Mickey Johnson with a double-decker Full Name On Back (the Bucks also had Marques Johnson, so simply using an initial wouldn't have sufficed):

6149730639_11c10c5c10_o.jpg

A couple of pics of the '75 Warriors rare full name unis (and as a bonus, another shot of the first-year Jazz):

5937201048_95cda0b70d_o.jpg

5937200920_5da0f3e940_o.jpg

Some rare pics of the first year Buffalo Braves' home unis (with tail inconsistencies!):

5821391910_efda33c0fe_o.jpg

5821391836_abd6fa401a_b.jpg

5820829859_4026989eaf_b.jpg

5820829735_65e2dccb4b_b.jpg

5821391302_44dd63f586_b.jpg

Clyde Frazier during what I'm assuming is a Legends Game (interesting sidenote - the Legends game at All-Star Weekend featured the first cases of jersey ads in the modern era, being sponsored by Schick):

1597308.jpg

Odd numbers on the '97 Bullets (this was changed before the regular season started):

110328745.jpg

52474335.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Discogod said:

Odd numbers on the '97 Bullets (this was changed before the regular season started):

110328745.jpg

52474335.jpg

I noticed this on a number of preseason jerseys in the NBA in the mid-90s. The Jazz had white numbers in 94 or 95 -- and I believe Pistons did as well. I'l have to dig and see if I can find anything.

kimball banner.png

Here's a Knicks-Bullets game from the old Madison Square Garden. The caption noted this was taken between 1950-1952 so this is obviously the first version of the Baltimore Bullets that folded in 1952. Not sure why they folded, but I'm sure their sleeved jerseys had a lot to do with it. ;)

97260493.jpg

• Like 2

kimball banner.png

It's hard to find a picture of Rick Barry in a home Rockets jersey from his two year stint in Houston. But, I always loved that he wore different numbers. #2 for home games and #4 for road games, because his usual #24 was worn by Moses Malone. 

61717a_lg.jpeg51925880.jpg

kimball banner.png

On March 3, 2017 at 0:37 PM, kimball said:

A few things from the New Orleans Jazz that I found ...

I am trying to date this picture. I believe it's in 1974 -- the Jazz's inaugural season. The logo on the jersey is very simplified version (with no basketball in the note) of the team logo and from what I've seen has only been used on the road. As all of the home game pictures from 1974 (as seen below) are the refined and detailed logo. I'm not sure if this was a whole season thing or first couple of months, etc.?

490525924.jpg

A Jazz #12 before Stockton! That's what I find amazing! 

spacer.png

On March 2, 2017 at 7:43 PM, ImmortalChef said:

Eddie Jones in the 1995 Rookie Challenge, the jerseys were all the same design but with different team names, another picture from that game, and another rookie challenge with a whos who of players

74352077.jpg

See back then players on the same All-Star team can't have the same numbers.   This was the 1995 rookie game, J Kidd had dibs on #5 so Jalen Rose (Nuggets) had to wear #2 and Juwan Howard with the #32 - ironically J Kidd ended up wearing #32 and #2 over the course of his career!

• Like 1

spacer.png