Rare NBA Getty Images, Google & Internet Find

Going with the ABA theme a bit, here are a few things I found ...

I believe this was noted here or UniWatch -- I'll have to dig, but this is a game in 1967 (first year of the ABA) against the Pittsburgh Pipers (Connie Hawkins pictured) and the Indiana Pacers. The Pacers are in white tees because if I remember the story well enough they were lost or hadn't arrived yet? Not sure what the excuse for the Pittsburgh player's blank black jersey?

485147573.jpg

The caption notes that this is Doug Moe playing for the Carolina Cougars. Not sure why he's wearing a blank jersey -- or if it's the lighting? Doesn't look like a lighting washout to me. 

52631026.jpg

This was noted as Moses Malone's first professional basketball game (pre-season albeit). I'm not sure of the arena? Scope? Richmond? I'll have to dig. I am assuming it's in or near Virginia, the caption gave no clues to it. But, it is color vs. color!

Damn It.jpg

These are the Utah Stars' last jerseys before they folded that same season. I've seen the front of the jerseys, I had no idea they had the names under the number. Kinda cool find.

73767236.jpg

A rare sighting of a matching Memphis Tams jersey combo! 

51895398.jpg

• Like 1

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

1 hour ago, Frylock said:

Adding to the pre-1996 NBA throwbacks...

November 17, 1994 - Cleveland at Portland, celebrating each team's 25th season (Portland actually had a 25th Anniversary logo that year)

image.jpeg

Amazing! They even included the NBA 25th anniversary patch on the shorts!

Had no idea that this happened, and I've been researching NBA unis for 25+ years now - which I guess goes to show how poorly documented these things are. The only other game I know of was during the 1993-94 season, when the Celtics visited the Lakers. Both teams were supposed to wear throwbacks (I'm guessing 60s unis), but for whatever reason it never happened.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2017 at 1:51 PM, Discogod said:

Pre-1996 NBA throwback games:

2 December 1993, Supersonics at Bullets:

28290918952_ca09d12c9d_o.jpg

How do you throw back to these and manage to forget a column of stars on the shorts?

bullets-charles-johnson.jpgnba_g_1978finals_300.jpg

I will have to check out your article.  Orange seems dark as a home jersey, but the Univ. of Illinois has worn orange at home too.

On 3/7/2017 at 11:21 AM, kimball said:

Interesting piece on the Baltimore Bullets' 1968-69 home orange jersey. I didn't know that their orange jersey was designated as the home jersey. Makes sense with all of the color vs. color photos I've seen featuring the Bullets.  

• Like 1

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

28 minutes ago, Discogod said:

Amazing! They even included the NBA 25th anniversary patch on the shorts!

Had no idea that this happened, and I've been researching NBA unis for 25+ years now - which I guess goes to show how poorly documented these things are. The only other game I know of was during the 1993-94 season, when the Celtics visited the Lakers. Both teams were supposed to wear throwbacks (I'm guessing 60s unis), but for whatever reason it never happened.

The Blazers did a fantastic job with the uniforms. My personal memory from that game was that it was back when the team did pay-per-view for their home games. Keep in mind they were running a multi-season long sellout streak, so PPV was a legit option for fans. I paid for the game that night, and I taped it. I'm sure I've got the tape somewhere in a box - would love to transfer it to digital at some time.

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

3 hours ago, kimball said:

This was noted as Moses Malone's first professional basketball game (pre-season albeit). I'm not sure of the arena? Scope? Richmond? I'll have to dig. I am assuming it's in or near Virginia, the caption gave no clues to it. But, it is color vs. color!

Damn It.jpg

It's the Virginia Squires.  They played all over the place in VA although mostly out of ODU (Norfolk).  They also played in  Richmond, Hampton,. and Roanoke during their 6 season existence, although they stopped playing in Roanoke after the first couple years I think.  That's definitely their road jersey from 74-75 (home jerseys said "Squires" on it). Venue would be tough to nail down since pics are scarce from that timeframe. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Frylock said:

Adding to the pre-1996 NBA throwbacks...

November 17, 1994 - Cleveland at Portland, celebrating each team's 25th season (Portland actually had a 25th Anniversary logo that year)

image.jpeg

I vaguely remember this happening a few seasons afterwards with the Blazers and Cavs' 77 jerseys. I'll have to dig some, but I could be thinking of this game as well and mixing up the eras.

Also, I believe this is the only time the Blazers have thrown back to this jersey ... most have been to the '77 championship jerseys.

• Like 1

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

5 hours ago, kimball said:

Going with the ABA theme a bit, here are a few things I found ...

Damn It.jpg

That's the Salt Palace, Salt Lake City...

48 minutes ago, MadmanLA said:

That's the Salt Palace, Salt Lake City...

No, it's not the Salt Palace. Here is the Salt Palace is the '70s and it didn't change much when the Jazz played there either.

108788084.jpg

kimball banner.png

6 hours ago, kimball said:

Damn It.jpg

Okay, I am trying to confirm with an era apprioriate photo -- still looking. But, this looks like Richmond Coliseum based off what I found online from a current picture. Sure, it's gone under a number of renovations, but you'll notice supporting beams. It looks like the panels were replaced and some seating added.

Arena-Racing-Track-at-Richmond-Coliseum.jpg

kimball banner.png

2 minutes ago, goalieboy82 said:

i think the Virginia Squires could have work out (also the Kentucky Colonels).  

Image result for virginia squires team

Related image

I'm not sure about the Squires? But, the Colonels definitely could have. Both both worries back them were closeness to other markets Squires (Bullets) and Colonels (Pacers and Cavaliers). 

I'm pulling for a Louisville team in the NBA though.

kimball banner.png

Just now, kimball said:

I'm not sure about the Squires? But, the Colonels definitely could have. Both both worries back them were closeness to other markets Squires (Bullets) and Colonels (Pacers and Cavaliers). 

I'm pulling for a Louisville team in the NBA though.

would also like this team back:

Image result for pittsburgh condors aba

• Like 1

so long and thanks for all the fish.

Interesting seeing the Warriors play in their home golds on the road. Not sure why? But, could because of a doubleheader weekend or something? Either way -- I love these jerseys. Very underrated, especially color wise.

81727605.jpg451091213.jpg

kimball banner.png