Rare NBA Getty Images, Google & Internet Find

Also, team pictures are a dying art. I found these few and I have to say ... I like! Especially the Sonics street car picture.

sonics-team-photo.jpg

tumblr_m5923h64ib1qm9rypo1_1280.jpg

57369390_10----130924-alltimegal.jpg

1976.jpg

• Like 2

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

2 hours ago, sharplcd said:

I love this thread! I gotta add some rare "one-time matchups" due to some alternate uniforms first introduced in the 90's.

486269175.jpg

51534869.jpg

467556741.jpg

1) I love those pinstripe Bulls jerseys. Classy.

2) I never hated those red Sonics jerseys, but I am glad they went back to the Green and Gold.

3) I absolutely hated those Pistons red jerseys. Of that set -- I love the teal. It was probably the best they ever looked.

• Like 1

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

On 3/8/2017 at 11:35 AM, kimball said:

Going with the ABA theme a bit, here are a few things I found ...

The caption notes that this is Doug Moe playing for the Carolina Cougars. Not sure why he's wearing a blank jersey -- or if it's the lighting? Doesn't look like a lighting washout to me. 

This was noted as Moses Malone's first professional basketball game (pre-season albeit). I'm not sure of the arena? Scope? Richmond? I'll have to dig. I am assuming it's in or near Virginia, the caption gave no clues to it. But, it is color vs. color!

Damn It.jpg

These are the Utah Stars' last jerseys before they folded that same season. I've seen the front of the jerseys, I had no idea they had the names under the number. Kinda cool find.

That's the Richmond Coliseum.  I watched many a game there back in the day.

• Like 1

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

38 minutes ago, ImmortalChef said:

Why were the Hawks in London?

London Games in 1993. They played the Magic during the preseason.

gettyimages-243043.jpg57369388.jpggettyimages-57515096.jpg

• Like 1

kimball banner.png

12 hours ago, kimball said:

I never realized this ... about the Sonics.

Back in the late '70s the Washington Bullets and Seattle Sonics met in back-to-back Finals. The Bullets won in 1978 and the Sonics in 1979. What I never noticed was the Sonics' uniforms between the two Finals. 

I knew the Sonics' jerseys in 1978 were the Bill Russell Celtic-inspired jerseys, but those were apparently just for the road! They wore the familiar arched "Sonics" jerseys at home. 

Here is a shot from Game 6 in 1978.

85948364.jpg

And, here is a picture of Game 7 in 1978.

98822335.jpg

The following year the Sonics added a matching road jersey. As evidenced by the this picture from the 1979 Finals ...

630617474.jpg

This really kind of blew my mind, because I just always assumed that the Sonics wore the same template jersey for both home and road. I know the Sonics wore similar home jerseys to the 1978 road jerseys as seen here (at least the year before -- with NY Nets jersey) ...

81006087.jpgSonics 74 Home Spencer Haywood, Topps.jpg

Does anyone have any information on that timeline? I'm going to dig a bit deeper, but I thought I'd put this out there to see if there is anything someone else knows more readily. 

I don't have the exact dates in front of me, but the Sonics introduced the Celtics-esque design when Bill Russell took over as coach in 1975. In 1977 they changed the home unis to the arch design whilst keeping the previous road unis, then introduced a matching road uni in 1978.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Discogod said:

I don't have the exact dates in front of me, but the Sonics introduced the Celtics-esque design when Bill Russell took over as coach in 1975. In 1977 they changed the home unis to the arch design whilst keeping the previous road unis, then introduced a matching road uni in 1978.

Perfect. Thank you. That was what I was getting from what I researched. 

I wonder why they did the mismatch? 

kimball banner.png

16 minutes ago, kimball said:

Perfect. Thank you. That was what I was getting from what I researched. 

I wonder why they did the mismatch? 

This sort of home-road mismatch was repeated by the Mets in 1982 and 1983.  The Mets brought in the racing stripe on the road in 1982.  Here is Joel Youngblood, seen in the road uniform in his last at-bat as a Met in 1982 before his trade to Montreal, alongside Craig Swan shown in the home uniform used from 1978 through 1982.

youngblood.png   Image result for craig swan mets 1982

The racing stripe came in at home the following year, 1983.

• Like 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

The Clippers did a similar thing during the last couple of San Diego years, introducing a new home uni a year before introducing the corresponding road uni (or unis in this case, as they used 2 different coloured road unis that year). The Bucks were another team to stagger the introduction of new home & road unis in the mid 70s, before introducing the first version of the Irish Rainbow unis. The Knicks also introduced their classic home unis a year before wearing the roads..I believe the 76ers did the same thing a few times too, although the Sixers' uni history is a convoluted clusterf*** that I haven't been able to get to the bottom of yet.

• Like 2

On 3/2/2017 at 9:39 PM, kimball said:

OLD TIMER CELTICS GAME -- 1985ish? Crappy uniforms. They all look like the cheap replicas.

Pacers vs. Bulls game that looks to being played in Univ. of Indiana's Assembly Hall. Not sure of the reason behind this?

476501191.jpg

Probably a preseason game, but I think they prefer the name "Indiana University."

16 hours ago, sayahh said:

Probably a preseason game, but I think they prefer the name "Indiana University."

OOOOOOH ... they're one of THOSE schools.

kimball banner.png

Interesting find ...

Noticed the blue in the middle of the O's and D in Orlando (bottom photo), it seems like this was only done in the 1990-91 season. I am assuming this might be because of the switch to Champion that the NBA made that year (when you put into account the slight differences to Boston and Utah's jerseys for the first couple of months). 

The photo on the right is from the Sacramento Kings game on April 11th (according to the caption) so that'd kind of debunk it happening earlier in the season.

But, everything else that I've seen the norm for these Magic jerseys is the first picture -- without the blue. 

479832550.jpg493749654.jpg

• Like 2

kimball banner.png

I know the San Francisco Warriors played in a number of Bay Area and other neutral courts before moving into the Oakland Coliseum full-time. But, this is somewhat of a rare sight seeing the original 'THE CITY' jerseys in the Oakland Coliseum.

507412332.jpg

• Like 1

kimball banner.png

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 3:13 PM, kimball said:

I know the San Francisco Warriors played in a number of Bay Area and other neutral courts before moving into the Oakland Coliseum full-time. But, this is somewhat of a rare sight seeing the original 'THE CITY' jerseys in the Oakland Coliseum.

507412332.jpg

For its time, that center-hung scoreboard was bad-ass...that Oakland Tribune logo, though, looks a like a logo for one of those regional bread brands.

It's something about those old NBA/ABA arenas that have a certain type of character that the newer arenas lack...

• Like 5

5 hours ago, MadmanLA said:

For its time, that center-hung scoreboard was bad-ass...that Oakland Tribune logo, though, looks a like a logo for one of those regional bread brands.

It's something about those old NBA/ABA arenas that a certain type of character that the newer arenas lack...

I miss the Forum.  It's back as a concert arena, but no longer home to the Lakers/Kings/Clippers/Sparks.

On 16.03.2017 at 11:07 PM, kimball said:

Noticed the blue in the middle of the O's and D in Orlando (bottom photo), it seems like this was only done in the 1990-91 season. I am assuming this might be because of the switch to Champion that the NBA made that year (when you put into account the slight differences to Boston and Utah's jerseys for the first couple of months).

That happens also before Champion, and this was because in pre-champion years Magic wordmarks is fully sewed, in champion era only stars were sewed and rest are painted onto jersey :)

Here are jerseys from sandknit:

$_57.JPG

il_fullxfull.410831928_lg6i.jpg

• Like 1

4r2eer.png