The Most Satisfying

CS85

So I was watching this Taj Gibson bomb:

And it got me wondering, what is the most satisfying moment in sports?  I'm not talking about "WINNING A CHAMPIONSHIP OMG" or signing a big name free agent, drafting somebody, I'm talking about the visual satisfaction of a player smashing a dramatic home run, nailing a buzzer beater in the clutch, hitting a hole in one, a sick one-timer, etc. 

Gifs, videos, etc, let's media up this thread.  I'll provide some examples:

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good topic. IDK why this random walk off home run from the worst season of baseball ever was the first thing that came to mind, but the way he made contact was so pure. Like he was just swinging his bat and the ball happened to get in the way. Nothing but sweet spot. Those are my favorite kind of home runs. Also it beat the Cardinals and that's always satisfying. 

My favorite hockey gifs are the seeing eye passes from defensemen deep in their own zones to catch a forward on a breakaway

DefensivePoshIridescentshark.gif

PvO6ZWJ.png

That Gibson shot is amazing...the  pass by Portland is very low risk. The most likely scenario is that nobody scores but the offense is more like to score than the defense.

For me (assuming I am team-neutral, of course) it's the NCAA tournament buzzer beater.  Bryce Drew.  Christian Laettner.*  Tyus Edny.  And a plethora of others.  It's what makes March so much fun.  1A is post-season (college or pro) OT goals in hockey...particularly deciding games (i.e., single-eliminations or game 7s). Smaller moments include base hits (incl homers) by pitchers, goalie assists, and no-look passes.  I had trouble coming up with anything from football.  Maybe TD passes from non-QBs or successful fake punts/FGs.  FAKE EDIT: Actually, I have one play in particular...the Boise State "Statue of Liberty" 2-point conversion.  Little school gets a win by "going for the win" against the big school and the play was a thing of beauty.

*I liked Duke in those days.  I think for the blue and white uniforms.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Watching that smartass Cowboy get taken down when he tried celebrating a Touchdown before he got in the endzone,

Fly Eagles Fly, on the road to victory...

Philadelphia Eagles: NFL Champions in 1948, 1949, 1960, Super Bowl Champions in 2017-18. Philadelphia Phillies: World Series Champions in 1980 and 2008. Philadelphia 76ers: NBA Champions in 1966-67 and 1982-83. Philadelphia Flyers: Stanley Cup Champions in 1973-74, 1974-75

31 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Good topic. IDK why this random walk off home run from the worst season of baseball ever was the first thing that came to mind, but the way he made contact was so pure. Like he was just swinging his bat and the ball happened to get in the way. Nothing but sweet spot. Those are my favorite kind of home runs. Also it beat the Cardinals and that's always satisfying. 

UNF the sound of the bat.

89yjoh6.jpg

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

27 minutes ago, Foxxtrot44 said:

Ha, I love it.  The look on his face is great.  It's that glimmer of sheer joy when the game makes everybody a kid again for just a moment.

twitter

This one is a personal favorite of mine, since I was sitting in the upper deck at Yankee Stadium for it. 

April 19, 2007: the Yanks are down 6-2 against Cleveland heading into the bottom of the ninth. Obviously the entire Stadium is assuming if the Yanks will go down quietly and lose the game. Josh Phelps homered to make it 6-3, and then Posada singled to bring back up the top of the lineup. The Yanks proceeded to put together a rally to come within one run, with two men on and two outs. 

Then Alex Rodriguez, in the middle of the absolute best month of his entire career, does this:

They were literally strangers falling over each other, hugging people around them randomly. Random game in the middle of April, and everyone who was there lost their minds. I've been to plenty of ballgames around the country, probably my absolute favorite memory from any of them.

I'm petty, so my answer is any time Tom Brady is intercepted or sacked.

I also like when Steph Curry misses three pointers, though he hasn't actually done anything to deserve that kind of reflexive hate; Steph is a good guy and it's not his fault he became the avatar of Silicon Valley vultures.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2007. 0-4 without a goal scored yet.

Then this:

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Speaking of hits, I think a guy getting murdered with a concussion level hit isn't that great, but a clean, satisfying hit is definitely awesome.  More submissions:

Giordano smashing Dustin Brown:  https://streamable.com/vpc95

Kenny Bell laying a dude out:

twitter

From personal experience, I'd tried and failed for years to get a bat-in goal in hockey (not like a deflection, but like bat the ball [inline hockey] out of the air). When I finally got one, I literally swung my stick like a baseball bat and knocked the :censored: out of the ball (easily a line-drive double to the gap), right into the top of the net. It was the most satisfying goal I've ever had.

Also, as an outfielder, I absolutely love diving catches. This one stands out to me, partially because this guy was my idol.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 3/3/2017 at 3:17 PM, KittSmith_95 said:

How has Koo not been brung up yet? The guy had never swung a bat in his life, and he rips a double off Randy :censored: Johnson. 

He also ran the bases with a weighted ball in his pocket. Suck it, DH people.

Archived