SplashBoogie

The Colorado Rockies changing their primary logo from the mountains to the interlocking CR is a lateral move for a brand than needs to be refreshed. The core concept is strong but it definitely feels dated. So here's my swing (sorry) at a Rockies update.

rockies2.png

Silver is eliminated from the logo and purple takes center stage. The mountains are cleaned up while still feeling rugged. The proportions of the new logo and the old are almost exactly the same--I designed the new logo on top of the old one--but the half roundel is thinned and the ball is given a clear launching direction, breaking through the atomosphere. I designed a purple monochrome version of this logo which I think looks better, but since I do plan to use black in the uniforms , I felt it'd be better to have black feature in the logo as well.

rockies5.png

My biggest complaint of the Rockies current set is that awful font. I hate how it looks like the CR is silver with a too thick black inner outline. The new CR originally had a black outline but thinking on some classic hats (Yankees, Dodgers, Reds) a solid color on a contrasting color looks great by itself. Again, in addition to refreshing the look, the goal is to make the new bold purple the main character. Proportionally the new CR is just a little taller than the old.

rockies4.png

Wordmarks use the same fonts as the primary and don't look like a too thick black inner outline was applied. Cool!

Uniforms coming soon but here we are!

rockies_7.pngrockies8.pngrockies2_mono.png

tumblr_p3eoj4gyq71ufhi8uo1_1280.png

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

For the size of the baseball in your concept, I think it needs more detailed stitching.  I understand not wanting to make it so detailed that it would be difficult to reproduce at smaller sizes, but it seems large enough that the stitching at smaller sizes shouldn't be affected.  As it stands now, it looks too much like a tennis ball. 

I also think changing the color of Colorado from purple to black would achieve a greater color balance in the logo.  I saw you want to incorporate purple more heavily into their identity though, which is the correct thing to do, so I would have to see the uniforms (if you are making any) and to what extent you are phasing out the black to be sure that it's the right call. 

One more minor gripe:  my eye is drawn to the right leg of the R and that weird little curve in the bottom left corner.  It seems to throw off the flow of the letter, so maybe making that a 90 degree angle instead might be better. 

Edits time. Starting with the monogram: I went back to the original monogram because while the tweak made the CR more clear, applying it to the entire wordmark...

rockies4-wmedit.png

The effect isn't better if you round out the bottom left tails and if you decide to block everything I think you really lose the individuality of this font.

That said, I decided in finalizing the sets, I do prefer the purple and white color so I pulled black completely and we are now here:

rockiesfullset.png

I am a personal fan of jerseys like the White Sox,Yankees and the Reds that have their logo on the left side and I wanted Colorado to mimic that. I decided on a vest look with purple sleeves to guarantee no-matter home or road the signature purple would still be a prominent feature. Of course the other side to teams like the ChiSox, Yankees and Reds is that I'm not a huge fan of pinstripes and I thought have the double stripe on the pant and striping on the front was a cleaner way to add some pop to the jerseys.

Purple alts coming soon

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

I'm not a big fan of the new monogram, especially the gap between the C and R.  Did you consider maybe just having a C?  It's such a thick font that I think just having a C would fill plenty of space on the hat.  Not exactly in love with the font though.

Love dropping black completely, good call.

Like the overall uniform aesthetic.

On the word mark, the spacing in the ROCKIES is really bothering me, it rather looks more like R O CKIES to me.  

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

38 minutes ago, The Impaler said:

I'm not a big fan of the new monogram, especially the gap between the C and R.  Did you consider maybe just having a C?  It's such a thick font that I think just having a C would fill plenty of space on the hat.  Not exactly in love with the font though.

Love dropping black completely, good call.

Like the overall uniform aesthetic.

On the word mark, the spacing in the ROCKIES is really bothering me, it rather looks more like R O CKIES to me.  

I agree with your opinion on the thick font, but only a "C" for the Colorado Rockies would not distinguish them anymore from venerable clubs like the Cubs, the Reds or Cleveland, teams which all have C's as initial logos on their caps or batting helmets. I guess that was the reason why the Rockies chose "CR" back in 1993.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

1 hour ago, Go Red Sox! said:

I agree with your opinion on the thick font, but only a "C" for the Colorado Rockies would not distinguish them anymore from venerable clubs like the Cubs, the Reds or Cleveland, teams which all have C's as initial logos on their caps or batting helmets. I guess that was the reason why the Rockies chose "CR" back in 1993.

What if he just used an "R" instead of a "C?"

hatscomparison.png

I think the CR is the best. The C isn't distinct enough to stand by itself. It feels too similar to Cleveland's. The R is better but I still feel it's too plain.

rockiesfullset.png

On 3/7/2017 at 9:03 PM, bradsbeard said:

Going all purple was an improvement. But, I did like the double arch on the original logo, and since you have the same double stripe on the pants, I would think putting it back into the logo would make the pants stripe make more sense. 

I agree and as such the double arch is back.

14 hours ago, The Impaler said:

Yeah I did a justified align on both and while it worked for COLORADO, because of the shapes of the letters even though the spacing is the same between the letters, it does look like there's extra space by the O. So ROCKIES is now a Center Align.

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

Archived