2017 MLS Kit Matchups

upperV03

It seems as though the MLS site will be posting the kit matchups for each game this season, so I thought it'd be a good opportunity to start a thread dedicated to just that. Feel free to comment your thoughts about each matchup from week to week, and don't hesitate to post any pictures of the matchups either. I'll do my best to post the kit lineup charts for each game as soon as they become available.

Here are the matchups from the opening week thus far:

Friday 3/3

IMG_2953.PNG

Saturday 3/4IMG_2969.JPGIMG_2970.JPGIMG_2971.JPGIMG_2972.JPGIMG_2973.JPGIMG_2974.JPG

IMG_2975.JPG

And just a quick housekeeping note; the keeper kits in the lineup charts are not accurate, so this is what you can actually expect to see:

IMG_2976.JPG

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^I'm sure green vs. gray could've worked, but the league probably prefers to have road teams wear the kit that allows for maximum contrast. Either that or they want the road teams to wear their secondary kits as much as possible, which could explain Chicago wearing their grays today against Columbus. I'm suspecting the Timbers will wear their Rose City reds in Minnesota later this season for those two reasons.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Perhaps it's homerism on my part, but DC United's primary kit is the best in MLS. Don't quite understand all the hoopla about Portland's this season.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

2 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Perhaps it's homerism on my part, but DC United's primary kit is the best in MLS. Don't quite understand all the hoopla about Portland's this season.

I think Portland's just looks more classy, especially with the gold accents. DC's is clean, don't get me wrong, but it's just a plain black kit with red accents.

Based on the kits this weekend I think Colorado, Portland, DC, Columbus and Chicago are a cut above the rest. 

Watching the NE kits in action I was really bothered that both sleeves were white. If they had done either sleeve (but preferable the sleeve opposite to the red on the body) in red it would've been a much improved look. They also should have had a split back and blue adidas stripes on the shoulders.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

7 hours ago, joob said:

I think Portland's just looks more classy, especially with the gold accents. DC's is clean, don't get me wrong, but it's just a plain black kit with red accents.

One could argue that Portland has a plain green kit with gold accents.

Random thoughts:

- San Jose's kit design seemed like a great idea, except for the fact that you can barely see it. It's just not as well executed in action as I would've hoped. And I think it'd look better (and less Montreal-ish) if they wore blue shorts instead.

- Colorado's socks really make that uniform. Absolutely love 'em. 

- Columbus' checker side panel running right into the adidas stripes on the shorts is bugging the crap out of me. Count me as one of the few who don't like it at all. They'd have been better off just keeping it all plain yellow (it's a distinctive enough look as it is). And, while Acura isn't a bad sponsor logo, Barbasol looked better. It was one of my favorite sponsor logos in soccer and I definitely miss it.

- I'm not a fan of Toronto's blue shorts or accent on the shirt. Yeah, I get it, "blue is a Toronto color", but the kit looks better suited for Dallas or something. Replace all the blue with dark grey, though, and you've really got something. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

The kit lineup charts for today's matches have yet to be posted, but here's what I suspect we'll be seeing:

NYCFC at Orlando:

IMG_2998.JPG

IMG_2999.JPG

NYCFC could also go with the navy shorts, but I think they'll go with white for maximum contrast.

NYRB at Atlanta:

IMG_3001.JPG

IMG_3002.JPG

NYRB could theoretically wear their navy and yellow secondary kit, but they're usually pretty insistent on wearing their primary kit as much as possible. Plus, it should contrast just fine with Atlanta's home kit.

Philadelphia at Vancouver:

IMG_3003.JPG

IMG_3004.JPG

This one is pretty straightforward.

If/when the kit lineup charts become available, I'll post them here so we can get confirmation and a look at the keeper and ref kits as well.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

The kit lineup charts were finally posted to the MLS site, so we now have confirmation.

IMG_3005.PNGIMG_3006.PNGIMG_3007.PNG

Interesting how the keeper and ref kits in the Orlando/NYCFC graphic are the ones actually in use this season, but the ones from last season have been shown in every other kit matchup chart thus far. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Question. I've been watching MLS all weekend and noticed that some players wear long sleeved jerseys, while others wear short sleeved jerseys with a long sleeved athletic shirt underneath (whether it's compression fit or loose fit). Why is it that? Seems odd to me (never played organized soccer). Do long sleeve jerseys have a different feel to the body than that of a long sleeved under shirt?

When I say athletic shirt, I mean like Under Armour or any other brand of fitness clothing you may see at a gym or athletic event. Don't know the generic term for that.

28 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Question. I've been watching MLS all weekend and noticed that some players wear long sleeved jerseys, while others wear short sleeved jerseys with a long sleeved athletic shirt underneath (whether it's compression fit or loose fit). Why is it that? Seems odd to me (never played organized soccer). Do long sleeve jerseys have a different feel to the body than that of a long sleeved under shirt?

When I say athletic shirt, I mean like Under Armour or any other brand of fitness clothing you may see at a gym or athletic event. Don't know the generic term for that.

I think it's really just dependent on the preferences of each individual. My high school team had both long and short sleeved jerseys and I generally preferred wearing the long sleeved jersey rather than the short sleeved version with a long sleeved baselayer underneath. Having said that, many of my teammates were the opposite. I generally found that the long sleeved jersey provided some more warmth than its short sleeved counterpart, but still allowed for plenty of breathability and air circulation. On the contrary, the short sleeved jersey with a long sleeved baselayer underneath provided a little bit more warmth than the long sleeved version, but allowed for less breathability.

To put it another way, if it were around 75 degrees outside I would still be able to play with a long sleeved jersey due to its relatively loose fit and breathability, but I would have a very hard time doing the same with a long sleeved baselayer underneath a short sleeved jersey. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Here's how today's matchups looked in action:

IMG_3010.JPGIMG_3011.JPGIMG_3012.JPG

NYCFC at Orlando was an incredible looking matchup. When paired with the white shorts, I think NYCFC's new kit is near the top of the league, and Orlando's isn't too far behind. Atlanta's primary is certainly up there as well.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

8 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

To me it depends on how tight the long sleeves are. If that particular jersey is loose I'll wear the undershirts. Granted I wear short sleeve undershirts with either style jersey.

I think this is it - many players always wear compression-style shirts under their jerseys, so it makes sense for them to make that the long sleeve. 

However, I have to differ - I feel that the white shorts ruin an amazing look for NYCFC. There's no white anywhere else either on the shirt or the socks, so it looks incredibly out of place. Although when paired with Orlando's kit (which I am actually warming up to a ton, and I bought one last night), the simple light blue vs purple look is incredible. 

ExJworW.png

Holy cow, that NYCFC/Orlando matchup looked gorgeous.  I'll admit to being biased, but every change we made from last year was a huge upgrade. 

As for the Red Bulls match, Andrew Das of the New York Times said it best:

Ouch.

What at a gut-punch for those of us hoping the MetroStars uniforms might come back as a clash or third kit. 

Archived