2017 MLS Kit Matchups

upperV03

6 hours ago, zigbazah said:

I think it's safe to say the new brand helped generate even more buzz to go along with the new stadium. I remember Robb Heineman saying on the first night Sporting Park was open, they sold more jerseys than all off the previous season. The team wasn't good at that point, so I'm not sure how many people would buy a Wizards jersey just because of a new stadium. 

New jerseys almost always sell well.  That's the point of new jerseys.

1 hour ago, Red Wolf said:

While there are often still references to the Wizards name (the supporters section is still called the Cauldron), I don't get the feeling that any of the fanbase would actually want to go back to that name.

Worth pointing out that the Cauldron is run entirely by supporters.  Not that we can draw too much from that, but the fanbase hasn't rebranded to match the team.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Worth pointing out that the Cauldron is run entirely by supporters.  Not that we can draw too much from that, but the fanbase hasn't rebranded to match the team.

Sure, but when you have a great name, may as well keep it. I guess they could have changed it to the Sportos. 

Just one midweek match to report on, and it was a repeat of an earlier kit matchup from this season. All-yellow for Columbus vs all-red for Toronto, with Columbus' keepers in green and Toronto's in black. Refs were in blue. Sadly, no graphic once again. Let's hope the league gets its act together with regards to that.

IMG_4025.JPG.0894ed038d8302c0a294c6920316178f.JPG

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

No graphic, but here's how Houston/Vancouver looked tonight:

IMG_4076.JPG.9d12c20d26069dbe25ee801cd1d61ad7.JPG

For the record, Houston's keepers were in green, Vancouver's were in black, and the refs were in yellow. This game is another instance where some navy clash shorts for Vancouver would do wonders. I was actually somewhat expecting them to wear their secondaries tonight, but obviously they wore the primaries instead. It's too bad because their secondaries would've contrasted better than the all-whites. Choosing to go with the primaries means Vancouver is still the only team who's yet to deviate from their first choice look this season. Hope that changes soon because I'm getting sick of those bland white kits.

As far as the rest of the games this weekend go, these are the only graphics that have been posted so far. I'll keep checking the MLS site for the rest, and I'll post them here when I have a chance.

IMG_4069.JPG.91404e9d4275d4f633e3bda42afa4e79.JPGIMG_4070.JPG.9affc36ac6fcefe395657e6cc0a6e75d.JPGIMG_4071.JPG.958d61919637f116774d182fc6f47ed4.JPG

All three of these games should look pretty good. It's a shame Atlanta and Portland both have dark primaries and can't wear them against eachother (they could if the Timbers wore the white clash shorts and socks, but that seems to be just a road thing). It still should be a beautiful matchup, as should the other two. It'll be nice to see the navy shorts for NYCFC again since they've worn the white shorts all but once this season (not counting the Parley game). And Orlando/SKC will look pretty similar to the Orlando/NYCFC game from Week One, but maybe not quite as nice since SKC's primaries aren't as nice as NYCFC's. Also, no more "bah" blue for NYCFC! Glad the league is starting to show some competence, except for, you know, not being able to post the graphics consistently.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I actually like this matchup of Atlanta wearing their away kits against Portland. For some reason, it's not even setting off my usual weird peeve, where I hate when socks match the shorts but not the shirt.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

31 minutes ago, Digby said:

I actually like this matchup of Atlanta wearing their away kits against Portland. For some reason, it's not even setting off my usual weird peeve, where I hate when socks match the shorts but not the shirt.

It is a very nice matchup. I kind of wish this game was being played in Atlanta just to see what it would look like with the Timbers in their green/white/white look and Atlanta in their striped kits. The Timbers will very likely have a white, or at least light colored secondary next year, so we may never get to see the two clubs square off in their current primaries. Shame, but this is still a very nice affair.

IMG_4103.thumb.JPG.00d82311817b1789101f140bfbf71905.JPG

Also, it's worth noting that the refs ended up wearing red rather than the yellow that was shown in the graphic. Really odd choice considering Atlanta's red shorts and socks.

And as far as the other games go, I'm still working on collecting images of all the games as well as the keeper and ref kits that were worn in each game. The league never did post the rest of the graphics, so I'll try and collect all of the data and images from the weekend's matchups and post them tonight or tomorrow.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Sure did.

NYCvFCD.thumb.jpg.c969e5e378fd32eb8b6db99c67aecb29.jpg

I love the purity of blue versus red.  The only thing that could make it better would be Dallas bringing back their red and white hoops (but real hoops, which I'm not sure they've ever had).

I have become a fan of the white shorts, but this is a great look for New York City.

blueshorts.thumb.jpg.53f339c3c4e74ca76cbfaf4005aaeec1.jpg

FC Dallas/NYCFC was indeed a fantastic looking matchup, and probably the best of the weekend. Montreal/Columbus was another terrific looking matchup, and I'd say it was a close second to the aforementioned game in Dallas. Neither was quite as good as NYCFC/ATLUTD last week (IMO), but both were still two of the better looking games of the year so far. Here's how all of the games from this weekend looked, with the keeper and ref kits tracked for the matches that didn't have a graphic posted.

Montreal vs. Columbus:

IMG_4094.thumb.JPG.9802def729ea255e4201919c23203132.JPG

Keeper kits: black (Montreal) vs. green (Columbus)

Refs: red

Orlando vs. SKC:

IMG_4095.thumb.JPG.5e0eb1c0c15f97bcb45916ecb8e7a38b.JPG

Toronto vs. Minnesota:

IMG_4097.JPG.f6b7214bf1e55fa5e481e2ec5670e6cd.JPG

Keeper kits: black (Toronto) vs. light blue (Minnesota)

Refs: yellow

Colorado vs. SJ:

IMG_4100.JPG.f1de41273559b82a0c98d16a3a555ede.JPG

Keeper kits: black (Colorado) vs. light blue (SJ)

New England vs. RSL:

IMG_4101.PNG.cdbab6835f71aec509143bbb86f2dc1f.PNG

Keeper kits: light blue (New England) vs. green (RSL)

DCU vs. Philadelphia:

IMG_4102.PNG.568a77dd741b4b1e9d33b88c118492e0.PNG

Keeper kits: red (DCU) vs. green (Philadelphia)

Portland vs. Atlanta:

IMG_4105.thumb.JPG.21384bbb75ee53128a56b074ca7d92e1.JPG

As I mentioned earlier, the refs were actually in red in this matchup, instead of the yellow that the graphic showed. Everything else from the graphic was accurate.

FCD vs. NYCFC:

IMG_4132.JPG.bafca0d80612a2ef7ff450059e5089c2.JPG

Chicago vs. Seattle:

IMG_4134.thumb.PNG.ac84a5fab11af764b70c40938bd038c6.PNG

Keeper kits: light blue (Chicago) vs. black (Seattle)

NYRB vs. LA:

IMG_4136.thumb.JPG.f235f14788707eae1cc41d1396f59cb0.JPG

Keeper kits: light blue (NYRB) vs. green (LA)

Aside from Dallas/NYCFC and Montreal/Columbus, I thought Portland/Atlanta and Orlando/SKC were two pretty good looking games as well. The others ranged from decent to boring. DCU/Philadelphia was particularly boring, and also a repeat of a previous matchup from this season.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

^Yeah, I'd say unfortunate is being kind. It was tough to watch at times with all of that blue and both teams in light colored shorts. Of all the teams for Seattle to wear their third kit against, they just had to pick SKC. Really poor decision on their part, especially when the primary kit, even if they went with the green shorts and blue socks like they so often do on the road, would've contrasted just fine with SKC's light blue/white/light blue.

But anyways, here's how all five of the midweek matchups looked, with the keeper and ref kits tracked since the league didn't post any of the graphics:

Philadelphia vs. Houston:

IMG_4223.thumb.JPG.dd74a7141c5b7ce3a8d0e1bad9174fe5.JPG

Keeper kits: white (Philadelphia) vs. green (Houston)

Chicago vs. Colorado:

IMG_4225.JPG.9b0b1f6f8f774cee3ad1e44dd33cf49b.JPG

Keeper kits: black (Chicago) vs. white (Colorado)

Refs: light blue

SKC vs. Seattle:

IMG_4229.JPG.748cb57fd14c866047ea7db427ed5f21.JPG

Keeper kits: green (SKC) vs. red (Seattle)

RSL vs. NYCFC:

IMG_4237.thumb.JPG.8682f1124e2e7bb78099bbdc54c953a0.JPG

Keeper kits: black (RSL) vs. green (NYCFC)

San Jose vs. Orlando:

IMG_4238.JPG.a0fdabe4e2e33601019041e883befc47.JPG

Keeper kits: light blue (San Jose) vs. green (Orlando)

Aside from Seattle stupidly deciding to go with their third kits, there wasn't really any other surprises yesterday. Chicago/Colorado was probably my favorite of the bunch as there was just something so inherently satisfying about the matchup between the primary colors, as well as the black and white keeper kits. RSL/NYCFC was another really good looking game, even though I'm not a huge fan of RSL's current primary kits. NYCFC was in the navy shorts again, presumably because they only wanted to pack one pair of shorts for their current road trip and because of the quick turnaround from the Dallas game. It was still a really nice looking game with a terrific contrast of colors. Lastly, Philadelphia/Houston and San Jose/Orlando both didn't look bad, but neither was anything special. At least they were both significantly better than SKC/Seattle.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I didn't think SEA/SKC was that bad. SKC's new home is so light as to almost look like an all-white kit, and Seattle's light blue shorts are so saturated that I didn't mix them up at all really. Seattle's third kit would have been the ideal contrast IF it had navy shorts. Could've just picked up some teamwear Adidas navy shorts. Or since SKC wears its jerseys with little rhyme or reason, why not pick tonight to wear navy? I dunno, there's something to be said for monochrome outfits. 

This is how it's looked before, and while SKC's good old days of navy shorts and trim undoubtedly helped, and Sounders kits look different in every photo or video I swear, this still seems fine.

20150927-Sporting-Kc-vs-Seattle-Sounders

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

How would you guys feel about Montreal and Portland having somewhat of a striped matchup this weekend? Since we couldn't get one between Montreal and Atlanta a few weeks ago, I just wonder if it could be a possibility this weekend since Portland has red shorts to go with their secondaries. I think there'd be enough contrast between these two kits:IMG_4246.thumb.JPG.d744cdc83a410adbb77a900b8c23a944.JPGIMG_4244.thumb.JPG.d49aba1b3e6d19adeea2df97146f4c39.JPG

The Timbers had a similar matchup with San Jose last season and contrast wasn't really an issue:

IMG_4249.thumb.JPG.1e13873c5342f611433b355e93f3c371.JPG

It seems likely that the Timbers will just wear green/white/white, but I won't be shocked if they go with the Rose City reds since they've gone three straight weeks without a win (all in the primary kits) and since they wore red their last time in Montreal and came away with a 2-1 win. I guess time will tell, but I thought it was at least an interesting possibility to think about.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Archived