2017 MLS Kit Matchups

upperV03

Alas, no striped matchup this weekend either. The Timbers just announced they'll be wearing green and gold (I'd assume with the white shorts and socks) tomorrow against Montreal. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just one match last night, and it was an ugly one between NYRB and Toronto. It wasn't quite as bad as last season's version since the Red Bulls' new primary doesn't have red sleeves and Toronto's has more dark gray, but it still wasn't appealing at all. Way too much red.

NYRB vs. Toronto:

IMG_4301.PNG.d90370c07c220f4f3b5719ee233fb607.PNG

Keeper kits: light blue (NYRB) vs. black (Toronto)

Refs: yellow

Looks like the league still isn't posting the graphics, so I guess we'll see what the rest of this weekend's matchups look like when they kick off.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Here's how yesterday's matchups looked.

Montreal vs. Portland:

IMG_4452.thumb.JPG.b9ad2790db5e4a0269bd5786e6a2cfbe.JPG

Keeper kits: black (Montreal) vs. red (Portland)

Atlanta vs. Houston:

IMG_4458.JPG.de2c0910b048e4a58b003911dd2470d8.JPG

Keeper kits: green (Atlanta) vs. light blue (Houston)

FCD vs. San Jose:

IMG_4460.thumb.JPG.7cb1c39f663079770fadfecb7348ae39.JPG

Keeper kits: light blue (FCD) vs. green (San Jose)

Seattle vs. RSL:

IMG_4461.JPG.d07a8ef4ea2f1b66c7a8b052ddc8b097.JPG

Keeper kits: black (Seattle) vs. light blue (RSL)

Philadelphia vs. Colorado:

IMG_4462.JPG.9e6d54688b77bfcf399d6960d3e2910d.JPG

Keeper kits: white (Philadelphia) vs. light blue (Colorado)

Refs: red

Vancouver vs. SKC:

IMG_4465.JPG.189a31d1af8d318a6e685384979ca0a3.JPG

Keeper kits: light blue (Vancouver) vs. green (SKC)

DCU vs. Chicago:

IMG_4469.JPG.7cec7e95ad5a759927389ffb34df73ec.JPG

Keeper kits: blue (DCU) vs. green (Chicago)

Also of note from yesterday, Philadelphia wore camo numbers for Military Appreciation Day:

IMG_4473.thumb.JPG.fa98a3117df958f1b3e0db4be012273b.JPG

Ironically, the camo numbers arguably matched the gold on the kits better than the yellowish-gold numbers they usually use. 

But anways, I thought Montreal/Portland and Atlanta/Houston were the best of the bunch yesterday, though I'm still curious how the former would've looked if Portland had gone with their secondaries. That said, I thought the green/white/white provided a really nice contrast to Montreal's striped kits. The same can be said for Houston's orange/white/orange against Atlanta's primaries. Out of curiosity, I hope to see my Timbers wear green/white/green at least once this year to see how it looks, but it probably won't happen since I can't think of a scenario where they would need to wear white shorts but not the white socks as well. As far as the other games go, I thought FCD/San Jose, Seattle/RSL, and Philadelphia/Colorado all looked pretty good too, but a step below Montreal/Portland and Atlanta/Houston (again, just my opinion). Speaking of Philadelphia/Colorado, that matchup  really made me think that the Union should adopt a look similar to the Rapids' yellow/blue/yellow for their own secondaries as sort of a tribute to the Philadelphia flag. @Digby created a concept around that very idea not too long ago and it looked really nice. It'd certainly be a lot better than their drab white, navy, and gold away kits.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Ah yes, the days of me having time to do concepts. But yeah when that new Rapids away came out I immediately wished Philly would wear it. Wish they went light blue and yellow stripes from the very beginning actually, would have been more distinctive imho. 

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Atlanta and Houston was terrible to watch. Red v Orange is a matchup that should be avoided. Houston's black kit, while Atlanta has black stripes, their shirt is mostly red and would have provided the necessary contrast.

Also, side note - is the Adidas ad in the Vancouver picture supposed to be that way, or is it broken? 

ExJworW.png

26 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Atlanta and Houston was terrible to watch. Red v Orange is a matchup that should be avoided. Houston's black kit, while Atlanta has black stripes, their shirt is mostly red and would have provided the necessary contrast.

Also, side note - is the Adidas ad in the Vancouver picture supposed to be that way, or is it broken? 

I watched Atlanta/Houston on my computer and didn't have any issues with the kit matchup. In fact, I thought it looked quite nice. Red vs. orange can make for some really ugly matchups, but not in this case since Atlanta's red is a fairly dark hue, and Houston's orange is somewhat light. Plus, the black stripes on the Atlanta shirt, as well as the black shorts and socks, made it so contrast was more than sufficient with Houston's orange/white/orange kit. You suggest that Houston should've worn their black secondaries, but how on earth would that have provided necessary contrast with Atlanta's kit? Both teams would be black from the waist down, and that's rguably what causes the most issues in terms of contrast for refs and players. That would be an absolute nightmare, and it would be just as bad for people watching the match as well. 

And regarding the bolded part, are you talking about all the green around the Adidas logo on the electronic ad boards? If you are, I'm not completely sure but I assume that's just an illusion created by the photo since it's fairly close up. There could've been some motion in the graphic at the time, and the photo was snapped during that, or the electronic display could've just messed with the camera and caused that illusion since the photo was focused on the players.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

41 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

So LA at Minnesota United and they didn't learn from the Parley for the Seas games.  Grey vs white.

And I thought sporting blue vs white was bad. Just an awful looking matchup with far too little contrast. 

55 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

So LA at Minnesota United and they didn't learn from the Parley for the Seas games.  Grey vs white.

12 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

And I thought sporting blue vs white was bad. Just an awful looking matchup with far too little contrast. 

To be fair, the contrast would've been just about as awful if LA had worn their navy secondaries. Minnesota's shade of gray is right at the point where it contrasts terribly with both white and navy. The only matchup with sufficient contrast would've been Minnesota in white vs. LA in navy, but it wouldn't have been ideal to make Minnesota change at home. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I was just looking at pictures from when SKC wore navy against Minnesota, and yeah, there's not much to be done with that matchup with LA. Too bad the Galaxy don't still have a yellow training jersey that they could have worn like when SKC had to switch to theirs in the USOC against Minnesota. Maybe Minnesota needs to go with a really dark grey, rather than this weirdly in between color they're wearing.

Orlando and NYCFC both wore their primary sets tonight, and they looked great.  After two games in blue shorts, New York City was back in white. 

There was speculation NYCFC was going to break out their Hypnokits, after the club emailed their match preview today under this banner graphic:

IMG_2552.thumb.JPG.3b9a3962e9c94449ef4b651c7dd99749.JPG

But no. Sky blue all the way. 

^Yeesh, that would've been one ugly matchup had NYCFC worn the hypnokits against Orlando in their secondaries. Thankfully that didn't happen, and instead we were treated to a repeat of one of the better matchups of the season so far. And credit to New England and Columbus for recreating their own beautiful kit matchup as well. Both of those games looked really nice, just as they did the first time around. One minor quibble about the New England/Columbus match, and that was the camo numbers the Revs wore for military appreciation. Luckily they weren't all that noticeable in action. Here's how they looked up close:

IMG_4483.thumb.JPG.fdeeb9bd0147ace1f07d7bca2e71a03d.JPG

To wrap things up, here's photos of the weekend's final three games, with the info for the keeper and ref kits as well.

New England/Columbus:

IMG_4475.thumb.JPG.7004c84d9a54e69a17841580ee5c32f6.JPG

Keeper kits: light blue (New England) vs. green (Columbus)

Orlando vs. NYCFC: 

IMG_4480.JPG.4c765054b66b62c4bdee08d1fe2b66a6.JPG

Keeper kits: black (Orlando) vs. green (NYCFC)

Minnesota vs. LA:

IMG_4474.thumb.JPG.def34fcf4264b7f65c7058640ea30bf5.JPG

Keeper kits: green (Minnesota) vs. black (LA)

As has already been mentioned, the Minnesota/LA game was another unfortunate gray vs. white affair. I wish I could say we've seen the last of those for this season, but there will almost undoubtedly be more instances of it as the season progresses, including when the Loons visit Vancouver and LA. Hopefully Minnesota returns to a darker gray for their primaries after the current teamwear-esque kits are retired. They've definitely proven to be problematic, and having white as the secondary kit option hasn't helped much either. The league should hopefully be taking notice, and that goes for the godawful gray and white Parley kits as well.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

On 5/21/2017 at 4:08 PM, Magic Dynasty said:

Must have been something on the TV because in person it was fine. There was a very obvious difference between the two teams. 

Margaret.png
9JR5Pzv.png

^Yeah, even on their own, the shades of red and orange that Atlanta and Houston use are pretty easy to tell apart. It's a little bit different on fabric since it gets darker with sweat from the players, but even then the different colors were still easy to tell apart. Couple that with the fact that Atlanta's kit is heavy on black, and Houston's is paired with white shorts and accents, and you have a really nice matchup that definitely has sufficient contrast.

IMG_4512.PNG.55e0d53cadf86bef2ceb3ac1af7a53a0.PNGIMG_4511.PNG.ad562a5912444e4fee3a21b599591949.PNGIMG_4458.JPG.419073c7db60195f33e08ff1c12b6628.JPG

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

On 5/21/2017 at 8:47 PM, Red Wolf said:

I was just looking at pictures from when SKC wore navy against Minnesota, and yeah, there's not much to be done with that matchup with LA. Too bad the Galaxy don't still have a yellow training jersey that they could have worn like when SKC had to switch to theirs in the USOC against Minnesota. Maybe Minnesota needs to go with a really dark grey, rather than this weirdly in between color they're wearing.

Our gray in the NASL was a lot darker the last couple years. Hoping they change the gray to that next year. Heck, I wouldn't mind keeping the same design as the light gray and just making it black. 

There weren't any league matches yesterday, but there were two Canadian Championship semifinal first leg matches featuring MLS sides. I figured I might as well include the kit matchups here, and I'll likely do the same for the US Open Cup games that feature MLS clubs.

Ottawa vs. Toronto:

IMG_4525.thumb.JPG.4d60351fe3224c37d043e63e0c6bae80.JPG

Keeper kits: black (Ottawa) vs. light blue (Toronto)

Vancouver vs. Montreal:

IMG_4524.thumb.JPG.16fbc4d53c8d1104da4a92f831c286b3.JPG

Keeper kits: red (Vancouver) vs. light blue (Montreal)

The game in Ottawa kind of looked like a Toronto instasquad scrimmage, but it was still a decent looking game. The kit matchup in Vancouver/Montreal was the same as when they squared off in league play earlier this season, and it proved to be a pretty good looking affair once again (though I'm still not a big fan of Vancouver's home kits).

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Archived