2017 MLS Kit Matchups

upperV03

13 minutes ago, Digby said:

Seeing conflicting reports on an MLS/Adidas deal increase.

Those are very far-apart numbers!

MLS currently getting $15 mil per year, right? Doubling up seems like good business, going more than 10x the current rate seems almost hard to believe... but it's a different league nowadays.

I want to say it's on the lower end, but $30m/year seems too low to me, too.  I could see something like 6 years, $300-400m.  But that's a WAG.

And adidas signed an 8 year/$200 million deal in 2010 ($25m/year).  Prior to 2010, it was $15m/year.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2010/08/20100830/This-Weeks-News/Adidas-Ups-MLS-Bet-With-$200M-Deal.aspx

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jack Bell later tweeted that his original report was low, and that the actual amount was something like 3x greater.  So $90M a year.  

Current deal is $25M a year.  But consider that was before NYCFC, Orlando, LAFC and Atlanta, among others. The league is in a very different position than it was when the last extension was signed. 

15 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Jack Bell later tweeted that his original report was low, and that the actual amount was something like 3x greater.  So $90M a year.  

Current deal is $25M a year.  But consider that was before NYCFC, Orlando, LAFC and Atlanta, among others. The league is in a very different position than it was when the last extension was signed. 

Jack did tweet "more than 3x previous report" of $30m/year...$117m would be more than 3x, and not quite 4x....just seems like it would be a huge business leap to go from $25m to $117m.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

5 hours ago, Corvus said:

I don't mind the adidas extension now that they are putting the stripes on the sides on some kits instead of being on the shoulders on every single kit. 

It'll rotate each year. I'd prefer they not be worn at all but it is what it is.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Yeah, Adidas will put their stripes in different places each year.  But I happen to like the epaulette look, limiting them to the shoulders instead of running them down the sleeves.

9 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Jack did tweet "more than 3x previous report" of $30m/year...$117m would be more than 3x, and not quite 4x....just seems like it would be a huge business leap to go from $25m to $117m.

Sure it is, but think of how the league has grown since 2010.  We have expansion in New York and Los Angeles, Atlanta and Orlando have come into the league.  The contract is obviously worth a lot more.  What's encouraging to me is that the term is shorter - only six years.  And it's up before the 2026 World Cup, which could be a huge launching point for MLS.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, Adidas will put their stripes in different places each year.  But I happen to like the epaulette look, limiting them to the shoulders instead of running them down the sleeves.

I can't think if any better treatment of the 3 stripes than this. The side stripes were ok, but this season's kits are much better.

If Cristiano Ronaldo is going to play at LAFC in two years, I bet it's worth quite to Adidas for him to stay in three stripes. $117M/year? That's a lot of jersey sales.

Good for MLS. I hope they can put that money into players.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

BTW, I thought everything in Chicago looked really great last night:

2017-MLS-ASG-images-002.jpg

2017-MLS-ASG-images-025_0.jpg

2017-MLS-ASG-images-018.jpg

MLS keeper shirt looks dumb, but otherwise, pretty handsome matchup.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's a shame that Atlanta and Orlando won't wear their primary kits against each other. This is what we've gotten in each of the three games this season:

IMG_2029.JPG

IMG_2030.JPG

IMG_2032.JPG

Atlanta and Orlando's Unified teams have played each other and both times they wore the primary kits. I think it looks great and would work.

IMG_2028.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Archived