9 News is a local news station in Denver, Colorado. They use a fairly generic, bland, and sometimes complex identity that's well-known but just not that good, imo. Their app icon and logo is below.

Old Pres.png

I really just wanted to clean that all up, and make it more modern, unique, and nicer. It's not a huge change, but I think it's at least an update. What I've got is below.

Pres.png

I changed the font to be more circular and modern, closed the '9', and cleaned up the app. Here are the white versions of those.

Pres2.png

I also updated their website's colors and logo, along with a bunch of fake news titles. That's below.

9 News Website.png

I know it's not a major upgrade, but I think more news outlets need to get cleaner, more unique identities, even if it's minor changes like these.

Obviously your versions are cleaner.

But a network-affilliated station loses no opportunity to tout that connection.  So the app thumbnail has to have the peacock in there.  Why not try a design in which the 9 takes the place of the peacock's body, with the feathers coming out of it?

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

50 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

But a network-affilliated station loses no opportunity to tout that connection.  So the app thumbnail has to have the peacock in there.  Why not try a design in which the 9 takes the place of the peacock's body, with the feathers coming out of it?

Like this? I have two versions, even if they're a little rough..

9 News App BLUE NBC PRES.png

9 News App BLUE NBC 2 PRES.png

24 minutes ago, Zeus89725 said:

Like this? I have two versions, even if they're a little rough..

9 News App BLUE NBC PRES.png

9 News App BLUE NBC 2 PRES.png

Hmm. The clear hole in the 9 makes it look unfinished.  And the blue hole doesn't look right because it breaks up the spectrum of colours.

Is it possible to fashion that gap in the 9 in the shape of the peacock's head? Maybe it can be white in the centre, outlined by the colours of the two middle feathers.  (I hope you can follow this clumsy description.)

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

No problems with the upgrade whatsoever, but this is kinda-sorta the end of a era.  9NEWS/KUSA had been using their almost-iconic logo (sans the NBC peacock) as far back as I can remember.

Hold on.. timeout.. This is just a concept? Wrong forum, bruh.

6uXNWAo.png

This would be a great upgrade. It's almost...too stylish for Tegna, which more and more feels like a TV station group adrift.

One problem is that many of the "9 on top of peacock" concepts would probably violate the network's logo use conditions.

On 3/4/2017 at 10:12 PM, Cujo said:

No problems with the upgrade whatsoever, but this is kinda-sorta the end of a era.  9NEWS/KUSA had been using their almost-iconic logo (sans the NBC peacock) as far back as I can remember.

Hold on.. timeout.. This is just a concept? Wrong forum, bruh.

No not necessarily, its just general design, not sports related. No reason to bog down the concepts with anything non sports related.

a2BRS8U.png

Your second updated version is much better. What's stood out to me in your recent company rebrands is the generic fonts you tend to use. Yeah, what they have isn't the nicest, but they use a "heading" font, not a "body" font. IMO, body fonts, with which you can type out an essay, web page blurb, newspaper article, etc. can't be used for logos. So, I'd start off with a different font, maybe keep the unique characteristics of the old logo (like the slash through the 9) and build on your second version of your update.

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

Archived